Cult Labs

Go Back   Cult Labs > Film Discussions > General Film Discussions

Like Tree179038Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 20th June 2018, 09:04 AM
Cultist on the Rampage

Jurassic World: Fallen Kingdom (2018)
Before I start I just wanted to mention that Jurassic Park 3 was the last Jurassic park film I had seen before this and the first film is still incredible to this day.

After an incredible opening where a mercenary is chased through the park by a T. Rex while trying to be saved by his fellow mercenaries helicopter.

After that Jeff Goldblum cameos as his character from the first two movies arguing whether or not dinosaurs should be saved from a volcanic eruption happening at the park.

A woman is convinced to go and save them from the island and her ex boyfriend reluctantly tags along with her.

So the first half of the film is the woman and her rescue group trying to save the dinosaurs from the island... this is by far the best part of the film.

After they are rescued, they are brought to America and some escape from captivity and run amok.

I found this film very average and extremely forgettable, so forgive me for not going Into a lot of detail. The humour for the most part I found quite cringey, a few characters really annoying (some of which sadly didn't die) and although I am perfectly able to suspend disbelief that dinosaurs were cloned and now walk around Earth, some of the characters actions really made me say "Oh, come on!!!" Or "Oh, for ****'s sake!" out loud. Thankfully, the cinema was pretty much empty.

The always enjoyable Ted Levine was fun in it, as was the Donald Tump-esqe businessman character and there was a visual reference to one of my favourite films of all time, Nosferatu, that I enjoyed. All in all, this was a very disappointing film that started off well, but ended up getting really cartoon-y, with some dodgy effects whenever there was too much going on on-screen. Most importantly, the film isn't scary or fun. A film about dinosaurs has to be fun!

I cannot understand why it warranted a 12A rating, as I found this would have been perfectly acceptable of a PG, especially considering the first movies is a PG and a hell of a lot scarie. 5/10

Sent from my SM-A520F using Tapatalk
Old 20th June 2018, 12:28 PM
Cultist on the Rampage

The House of Mortal Sin (1976).

Pete Walker film, starring Anthony Sharp as a deranged and sexually repressed priest who tapes and blackmails his parishioners after hearing their confessions.

When Jenny, played by Susan Penhaligon, turns up at the church looking for help, she becomes his latest victim. Murder soon follows, as the priest becomes obsessed with every aspect of Jenny's life.

Top notch british thriller, in the traditional 70's style. Great cast, including Stephanie Beacham, as well.
Very highly recommended 8/10.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 51TcZuwl7VL._SY445_.jpg (40.1 KB, 7 views)
Old 20th June 2018, 12:34 PM
Seasoned Cultist

I've never seen this. Frightmare is one of my favourite British horror films, so I'll definitely be checking it out.

In-depth analysis on horror, exploitation, and other shocking cinema @ Cinematic Shocks
Old 20th June 2018, 01:11 PM
Cult Acolyte

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cinematic Shocks View Post
Frightmare is one of my favourite British horror films
And mine
Old 20th June 2018, 04:06 PM
Seasoned Cultist

Halloween II (1981)

The new 'alternative' sequel is ignoring this, and while I'm all for getting back to the roots of the original film's mythology, and the true concept of Michael Myers, I still really enjoy this one. It's the only Myers related Halloween worth bothering with after the first. I think 4 and H20 have some good moments, but they don't come together as good films overall, and the rest are just terrible. What II really gets wrong is the unnecessary and frankly stupid sister revelation. Other than that, this is a darkly atmospheric solid entry into the early '80s Golden Age of the slasher sub-genre, which this film's masterful predecessor influenced.

***1/2 out of *****

In-depth analysis on horror, exploitation, and other shocking cinema @ Cinematic Shocks
Old 20th June 2018, 09:07 PM
Cult Veteran
Good Trader

Rise of the footsoldier 3 2017.

Prequel to Rise of The footsoldier focuses on the life of criminal Pat Tate.

Craig Fairbrass returns to his role of Tate, which shows a bit more of his life from escaping custody to staying in Spain, returning to Britain, and trying to make a name for himself.

Unlike its predecessors this film is based on fiction not and not fact, but still worth a watch, it would be more interesting if there was a bit of a back story as to why he became a drug fuelled psychopath.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg oFOE23tEe1ypuPiGpkHLBuXxMIB.jpg (28.8 KB, 4 views)
Old 21st June 2018, 01:10 AM
Cult Veteran
Good Trader

Dead Man's Shoes 2004

A ex soldier returns home and vows revenge on the men who brutalised his mentally challenged brother years ago.

This was the first time i had seen this movie and got it on a blind buy, this is like a modern day british version of Death Wish 1974.

Paddy Consadine's performance as Richard was brilliant, seeing the hell of a war to coming home and raging a one man act of vengence without any fear. It can be shown as aggressive and maybe a little discomfort but as we dont know how or when he will pop up and suprise the gang is great. This is not a big budget movie, but does show that bullies do get their comupance in life.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 810NavkgeGL._SY445_.jpg (40.5 KB, 5 views)
Old 21st June 2018, 04:30 AM
Cultist on the Rampage

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrBarlow View Post
Dead Man's Shoes 2004

A ex soldier returns home and vows revenge on the men who brutalised his mentally challenged brother years ago.

This was the first time i had seen this movie and got it on a blind buy, this is like a modern day british version of Death Wish 1974.

Paddy Consadine's performance as Richard was brilliant, seeing the hell of a war to coming home and raging a one man act of vengence without any fear. It can be shown as aggressive and maybe a little discomfort but as we dont know how or when he will pop up and suprise the gang is great. This is not a big budget movie, but does show that bullies do get their comupance in life.
One of my favourites. I saw this a few years ago and loved it! I had no idea there were any sequels to Rise of the Footsoldier!
Old 21st June 2018, 04:43 AM
Cult Veteran
Good Trader

Quote:
Originally Posted by ArgentoFan1987 View Post
One of my favourites. I saw this a few years ago and loved it! I had no idea there were any sequels to Rise of the Footsoldier!
I got the footsoldiers trilogy from HMV on a blind buy saw clips of the first one and got hooked, next ones on the list is The Football Factory.
keirarts likes this.
Old 21st June 2018, 07:43 AM
Cult Veteran
Cult Labs Radio Contributor
Good Trader

Pool Party Massacre (2017)

A rich spoilt teenage brat decides to throw a pool party for her friends when her parents leave her alone for the weekend and are picked off one by one by a deranged killer that likes to use a variety of different weapons. The plot is as thin as the really bad looking fake blood, the dialogue is almost as bad as the acting, the fx are amateurish and the entire film is nothing we haven’t seen before. But, I absolutely loved it and at only 80 minutes long, it moves along really quickly and is well worth a watch for fans of trashy 80’s slasher films like Slumber Party Massacre etc.
If you’ve got Amazon Prime then I’d definitely recommend checking it out with a couple of beers and a take away, just don’t expect anything amazing because it really is one of those “so bad it’s good” type of films (Goatman Murders springs to mind) and I’d say it’s better than half of 88 Films Slasher Collection range, Mary Whitehouse would’ve loved it if it was released in 1984!

4/5
If I'm curt with you it's because time is a factor. I think fast, I talk fast and I need you guys to act fast if you wanna get out of this. So, pretty please... with sugar on top. Clean the ****ing car!

Like this? Share it using the links below!