Cult Labs

Go Back   Cult Labs > Film Discussions > General Film Discussions

Like Tree179029Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 17th March 2018, 04:41 PM
Cult Acolyte

Quote:
Originally Posted by Demdike@Cult Labs View Post
Bruce Campbell vs. Army Of Darkness (1992)

Also watch out for the Deadite making the Xena war cry, it's sure to make fans of that series smile.
Old 17th March 2018, 04:48 PM
Cultist on the Rampage
Cult Labs Radio Contributor

Finally checked out Eraserhead. What a bonkers film.

Don't quite know what to make of it!
Old 17th March 2018, 05:12 PM
Cult King
Senior Moderator

The Midnight Man (2016)

A girl and her friends find a game in the attic that summons a creature known as the Midnight Man, who uses their worst fears against them.

The usual teen actors, who are all incidentally pretty good, are given a helping hand by genre stars Lin Shaye and Robert Englund. Whilst Shaye's roll is mainly a rant-a-thon, Englund produces a subtle performance that gives proceedings a bit of class in an affair that most genre fans will be quite familiar with as the film really isn't anything new. The whole scenario is a Ouija mixed with The Devil Rides Out's 'Stay inside the circle' routine as malevolent forces gather and attempt to prey on the gamers in some apparent pagan ritual.

This seems to be one of those films where people either love or hate it. Comments range from "Worst film ever" to "Classic horror". Well in my opinion it's actually neither. The Midnight Man is a decent watch with some effective scenes, a well realised monster and one or two moments of creepiness following a deadly dull opening forty minutes.
Old 17th March 2018, 07:28 PM
Cult Veteran
Good Trader

Highlander (1986, Russel Mulcahy)
Highlander II: The Quickening (1997, Russell Mulcahy)

Well. The first is a Cannon film to the core, what with the usual disregard for convention and that, Clancy Brown chewing that scenery like a good un as the villain of the piece.
Cut to the sequel that no one was surely crying themselves to sleep over? Mickey Ironside takes Brown's place ... and there some vague corporate scifi mishmash in the background ... but it's bidness as usual with the swords even pointier than last time. Ahem. At least there's less Queen in the ST
I wonder what the next one will be like??

[B]
"... the days ahead will be filled with struggle ... and coated in marzipan ... "[/B]
Old 17th March 2018, 07:54 PM
Cult Master
Good Trader
Senior Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Demoncrat View Post
Highlander (1986, Russel Mulcahy)

Highlander II: The Quickening (1997, Russell Mulcahy)

Well. The first is a Cannon film to the core, what with the usual disregard for convention and that, Clancy Brown chewing that scenery like a good un as the villain of the piece.

Cut to the sequel that no one was surely crying themselves to sleep over? Mickey Ironside takes Brown's place ... and there some vague corporate scifi mishmash in the background ... but it's bidness as usual with the swords even pointier than last time. Ahem. At least there's less Queen in the ST

I wonder what the next one will be like??

Which version of Highlander 2 did you watch?
Demoncrat and keirarts like this.
Old 17th March 2018, 07:58 PM
Cult Veteran
Good Trader

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stephen@Cult Labs View Post
Which version of Highlander 2 did you watch?

The EIV Uk dvd. 4:3.
Yes, the 86 min one.

I know, I know ...
keirarts likes this.

[B]
"... the days ahead will be filled with struggle ... and coated in marzipan ... "[/B]
Old 17th March 2018, 08:27 PM
Cult Master
Good Trader
Senior Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Demoncrat View Post

The EIV Uk dvd. 4:3.

Yes, the 86 min one.

I know, I know ...

No, no, hey I do like that version. Yeah it’s crap, but it’s the version I first saw, so I’ve always had a soft spot for it.
Demoncrat and keirarts like this.
Old 17th March 2018, 08:41 PM
Cultist on the Rampage

After Loving Silent Night Deadly Night & enjoying part 2, i thought i would import part 3 from germany as it's regarded as the best of the follow ons. 45 mins in and lots of 80's sub elm street psychobabble later & i'm just bored! A blind woman & a guy in a coma off to do some killin' share a psychic connection, but basically it's Bill Moseley wondering around in hospital garb & a strange headpiece, want to give up but paid £18 for it so forcing myself through!

Conversly watched Todd Browning's Freaks last night, great film (Amazing how much of American Horror Story Freak show was taken wholesale from this) and a great package on the uk warner dvd, commentary by Rudy Behlmer (not listened to yet), alternate endings, new introduction & a great over an hour long documentary! Pick it up if you are a fan!
Old 17th March 2018, 08:52 PM
Cult Veteran
Good Trader

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stephen@Cult Labs View Post
No, no, hey I do like that version. Yeah it’s crap, but it’s the version I first saw, so I’ve always had a soft spot for it.
Nae bother. I do remember watching it at the time. Nonplussed was I then ... enjoyed it more today ....
keirarts likes this.

[B]
Old 17th March 2018, 09:15 PM
Cult Veteran
Good Trader

The Day Afrer (1983, Nicholas Meyer)
A handful of plucky actors try and survive in a post apocalyptic scenario without breaking character OR see John Lithgow with hair .

[B]

Like this? Share it using the links below!