Go Back   Cult Labs > Film Discussions > General Film Discussions
All AlbumsBlogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Like Tree179619Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 28th June 2018, 05:51 PM
Cult Veteran
Good Trader

Phantom menace

For me still the poorest of the main films, it has some good points Maul, Qui Gon and a great lightsaber battle and William's wonderful duel of the fates score. But this all brought down by a badly miscast Anakin an overly long pod race as well as a cringe inducing scenes with Anakin in a star fighter and let's not forget Jar Jar ****ING Binks, people can complain about last jedi etc but this is the greatest crime against star wars along with making the force a microbe infection instead of something mystical. 5/10

Probably better of saving two hours and watching this. 10/10

Last edited by trebor8273; 28th June 2018 at 08:18 PM.
Old 28th June 2018, 07:42 PM
Moderator Alumni
Cult Labs Radio Contributor
Good Trader

Quote:
Originally Posted by WowBobWow View Post
I watched Magnolia again last night, it’s just a phenomenal film. In my opinion it sits alongside Mulholland Drive and Zodiac as a modern masterpiece. Some have criticised it, calling it overly melodramatic, and I suppose It’s a valid criticism but the direction is so audacious I can forgive its perceived faults.

Has PT Anderson ever made a bad film ? It took me a while to warm to Inherent Vice but I love the film now.
I also have a lot of love for Magnolia. I didn't take to Inherent Vice much at all though. Ditto The Master.
keirarts likes this.
Old 28th June 2018, 10:02 PM
Cult Acolyte

Wolfen. Gruesome killings lead an NYPD detective to conclude that the perpetrators may actually have been wolves - but these are no ordinary animals. Albert Finney and Gregory Hines star in this spookily effective early 80s chiller that has a wonderfully creepy atmosphere and is very well directed throughout. The actual use of real wolves makes many scenes hella scary.
Old 28th June 2018, 10:04 PM
Cult Veteran
Good Trader

An improvement on phantom but not by much, still have some of the same problems , not hard to see why people say Anakin the mannequin but this i would say partial down too Lucas dialogue than the actors ability. Also like the phantom the effects have not age well and it's even more noticeable here, more so at the end battle. Give the new films there due at least they went on location and used models effects et c and it wasn't all green screen. 5.5/10

Black Magic Part 2.

Absolutely bonkers and fantastic , asian take on the zombie genre with black magic and a man keeping himself young by feeding on breast milk. Also some unintentional funny scene one near the beginning with a crocodile attack and the other with a possessed/ zombie being attack with a dead cat! 8/10

Now watching contamination.
Old 28th June 2018, 10:04 PM
Cult Veteran
Good Trader

The Omen 1976.

After the death of his newborn son, Ambassador Robert Thorn adopts a newborn baby after the mother dies in labour. Things take a mysterious turn when people start dying, Robert investigates his son's background with a help of a photographer.

Gregory Peck and Lee Remick play the lead roles of Robert and Kathy Thorn, Remick's performance is brilliant as the easy going game mother who slowly slips into a state of paranoia as she believes her son Damien isn't right. Peck's performance is superb as the father who tries to shrug things off but starts to believe.

David Warner plays the photographer Keith Jennings who is drawn into the search and his demise is totally a pain in the neck (pun intended). Dr Who actor Patrick Troughton gives us a bit of a chilling appearance as Father Brennan who wants to save souls and his from the Antichrist.

Along with every good movie comes a great score from Jerry Goldsmith's Ave Satani which blends in well as the movie goes on. Think this film gave a new meaning to the numbers 666, or new parents naming their son Damien and all we think about is this movie. 10+
Attached Images
File Type: jpg e1ac615b0de09f3669cb56284b3bab28a2d0666c.jpg (43.7 KB, 5 views)
Old 28th June 2018, 10:16 PM
Active Cultist

Burnt Offerings, 1976. 8/10

The Endless, 2018. 7,5/10

Excellent Sci~Fi film from Aaron Moorhead and Justin Benson who directed and wrote Spring {2014} and Resolution{2012}

Incident in a Ghostland, 2018. 9/10

Brutal as f uck!

The Honey's Devil, 1986. 5/10

Combat Shock, 1984. 8/10

Old 29th June 2018, 07:50 AM
Seasoned Cultist

Race with the devil. Roger, peter fonda and his wife, and Frank and his wife go on vacation in Franks motor home. one night they see a black mass going on across the river and a girl stabbed too death in the ritual. but the satanists see them and chase them, luckily they get away despite getting stuck in the river and the satanists attacking the motor home.
When they go to the police they dont them seriously and think it is just hippies getting stoned and sacrificing a dog.
after that they decide to report it instead to the police in the main town, but everywhere they go the satanists chase them and try to kill them, including putting rattlesnakes in the motor home.

very good film and exciting, i like it a lot 91.5 out of 100.
Old 29th June 2018, 06:24 PM
Cult Veteran
Good Trader

One of the many alien style rip offs that sprung up after its release . 7/10

Now watching the Spanish version of Dracula (1931)
Old 29th June 2018, 06:59 PM
Cultist on the Rampage

Cry of A Prostitute (1974).

Euro-crime drama starring Henry Silva as Tony Aniante, a hitman who is hired by the mafia to get rid of a rogue gangster who is using the dead bodies of children to smuggle goods.

One of the more violent entries in the genre, with Silva giving a ruthless performance in a role that seems to come naturally to him.

Also co-starring is Barbara Bouchet as a hooker with a penchant for rubbing cow's milk all over herself Who ends up getting brutally treated at the hands of Silva.

Interesting film, with nice locations and with elements of a spaghetti western in the way that Silva pits the rival mafia families against each other.

Recommended 7/10.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg CryProstituteEX.jpg (21.3 KB, 4 views)
Old 29th June 2018, 08:53 PM
Cult Veteran
Good Trader

Dracula (1931 Spanish version)

For me the superior too the American version in almost every way. The actor playing Renfield was excellent giving a very creepy performance. 8/10

Now watching crimes of passion which will be my first viewing.

Like this? Share it using the links below!