Old 4th May 2018, 10:30 PM
Cult Veteran
Good Trader

Quote:
Originally Posted by Demoncrat View Post
Away to stick The Thing in .... er ....
Back in a while !!
Ahem. Apparently I needs another upgrade

The Leopard Fist Ninja (1982, Godfrey Ho)
A trio fight for their country. And pottery . A must. Badly framed Hollywood dvds are 10 a penny in this house ... but this takes the whole packet of buscuits .... recommended.

[B]
"... the days ahead will be filled with struggle ... and coated in marzipan ... "[/B]
Old 5th May 2018, 12:10 AM
Cult Veteran
Good Trader

Atlantis interceptors as the title I remember it as aka raiders of Atlantis the title it has now .

Was browsing through my firestick for a change and I just happen to stumble across this,
My face lit up with a Huge smile It brought back memories i haven't seen this for years
1984 to be exact when me and my friend rented this just after we left school for good, we enjoyed it so much we watched it 4 maybe 5 times in two days before taking it back.
I watched it tonight and it didn't dissapoint it was equally as good from what I remembered then, the plot is about two blokes going into hiding after kidnapping a body travelling the sea when suddenly a dome arises from the sea, a lost city of some sort the films plays out along lines of Bronx warriors style, I like the soundtrack as well plays out really well and fitting for the film, a must watch for any fan of this type of thing or if you like youre films 80s action style, it won't disappoint and even after all these years it certainly didn't .
Shame it rare to get hold of and from what I gather ( might be wrong) its not available in English or subtitled form on DVD (maybe someone might correct me ) either way its rare to find and a under rated gem of a film.
If i owned a DVD company I be releasing stuff like this, films that need transfered from vhs to DVD or hard to get hold of stuff instead of releasing the same old same old most companies seem to do these days
Old 5th May 2018, 07:15 AM
Cultist on the Rampage

Exorcist III: Cries and Shadows, 1975 (A.K.A. Return of the Exorcist and Naked Exorcism

This is not the George C. Scott film from the 90's, but an Italian rip-off. A boy finds a talisman, which ends of possessing him. That's pretty much the plot. Oh, and he changes into a woman periodically.

I have a feeling that the writers of this film saw The Exorcist and said to themselves "Do you know what The Exorcist was missing? Tits!!! and lesbian orgies!!"

It's a fun, batshit insane film. It's never boring and unintentionally funny, as these kinds of films usually are. 7.5/10, just for its entertainment value.

I also watched Ghoulies, 1984

A young boy inherits his dead father's house, years after being saved from being sacrificed by said father as a baby. He finds his dads old black magic books, invites some friends over and performs a ritual, which summons little demons.

Although it seems to be marketed as a Gremlins kind of movie, the focus is actually on the young man and his black magic and how it affects his relationship with his girlfriend, who I think tolerated quite a lot from him.

I'm not sure if it's trying to be a comedy or not, but I didn't laugh much apart from one or two small chuckles. It wasn't as good as I wanted it to be, but it wasn't bad. It may be far too slow for some people though. 5/10
Old 5th May 2018, 08:20 AM
Cult Addict

Dangerous men.

Picked up the Alamo Drafthouse blu-ray of this out of pure curiosity. Sort of glad I did.
The film is something of a mess. It's plot structure is non existent and it meanders through scenes in a way that makes it easy to get lost. It begins with a woman whose Lover is stabbed to death after strangling a biker to death on the beach. She hooks up with the killer and dispatches him brutally in a motel room. After that various guys try to rape her and she ends up becoming a female serial killer. Just when you think you have a handle on things it all takes a left turn and becomes a cop thriller where a tough guy cop aims to take down the biker gang.
At least I think that's what happens. It's a film that made me feel like I'd been watching it in a marijuana haze. It's badly edited,Acted tten and shot at a level where it became hypnotic. So bad it's good is probably the cliche I'd use. The whole film is a glorious mess at a shark exorcist level where I couldn't turn it off, even when I felt I should.
If you enjoy awful movies this ones a blast.
Old 5th May 2018, 08:23 AM
Cult Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by keirarts View Post
Dangerous men.

Picked up the Alamo Drafthouse blu-ray of this out of pure curiosity. Sort of glad I did.
The film is something of a mess. It's plot structure is non existent and it meanders through scenes in a way that makes it easy to get lost. It begins with a woman whose Lover is stabbed to death after strangling a biker to death on the beach. She hooks up with the killer and dispatches him brutally in a motel room. After that various guys try to rape her and she ends up becoming a female serial killer. Just when you think you have a handle on things it all takes a left turn and becomes a cop thriller where a tough guy cop aims to take down the biker gang.
At least I think that's what happens. It's a film that made me feel like I'd been watching it in a marijuana haze. It's badly edited,Acted tten and shot at a level where it became hypnotic. So bad it's good is probably the cliche I'd use. The whole film is a glorious mess at a shark exorcist level where I couldn't turn it off, even when I felt I should.
If you enjoy awful movies this ones a blast.
Is the blu region free or locked. It's one I've been meaning to check out.

Sent from my PRA-LX1 using Tapatalk
Old 5th May 2018, 08:26 AM
Cult Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by bleakshaun View Post
Is the blu region free or locked. It's one I've been meaning to check out.

It says region zero on the back but I didn't check it in my player.
bleakshaun likes this.
Old 5th May 2018, 08:27 AM
Cult Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by keirarts View Post
It says region zero on the back but I didn't check it in my player.
Thanks

Old 5th May 2018, 10:11 AM
Cultist on the Rampage

Mr Majestyk (1974).

