Go Back   Cult Labs > Film Discussions > General Film Discussions
All AlbumsBlogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Like Tree179515Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 28th March 2018, 11:23 AM
Cult Veteran
Good Trader

Shivers

Come to Starliner Towers!! The place is clean and friendly (just a hint of Ballard to make you uneasy in those pristine corridors ...). What could be nicer? Chewing your own foot off methinks. A film that just relishes in unsettling imagery. Stride into a brand new vision of hell (or drive )

RECOMMENDED to the 3 people who haven't seen it yet.

The Meaning Of Life (1983)
Welcome antidote to DC's placid morbidity. "Ping!" ... "Can we 'ave your liver then??" ... "It was the salmon mousse!!" etc. Silly but older, there is a cruel edge here that was previously tampered I felt. Great songs as well.

[B]
"... the days ahead will be filled with struggle ... and coated in marzipan ... "[/B]
Old 28th March 2018, 03:40 PM
Cult Acolyte

Anchorman

I had heard of this film starring Will Farrell and I never got round to watching it, but when I did I found it quite funny with plenty of familiar faces in it and the film was quite slapstick funny and the way the men acted towards the woman anchor was funny.

Execetive Descision

This is an old film so everyone and their mother has seen it. It's about terrorists that take over a plane and a group of soldiers sneak on lead my Big Stevie Seagal and a geek Kurt Russell. Watching it back I realised the soldiers didn't really do much. Stevie was a quick cameo and once again it cut off at the end where Kurt was trying to land the plane.
Old 28th March 2018, 09:11 PM
Cult Veteran
Good Trader

Alien3 1992

After escaping L-V426, a EEV carrying Ripley, Hicks, Newt and Bishop crash lands on Fiorina 161, a all male prison planet, Ripley the only sole survivor of the crash has brought with her a alien, with no weapons and the prison population being killed off they band together and try to kill the alien with what they have.

This third installment is not as good as the previous films even though there are two versions of this film, the theatrical version and the directors version which the alien comes out of a Ox (theatrical version alien comes out of a dog), there is more extended scenes and the alien doesnt burst from Ripley at the end.

The original story was supposed to be a monastary instead of a prison, some of the sets were built but due to story changes there are some things that didnt change.

Due to alot of intereference from movie execs and problems while during filming the script was changed many times. Director David Fincher did try and hold everything together and was basically pushed to completion.

The Alien in this film is like the previous movies dark and scary but in some scenes it looks like very bad CGI effects that is badly inserted. There is a good star cast, Charles Dance, Charles S Dutton, Paul McGann and Lance Henriksen but they couldnt save this movie. 5 out of 10.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg v1.jpg (15.3 KB, 5 views)
Old 29th March 2018, 01:32 AM
Cult Veteran
Good Trader

Alien: Resurrection 1997

200 years passed since Ellen Ripley killed herself on Fiorina 161. A group of scientists have cloned her and the alien queen to breed a new species of Alien, Along with a band of space Pirates who strive to survive the species and prevent them from reaching earth.

From writer Joss Whedon comes the fourth installment of the Alien franchise that could have ended by the 3rd movie, this is far better than Alien3.

Like the first movie this is set on a spaceship, there is weapons as well but seems to lack the suspense of the previous films, this isn't the edge of your seat, nail biting sequel.

H.R Giger magnificently designed the Alien creatures and gave us a brand new design of the somewhat puppy dog eyed Alien but was never credited in the film which would have been a kick to the nuts.

Whedon has gone on to say that his original script was different to what was filmed and deviated to what we are shown and there is in the special edition a different opening and some scenes extended.

There is good casting in this from Ron Perlman, Michael Wincott, Gary Douglas, Winona Ryder and Brad Douriff as the doctor who is probably glad that there was glass between him and a alien. 6.5 out of 10.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 41AYSZ59PBL._SY445_.jpg (17.2 KB, 5 views)
Old 29th March 2018, 07:19 AM
Seasoned Cultist

I really like the Assembly Cut of Alien 3, as it's much closer to David Fincher's true vision, but even the theatrical version is worth a watch. I think it's much better than Alien: Resurrection, and the last good entry in the series. The last five films (including the AVP spin-offs) have run the franchise into the ground.
keirarts and MrBarlow like this.

In-depth analysis on horror, exploitation, and other shocking cinema @ Cinematic Shocks
Old 29th March 2018, 09:19 AM
Cultist on the Rampage

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cinematic Shocks View Post
Pacific Rim (2013)

***1/2 out of *****

Pacific Rim Uprising (2018)

While not as good as Del Toro's first film, I had an OK time with it. I thought it was goofy fluff making for an entertaining couple of hours. Passable fun.

*** out of *****
Pacific Rim is such cheesy pap.

"We is cancellin' the apocalypse!"
Old 29th March 2018, 10:42 AM
Cult Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cinematic Shocks View Post
I really like the Assembly Cut of Alien 3, as it's much closer to David Fincher's true vision, but even the theatrical version is worth a watch. I think it's much better than Alien: Resurrection, and the last good entry in the series. The last five films (including the AVP spin-offs) have run the franchise into the ground.
I refuse to consider the AvP films as canon. That said i have a lot of time for the first one. Requiem on the other hand is misguided arse fodder that seemed to be catering to the teen market. Prometheus is superb and personally I enjoy it more than either Scott's somewhat plodding original or Cameron's overlong shoot em up.
Old 29th March 2018, 07:52 PM
Cult Master
Cult Labs Radio Contributor

220px-Knock_Knock_poster.jpg

Two hot wet semi naked females show up at an ungodly hour to the house of a poor lonely and vulnerable happily married architect who just happened to be alone for the weekend while his wife and two kids head to the beach for a few day and its fathers day dun dun duuuuuunnnnnnnnnnn oh and did I mention that they were dripping wet oh wait I did didn't I oh well it was worth mentioning again Are they popping around for a cup of sugar or a drop of milk or maybe they have a nice fathers day present they want to drop off.

I was very disappoint with this I really like the idea of knock knock but the execution is less than convincing. These two girls seemed more annoying rather than threatening so I found it very hard to feel any concern for Evan I was hoping for some real torture weather it was physical or mental but it just felt like he was looking after someone's kids and they were just rebelling . I will hand it to Keanu Reeves he pulled off the while awkward dad at times but overall it was a pretty forgettable film. A home invasion type film is supposed to make the viewer feel uncomfortable because your house is your safe zone and you constantly are left asking what would I do if this happened to me. I got none of that here well apart from the shower scene

One line that made me laugh so much was when he said but if your 15 how can you both be air hostesses

5/10
Old 29th March 2018, 07:57 PM
Cultist on the Rampage

Currently watching Bloody Birthday (is that its original title?)
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Bloody Birthday.jpg (15.6 KB, 5 views)
Old 29th March 2018, 10:36 PM
Cult Veteran
Good Trader

Sam never seen any of the lone wolf films so started watching them tonight , she looking forward to the 2nd one, we was on about films shows similar to this , just bought kung fu series 1 & 2 of music !magpie £3 each
She also mentioned the water margin which personally I've never heard of,
But I come across this TV series the flashing blade has anyone seen it ? I took a punt at less than £2 from amazon
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 214345.jpg (20.4 KB, 7 views)

Like this? Share it using the links below!