Cult Labs

Go Back   Cult Labs > Film Discussions > General Film Discussions

Like Tree179038Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 9th May 2018, 08:34 AM
Cultist on the Rampage

I thought Lake Mungo was so pants, i gave the dvd away. I literally forgot everything about it 5 minutes after watching it. Different strokes and all that.
Old 9th May 2018, 09:39 AM
Cult King
Cult Labs Radio Contributor
Senior Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by bizarre_eye@Cult Labs View Post
Really enjoyed this one when I saw it a few years ago.
I got the French dvd sometime last year and have only got round to watching it.

It's the same Turner Classic Movies version as the US one and looks lovely.
Old 9th May 2018, 10:16 AM
Cult King
Cult Labs Radio Contributor
Senior Moderator

The Phantom from 10,000 Leagues (1955)

Some nonsense about an undersea man size monster, radioactive experiments, detectives, foreign agents... you know the drill. Far more ideas than the budget can stretch to.

In truth The Phantom from 10,000 Leagues is very poor. The Californian shoreline locations deceive into thinking the film is better than it is as does B-movie star Kent Taylor but the plot is all over the place and doesn't hold the attention and the monster attacks aren't frequent enough to put this in the so bad it's good bracket of entertainment.

The creature itself looks okay, but it's soon apparent it's not the sea monster the poster artwork predicts but a Creature from the Black Lagoon man in a suit.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg phantom_from_10000_leagues_poster_02.jpg (96.1 KB, 6 views)
Old 9th May 2018, 10:49 AM
Cultist on the Rampage

Quote:
Originally Posted by Demdike@Cult Labs View Post
Eye of the Devil (1966)

That stalwart of horror, David Niven, plays the wealthy owner of a vineyard who is called back to the wine growing region from his palatial Paris apartment when the crop fails again. Deborah Kerr plays his wife who Niven tells to keep away from the vineyard along with their children. However due to Niven's erratic behaviour she naturally joins him there and falls head first into a nightmarish world of pagan ritual and human sacrifice.

J. Lee Thompson's film is a star studded affair. As well as the already mentioned Niven and Kerr, we are treated to Donald Pleasence, Flora Robson, Sharon Tate and an especially sinister David Hemmings. Playing out in an almost dreamlike world of creepy castles, dead doves, satanic rituals and one especially eerie sequence of Kerr alone in the woods haunted by hooded figures which grasp at her at every turn, the film is actually a bit of a treat.

Whilst in 2018 Eye of the Devil may give off Wicker Man type vibes it came a good seven years prior, so on release must have felt a wholly fresh, utterly downbeat, viewing experience which it still exudes today, especially with the black and white photography which adds to the foreboding and sinister nature of the film.

Recommended.
That looks right up my street, Dem. I'm amazed i haven't heard of that one before.

And as the dvd is available on Amazon, i think i'll be adding it to my collection.
Old 9th May 2018, 12:55 PM
Cult Addict

Blood on Satan's Claw
A farmer discovers strange remains, he notifies a judge. They both go to see it but it disappears. Then the children act strange.
Haven't seen this for years, and it's still an enjoyable film. Some genuinely tense and creepy moments. Now I wish I never watched witchfinder General a couple of months ago.

Sent from my PRA-LX1 using Tapatalk
Old 9th May 2018, 06:39 PM
Cultist on the Rampage

Atlantis Interceptors. DVD Grindhouse Collection Vol 2.

Never seen this before, Atlantis rises from the waters and opens it's biodome as the hero's fly in. Who knew Atlantis had motorcycle gangs? go figure. Lots of shooting and evasion mostly in the dark. This VHS rip is not as bad as some on the disc and is pure trash. Loved it, my kinda film. No DVD release anywhere except for a German DVD with no English options. Ripe to be picked up by 88 Films in their Italian Collection.

Brawl in Cell Block 99. Sky Movies.

