Madman (1982)

***1/2 out of *****

The Disaster Artist (2017)

**** out of *****

Guardians of the Galaxy (2014)

**** out of *****

Guardians of the Galaxy: Vol. 2 (2017)

**** out of *****

In-depth analysis on horror, exploitation, and other shocking cinema @ Cinematic Shocks
Old 25th March 2018, 03:10 PM
Cult Addict

Monty Python and the Holy Grail
Really it needs no introduction.
Still love it, still a great laugh and is still my favourite Monty Python film.
10/10

Sent from my MediaPad T1 8.0 Pro using Tapatalk
Old 25th March 2018, 03:30 PM
Cult Addict

Dune (1984) Alternative Edition Redux fanedit (178 min)

0087182.jpg

I'm not going into the story on this one because i'm sure everyone's seem it already, it's a divisive film but i've always enjoyed it ever since i saw it at the cinema as a young kid.
The problem most people have with the cinema version is that the universe is not very well explained and the story rushed.
I've always seen it as a darker and more adult sci-fi film, and always really liked the design of the costumes specifically the desert and Harkonnen suits.

dune-knife-fight.jpg

Anyway after growing up with the cinema version i next moved on to the Tv version which i have, that version has extra scenes but screws up the pace and the way the story flows.
The still drawing intro added to explain the story in more depth i found to be a load of shite.

So basically both versions had their downpoints.

dune-1984-sandworm-special-effects-review-600x330.jpg

This version i watched has been put together by a fan and is to me a revelation.
The maker has used the film and Tv versions and deleted scenes and has edited them together in a way that makes the pace so much better and makes it so much easy to follow the story.
Instead of just placing all the scenes together he has been selective, removing the shite TV intro but cleverly incorporated elements of it into a history file that Paul reads at moments in the story.

Also the Tv scenes have been rearranged so they make much more sense when fused with the original film. He has also removed much of the voice overs which were intrusive and used editing software to colour correct scenes and add minor edits to sound throughout.

The story is now divided into four chapters like a book, apparently from online discussions this version seems to follow the original story more closely, also a plot point at the end has been altered in this version which apparently really pissed off Dune novel fans originally.
I have to admit i have never made it all the way through the novel, which is probably why i enjoyed the film for what it was anyway.

But anyway this alternate version for me was so much more immersive than either of the versions available on DVD/Blu and finally pulls all the elements together to make a coherent story.
Lynch won't go back to do a Director's cut himself so as far as i'm concerned this is the best version at present and it really deserves to be released officially.

As it is this is presently on a social media site beginning with Y.( make sure you enter the correct title as above)
So if you are a Dune fan get it watched while you can.

Czrch5mVQAIpwR4 (2).jpg

New version 9/10

MIKE: I've got it! Peter Cushing! We've got to drive a stake through his heart!
VYVYAN: Great! I'll get the car!
NEIL: I'll get a cushion.
Old 25th March 2018, 03:37 PM
Cult Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by nosferatu42 View Post
Dune (1984) Alternative Edition Redux fanedit (178 min)

Attachment 202552

I'm not going into the story on this one because i'm sure everyone's seem it already, it's a divisive film but i've always enjoyed it ever since i saw it at the cinema as a young kid.
The problem most people have with the cinema version is that the universe is not very well explained and the story rushed.
I've always seen it as a darker and more adult sci-fi film, and always really liked the design of the costumes specifically the desert and Harkonnen suits.

Attachment 202549

Anyway after growing up with the cinema version i next moved on to the Tv version which i have, that version has extra scenes but screws up the pace and the way the story flows.
The still drawing intro added to explain the story in more depth i found to be a load of shite.

So basically both versions had their downpoints.

Attachment 202550

This version i watched has been put together by a fan and is to me a revelation.
The maker has used the film and Tv versions and deleted scenes and has edited them together in a way that makes the pace so much better and makes it so much easy to follow the story.
Instead of just placing all the scenes together he has been selective, removing the shite TV intro but cleverly incorporated elements of it into a history file that Paul reads at moments in the story.

Also the Tv scenes have been rearranged so they make much more sense when fused with the original film. He has also removed much of the voice overs which were intrusive and used editing software to colour correct scenes and add minor edits to sound throughout.

