Go Back   Cult Labs > Film Discussions > General Film Discussions

Like Tree179039Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 11th March 2018, 03:01 PM
Cult Don
Cult Labs Radio Contributor
Good Trader
Senior Moderator

This week, I've continued to watch films from the Hitchcock Masterpiece Collection, have been to the cinema, had a large delivery from 88 Films, and am making good headway with the Columbo boxset. I won't comment on the latter here, but stick to the films in the order I watched them.

After making Torn Curtain (1966), TOPAZ is another spy-thriller, this time partly set in Cuba, with John Vernon playing a character seemingly based on Fidel Castro. It is exceptionally well-made, but suffers from the lack of star power – no James Stewart, Cary Grant, Grace Kelly, Henry Fonda, Tippi Hedren, Sean Connery, or Kim Novak as charisma, and I couldn't help but feel that the story was a bit over-plotted. Apparently Hitchcock wasn't well at the time and felt this (and Torn Curtain) was "forced" on him by the studio. It's a great film, but has no sense of fun and even the scenes which should have the most tension or psychosexual underpinning feels slightly flat compared to his earlier films.

FAMILY PLOT is probably well known as Hitchcock's last film, released four years after Frenzy (1972) and comes close to the screwball comedy of The Trouble with Harry (1955) at times, though with at least one suspenseful action sequence. I think that this is the only Hitchcock film with two clearly defined narratives, though the double plot in Rear Window is close. This is different as it has two clearly defined narratives, one involving a fake psychic and her taxi driving boyfriend who want to find an elderly millionaire's nephew – the heir to a fortune – and collect the reward. The other couple in the film are kidnappers who demand a ransom to be paid in jewellery, particularly gem stones. Where the twin narrative pays off is the revelation that the mystery nephew is one of the kidnappers, something neither party initially knows. Although this is distinctly second tier Hitchcock, it is still extremely well done and much more engaging than Topaz or Torn Curtain, with Bruce Dern, Barbara Harris, William Devane and Karen Black making a fine cast.

THE MAN WHO KNEW TOO MUCH (1956) is an interesting example of a director re-making one of his own films. I'm not sure whether it is objectively 'better' than the 1934 film, but I really like James Stewart and Doris Day as the main couple, the emotional impact of 'Que Sera, Sera', and the climactic at the Royal Albert Hall or make this very memorable. However, and it's been many years since I saw the 1934 version, I remember preferring the third act in Wapping, with the criminal gang surrounded by the police and the mother saving her child (and daughter in that film) with her sharp shooting prowess. Both films have their merits and I don't think there's a right or wrong answer as to which one is better as they are both brilliant in different ways.

Made to look as if it takes place in real time and shot in a single take, ROPE is as audacious as it is masterful. Based on the Leopold and Loeb murder of a 14-year-old boy, something which was also the inspiration for Compulsion, Richard Fleischer's superb crime drama with a powerful performance by Orson Welles as their attorney. Anyway, I digress, and one of the most overlooked aspects of Rope is the rather startling beginning, with John Dall and Farley Granger struggling someone to death – I'm struggling to think of another Hitchcock film which opens with anything so audacious and unsettling. It is a technical masterpiece with the camera work and design to make it appear as if it shot in one take groundbreaking for the time, and quite difficult to do 70 years later.

REAR WINDOW is one of Hitchcock's most celebrated and loved films, one which is so influential it's been referenced everything from The Simpsons to The Tenant, Dirty Harry to Dead of Winter. I mentioned the double plot earlier and this has the relationship drama between "Jeff" Jefferies and his girlfriend Lisa, and the murder investigation where Jeff believes a man in an apartment opposite his has murdered his wife, slowly convincing Lisa, his nurse, and a friend (a sceptical detective) that it's more than a fantasy developed by an adventurers photographer with a bit of cabin fever. This is one of the top tier Hitchcock films, one in which every element works to perfection, and the commentary about voyeurism and the morality of taking pleasure in others' misfortune (a main theme in Michael Powell's Peeping Tom) is relevant in these days of social media and YouTube.