Slow start as a frustrated guy turns to drug running to give him and his wife the life they dream of. It all goes well and his wife falls preggers before a pick-up goes wrong with our guy shooting two of his accomplices and then being arrested and sent down for 7 years.
The drug runners are not happy about this at all, kidnap his wife and threaten him with cutting up the unborn foetus in his wifes womb unless he takes out one of the guys involved, who is now in maximum security.
The violence, which has been perfunctionary till now, kicks into overdrive. If you don't squeal at the first arm break then you will later. Bones are broken, faces rubbed off on concrete and even a head kicked off down the toilet. My missus was squirming like a virgin at a gang bang, frequently hiding her face. I loved it.

Drive-in Delirium; The New Batch.

Another 175 trailers that takes about 6 hours to trawl through. Plus another 70 odd VHS trailers. I love trailer compilations and the three from Umbrella in Aussie land are my faves. With all 3 you have about 24 hours of madness. Pure bliss.
Old 9th May 2018, 06:40 PM
Cult Addict

Ringu
A woman investigating the mysterious deaths of 4 people unwittingly watches the same tape they do, she receives a call and is told 2 words 7 days. She then with the help of her ex husband has to stop it.
It still stands as a great horror film and still has one of the most haunting climaxes I've ever seen.
I would be surprised if no one here has watched it but if there is anybody who hasn't seen it before then I would strongly recommend checking it out.

Old 9th May 2018, 06:45 PM
Cult Veteran
Good Trader

Quote:
Originally Posted by Boo Radley View Post
Atlantis Interceptors. DVD Grindhouse Collection Vol 2.

Never seen this before, Atlantis rises from the waters and opens it's biodome as the hero's fly in. Who knew Atlantis had motorcycle gangs? go figure. Lots of shooting and evasion mostly in the dark. This VHS rip is not as bad as some on the disc and is pure trash. Loved it, my kinda film. No DVD release anywhere except for a German DVD with no English options. Ripe to be picked up by 88 Films in their Italian Collection.

Brawl in Cell Block 99. Sky Movies.

Slow start as a frustrated guy turns to drug running to give him and his wife the life they dream of. It all goes well and his wife falls preggers before a pick-up goes wrong with our guy shooting two of his accomplices and then being arrested and sent down for 7 years.
The drug runners are not happy about this at all, kidnap his wife and threaten him with cutting up the unborn foetus in his wifes womb unless he takes out one of the guys involved, who is now in maximum security.
The violence, which has been perfunctionary till now, kicks into overdrive. If you don't squeal at the first arm break then you will later. Bones are broken, faces rubbed off on concrete and even a head kicked off down the toilet. My missus was squirming like a virgin at a gang bang, frequently hiding her face. I loved it.

Drive-in Delirium; The New Batch.

Another 175 trailers that takes about 6 hours to trawl through. Plus another 70 odd VHS trailers. I love trailer compilations and the three from Umbrella in Aussie land are my faves. With all 3 you have about 24 hours of madness. Pure bliss.
Yes Atlantis interceptors is great I reviewed it recently , it does need a proper release
Old 9th May 2018, 06:55 PM
Cult Veteran
Good Trader

Quote:
Originally Posted by bleakshaun View Post
Ringu
A woman investigating the mysterious deaths of 4 people unwittingly watches the same tape they do, she receives a call and is told 2 words 7 days. She then with the help of her ex husband has to stop it.
It still stands as a great horror film and still has one of the most haunting climaxes I've ever seen.
I would be surprised if no one here has watched it but if there is anybody who hasn't seen it before then I would strongly recommend checking it out.

Seen ring but not ringu I have to check them out .
Old 9th May 2018, 06:57 PM
Cult Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by gag View Post
Seen ring but not ringu I have to check them out .
Definitely £2.99 on musicmagpie
https://store.musicmagpie.co.uk/prod...ctor-s-edition

keirarts likes this.

Like this? Share it using the links below!