Charles Bronson classic, where he plays the hard ass melon farmer who incurs the wrath of the local mafia when they try to force him to use a crew of melon pickers.
Bronson is superb as usual. With good old school action, and none of the fast cut and CGI crap that plagues modern films of the genre.

Well recommended. 9/10.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 51X0bt0WaGL._AC_US327_QL65_.jpg (22.3 KB, 4 views)
Old 5th May 2018, 11:10 AM
Cultist on the Rampage

THE SOULTANGLER – From the heyday of 8mm indies and early shot-on-video, ‘The Soultangler’ plays a bit like a slightly more upmarket Nathan Schiff film, meaning that it fails abysmally to resemble a ‘proper’ movie (in this case, a simulation of ‘Reanimator’) but instead offers us a cheap eighty minutes of weirdo non-sequiturs, random shots of desolate-looking buildings and unpredictable outbursts of gore, all served up on film stock that looks like it’s being projected from someone’s arse. There’s also a lot of padding involving people being rather wooden. A mixed delight, but don’t watch it if you like your movies on the ‘pretty good’ side.

BASKIN – Mmm, I went into this expecting more than I got. It’s good, but not as earth shattering as some critical ravings had me believing. It’s about a bunch of unlikeable coppers who get supernatural comeuppance at the hands of some demonic S&M weirdoes. A dude crawls around wearing an animal mask and appears to give birth to a lump of meat whilst a shrivelled baby-looking guy waxes lyrical about big mystical stuff before ripping someone’s intestines out… et cetera. Maybe I’m being churlish, but after too long a build-up I just didn’t warm to it. Which is a shame, because the film’s visual style is excellent and brings on some good atmosphere in places. Check it out though, lots of people think it’s amazing.

TERRIFIER – A clown – wait, a serial killing clown – is terrorising, or maybe Terrifying, some people after dark in a run-down bit of NYC. If the premise sounds a bit lame, then ‘Terrifier’ grabs it by the throat and doesn’t let go, at least not until something unpleasant and pretty entertaining has been squeezed through the movie-hole. ‘Terrifier’ is a well-oiled machine that runs through its slasher-by-numbers itinerary with ruthless efficiency whilst ladling on fairly frequent gore in a way that even seems a bit surprising in places (one scene had me thinking “Wow, the BBFC just don’t give a shit these days”). It’s steeped in a grimy, neon-lit ambience that is a little undermined by moments of humour, but it’s nice to see Damien Leone making good.

A QUIET PLACE – Went to the cinema to see this one. Got drunk with buddy, then had a weird experience that culminated in my bag being covered in shit. But what about the film? Again, I thought it was pretty good, but not amazing. The first thirty or forty minutes were excellent, a real slow burn of simmering tension with wonderful, atmospheric cinematography conjuring a silent world bordered by ever-present threat. Then, midway through, something happened and it became just another monster movie with people running around and shouting and dealing with things by way of cheesy contrivance. Nothing really wrong with that, but ‘A Quiet Place’ did set its stall out in a manner that suggested something other than the meat and potatoes it eventually served up.

DOWNRANGE – A mysterious sniper is making life rubbish for a carload of young Americans in this newish number from the director of ‘No-one Lives’. Like that film, it’s slick, well put together and has a nice line in harsh violence. It’s also an exercise in economy, having one location, a very limited scenario and a handful of characters. I was thinking, “can they really spin this one out – three or four people hiding behind a car for an hour”? An exaggeration, but only just. By and large, Kitamura does manage to keep things tense and absorbing beyond a few instances of clunk and drift, although it doesn’t quite manage to sustain or deliver on the first twenty minutes, which are full of an eerie sense of foreboding. Good though, worth watching.
Old 5th May 2018, 12:24 PM
Cult King
Cult Labs Radio Contributor
Senior Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Frankie Teardrop View Post

BASKIN – Mmm, I went into this expecting more than I got. It’s good, but not as earth shattering as some critical ravings had me believing. It’s about a bunch of unlikeable coppers who get supernatural comeuppance at the hands of some demonic S&M weirdoes. A dude crawls around wearing an animal mask and appears to give birth to a lump of meat whilst a shrivelled baby-looking guy waxes lyrical about big mystical stuff before ripping someone’s intestines out… et cetera. Maybe I’m being churlish, but after too long a build-up I just didn’t warm to it. Which is a shame, because the film’s visual style is excellent and brings on some good atmosphere in places. Check it out though, lots of people think it’s amazing.

TERRIFIER – A clown – wait, a serial killing clown – is terrorising, or maybe Terrifying, some people after dark in a run-down bit of NYC. If the premise sounds a bit lame, then ‘Terrifier’ grabs it by the throat and doesn’t let go, at least not until something unpleasant and pretty entertaining has been squeezed through the movie-hole. ‘Terrifier’ is a well-oiled machine that runs through its slasher-by-numbers itinerary with ruthless efficiency whilst ladling on fairly frequent gore in a way that even seems a bit surprising in places (one scene had me thinking “Wow, the BBFC just don’t give a shit these days”). It’s steeped in a grimy, neon-lit ambience that is a little undermined by moments of humour, but it’s nice to see Damien Leone making good.
I said in my review something similar regarding Baskin. I enjoyed it but it's certainly flawed and far too much talk but has a nicely grim atmosphere.

Is Terrifier worth shelling out £7 for?
keirarts and Frankie Teardrop like this.

Like this? Share it using the links below!