LADY BIRD is a film I wanted to watch before the Oscars and was amazed it wasn't showing anywhere near me prior to the ceremony. With Greta Gerwig nominated for Best Director and Original Screenplay, Saoirse Ronan the Best Actress and Laurie Metcalf for Best Supporting Actress, I had high expectations about its quality but, due to the sparse trailer, since very little about the film's content. It's quite strange because Lady Bird is a film in which not much happens but there are many memorable moments. The film largely takes place in Sacramento during the titular character, Christine "Lady Bird" MacPherson's senior year at a Catholic high school. The main themes are similar to other films about high school children: relationships, friends, drugs, parents, growing up, financial struggles, applying to college, extra curricular activities, academic pressures and are so well written and delivered that they feel authentic and really meaningful and pack an emotional punch. Although this is very much around a fractured relationship between a mother and daughter, with both actors rightfully recognised by their award nominations and wins, there are notable performances by Tracy Letts as Lady Bird's sympathetic father, and Lucas Hedges (who was superb in Manchester by the Sea last year) as her first object of affection; Letts should feel agreed that not being Oscar nominated alongside his co-stars.

For a debut film, it's an astonishing achievement for Greta Gerwig who handled the directing duties with aplomb and some of the dialogue is so good it's not hard to imagine Tracy Letts being impressed and jealous. This is a funny, moving, and insightful film which I look forward to watching again when it is released to buy in a few months.

BLOOD HARVEST is about as far from Lady Bird as one can get in the same week, featuring Tiny Tim, best known for singing Tiptoe through the Tulips, in his first (and possibly only) serious film role, playing 'Marvelous Mervo', a man who is permanently dressed in a clown costume and seemingly has brain damage. The film follows Jill, a young woman who returns home from college to see her parents who are nowhere to be seen. As her father was the bank supervisor who for closed many local farms, just about everyone in town hates her family, and it seems the only people who are pleased to see Jill are Gary, an ex boyfriend of hers and his brother, the aforementioned Marvelous Mervo. With her parents missing and townspeople close to Jill disappearing and murdered by being knocked out with chloroform, hung upside down and their throats cut, the killer could be any of the agrieved farmers.

This has so many weird and offkilter elements that I was frequently wrongfooted and surprised; there are some scenes which are genuinely unnerving and suspenseful, others which are strangely comedic, and some which are not quite gruesome, but definitely nasty. Anything which involves someone being hung from the rafter is in a barn and thrashing about with blood pouring from a slit in the throat is (intentionally) unpleasant. Throw in a surprising appearance by a young Peter Krause (perhaps best known for playing Nate in Six Feet Under) as Jill's boyfriend and Marvelous Mervo's occasional Greek chorus with his song about Gary and Jill, to the tune of 'Jack and Jill' then you have a very strange mix of ingredients which, when used inconsistently, don't give you much chance to settle.

This new 88 Films Blu-ray release looks and sounds remarkably good for a low-budget film of its age and I'm not sure if it's because I was expecting something truly awful, but I thought this had a strange sort of charm and although I could quibble with the 'Slasher Classics' designation, it's a curio which benefits from it weirdness and something I'll revisit in a few days, if not before.
Old 11th March 2018, 03:04 PM
Cult King
Senior Moderator

Ironmaster (1983)

Italian epic set at the dawn of time, when bison roamed the plains and George Eastman wore a loin cloth and sported an unconvincing lion on his head.

Terrible dubbing doesn't help body builder Sam Pasco in his sole film role, neither does his dodgy barnet that makes him look like a member of Steel Panther who borrowed Arnie's body for the afternoon.