The story is now divided into four chapters like a book, apparently from online discussions this version seems to follow the original story more closely, also a plot point at the end has been altered in this version which apparently really pissed off Dune novel fans originally.
I have to admit i have never made it all the way through the novel, which is probably why i enjoyed the film for what it was anyway.

But anyway this alternate version for me was so much more immersive than either of the versions available on DVD/Blu and finally pulls all the elements together to make a coherent story.
Lynch won't go back to do a Director's cut himself so as far as i'm concerned this is the best version at present and it really deserves to be released officially.

As it is this is presently on a social media site beginning with Y. So if you are a Dune fan get it watched while you can.

Attachment 202551

New version 9/10
It's a shame we never got Jodorowsky's vision

Sent from my MediaPad T1 8.0 Pro using Tapatalk
Old 25th March 2018, 03:53 PM
Cult Addict

Much as i'd have liked to have seen Jodorowsky's version, we would probably still be in the same situation if he'd made it.

It would have been a unique vision of the book but would have been so confusing, bizarre and offbeat that obsessive fans of the novel would hate it as it would divert radically from the original.

The film would surely have been taken out of his hands and re edited at some point and like Lynch's version it would have been filled with grotesque characters.

As a filmmaker he's brilliant and a favourite of mine, but is not one of the most coherent directors.
keirarts and Frankie Teardrop like this.

MIKE: I've got it! Peter Cushing! We've got to drive a stake through his heart!
VYVYAN: Great! I'll get the car!
NEIL: I'll get a cushion.
Old 25th March 2018, 04:08 PM
Cultist on the Rampage

Quote:
Originally Posted by Demdike@Cult Labs View Post
Doctor X (1932)

An early thirties Technicolor thriller from Casablanca / Mildred Pierce director Michael Curtiz, and the very first horror film to be filmed in colour.

Starring Lionel Atwill and King Kong leading lady Fay Wray, the film centers on a series of cannibalistic killings in New York that are traced back to Atwill's Gothic mansion / medical school. Taking it upon himself he uses his daughter (Wray) as bait in an attempt to discover which one of his staff is the killer.

This is quite good and although the colour isn't brilliant it is creepily effective. The film is quite chilling at times, especially a synthetic flesh sequence, but is let down at other times by a comedy like performance from Lee Tracy as a wise cracking reporter and Wray who treats us to her full repertoire of screams. Despite this Doctor X is a film whose charms certainly outweigh the flaws and i found it all very enjoyable.
The WB Hollywood Legends Of Horror double pack of this goes for crazy money. Which edition do you have, out of interest? The Atwill set?

I've just been looking, and spotted there's a US WB Archive 6 film set, which is much less pricey.
keirarts likes this.
Old 25th March 2018, 04:31 PM
Cult King
Cult Labs Radio Contributor
Senior Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by BAKA View Post
The WB Hollywood Legends Of Horror double pack of this goes for crazy money. Which edition do you have, out of interest? The Atwill set?

I've just been looking, and spotted there's a US WB Archive 6 film set, which is much less pricey.
I have the WB Archive release. It's an on demand release as you are probably aware but has all the commentaries and extras ported over from the original release.

I never got round to buying the original box set so was rather happy when the Archive version became available.

After a bit of thread searching here's my copy.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg DSCF5228 (Large).jpg (94.9 KB, 8 views)
BAKA, Demoncrat, keirarts and 1 others like this.
Old 25th March 2018, 04:48 PM
Cult Acolyte

I watched Das Cabinet Des Dr Caligari by MoC, which has recently prompted me to write a list of ones I want.
Old 25th March 2018, 05:07 PM
Cult Veteran
Good Trader

Evil Brain From Outer Space (1964)
More muricanised Asian mayhem. I is positive that it's Raymond Burr doing the voiceover. Featuring 'Starman' ... a flying cape 'from beyond'. Bonkers in an episodic way ....

[B]
"... the days ahead will be filled with struggle ... and coated in marzipan ... "[/B]
Old 26th March 2018, 06:11 AM
Seasoned Cultist

Avengers: Age of Ultron (2015)

Disappointing compared to the great first Avengers film, but definitely still worth a watch.

*** out of *****

In-depth analysis on horror, exploitation, and other shocking cinema @ Cinematic Shocks

Like this? Share it using the links below!