Director Umberto Lenzi clearly does something right though as this is curiously entertaining and genuinely enjoyable.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 3c8257631517e1a56f50a3d7119a344f.jpg (86.4 KB, 4 views)
Old 11th March 2018, 03:31 PM
Cult Don
Good Trader
Senior Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Demdike@Cult Labs View Post
Ironmaster (1983)

Italian epic set at the dawn of time, when bison roamed the plains and George Eastman wore a loin cloth and sported an unconvincing lion on his head.
Take a bow, Demdike. Take a bow!
Old 11th March 2018, 05:59 PM
Cult Veteran
Good Trader

Sold

Kudos. Vaguely remember it from vhs rental days ....

[B]
"... the days ahead will be filled with struggle ... and coated in marzipan ... "[/B]
Old 11th March 2018, 06:12 PM
Seasoned Cultist

I remember this from the VHS days, and even with all the dross I would hire out and sit through with very questionable covers to pull me in, I still gave this one a miss! Why? I don't know, it has tits, blood and prehistoric creatures on the front!

Intrigued to sit through it now.

1a571f286bf9e9adb7868e050daaa04a.jpg
keirarts and nosferatu42 like this.
Old 11th March 2018, 06:19 PM
Cult King
Senior Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by profondo rosso View Post
I remember this from the VHS days, and even with all the dross I would hire out and sit through with very questionable covers to pull me in, I still gave this one a miss! Why? I don't know, it has tits, blood and prehistoric creatures on the front!

Intrigued to sit through it now.

Attachment 202226
Don't expect tits, blood and prehistoric creatures when you come to watch it though.
Old 11th March 2018, 06:45 PM
Seasoned Cultist

Damn, still after 35 years I am being fooled by VHS covers!!
Old 11th March 2018, 07:22 PM
Cult Veteran
Good Trader

7/10

7.5/10

6/10

Tonight's viewings.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Demons Of Ludlow (0).jpg (94.7 KB, 2 views)
File Type: jpg mirror-mirror-movie-poster-1990-1010297782.jpg (13.6 KB, 3 views)
Old 11th March 2018, 08:37 PM
Cult Veteran
Good Trader

Class Of 1999 (1990, Mark L Lester)

Frank Zagari .... er, Stacy Keach is hired by headmaster Malcolm McDowell to get his charges to 'fly right' or some other Murican tosh. Cue utter mayhem on a second tier scale the like of which etc etc. Exploitation gold. Why there isn't a musical based on this
Ahem.

[B]
"... the days ahead will be filled with struggle ... and coated in marzipan ... "[/B]
Old 11th March 2018, 09:10 PM
Cult Addict

Burst city.

Rival biker gangs in a run down dystopian Tokyo war with each other and the cops over a proposed nuclear power plant. The plot is interspersed with live music from various Japanese punk bands.
If the plot sounds sparse, well it is. Burst City, while being a punk rock sci-fi musical is more of a time capsule of its era as well as showing where Japanese cinema would be headed from the 90's onward. Directed by Sogo Ishii in 1982 its full of scenes that feel inspired by the cult B movies Japan would turn out through the 70's while being trans-formative and feeling like something new. The director was friends with most of the bands and the anarchic, grainy footage shot live at actual gigs feels very raw and in keeping with the surprisingly subversive plotline. Its influence on directors like Shinya Tsukamoto and Takeshi Miike is evident from the get go as well.

Wild zero

Another Japanese punk rock epic. This one shot 17 years after Burst city. Ace is a young punk and fan of Guitar wolf. After assisting them against a crooked venue manager and drug pusher he's made their blood brother and given a whistle to call the band if he ever finds himself in trouble. On the road home Ace inadvertently thwarts a gas station robbery and falls for the girl working as an attendants. Things get complicated when a zombie plague hits the town, fortunately Guitar wolf are on hand when things get rough.
A fun film to double bill with Burst city. Wild Zero is knowingly self aware of how crazy it is and embraces it fully. Its completely nuts, hilarious and gore soaked. Highly recommended.

Like this? Share it using the links below!