LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 21st July 2018, 12:19 PM
Cult Veteran
Good Trader

Now I'm treating myself to the Hollywood remake of Killers Moon

The Dream Team (1989, Howard Zieff).

Back at 5!!!

[B]
"... the days ahead will be filled with struggle ... and coated in marzipan ... "[/B]
Old 21st July 2018, 02:45 PM
Cult King
Cult Labs Radio Contributor
Senior Moderator

Brimstone (2016)

Unrelentingly grim western, harrowing and very brutal, in fact it's the most cheerless film i can recall and makes Combat Shock seem like a Monday afternoon Channel 5 film. The plot swirls around in perpetual motion as one sickening act follows another. For example Carla Juri's prostitute, a secondary character, has her tongue cut out, is stabbed in the chest and then has her head set on fire, and the camera never wavers. It's not just adults either that things like this happen to.

It's also a beautifully made film. Dakota Fanning is superb as the put upon young wife on the run from Guy Pearce's stomach turning preacher.

Brimstone is an extremely unpleasant, sadistic film, but damn, it's also a good film.

Highly recommended. Just don't expect to smile as you watch.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Brimstone_Quad_Art_FINAL_LO-600x450.jpg (70.6 KB, 2 views)
Old 21st July 2018, 05:26 PM
Cult Veteran
Good Trader

Noted D.

[B]
"... the days ahead will be filled with struggle ... and coated in marzipan ... "[/B]
Old 21st July 2018, 07:42 PM
Moderator Alumni
Good Trader

Quote:
Originally Posted by Demoncrat View Post
Noted D.
Ditto.

A Western I may actually rate.
Old 21st July 2018, 10:02 PM
Cult Veteran
Good Trader

Quote:
Originally Posted by Demoncrat View Post
Now I'm treating myself to the Hollywood remake of Killers Moon

The Dream Team (1989, Howard Zieff).

Back at 5!!!
Ahem.

The Dream Team (1989, Howard Zieff)
Hollywood. Laugh at the disturbed. See Dexter's dad before he landed that role. Lorraine Bracco does not suit short hair. Still it was quite amusing in parts for all that. Not quite the carcrash that my memory of the trailer predicted ...

[B]
Old 21st July 2018, 10:11 PM
Cult Veteran
Good Trader

It's Alive III: Island Of The Alive (1985, Larry Cohen)

I loved it. From Moriarty's method in hyperdrive to half eaten moguls to epilepsy inducing FX to the unique ending. See this film. Fiick the haterz.

[B]
Old 21st July 2018, 11:32 PM
Cultist on the Rampage

Walk a Tightrope (1963).

Interesting black and white crime thriller about a downtrodden hitman who guns down a woman's husband.

Despite claiming that she hired him to do the murder, she totally denies knowing anything about it and says she loved her husband dearly.

Excellent B movie release from Network and well worth a watch. And with good performances from the cast

A film that keeps you guessing up until the twist ending. 7/10.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 51ouiqdCkEL._SY445_.jpg (40.6 KB, 3 views)
Old 22nd July 2018, 11:27 AM
Seasoned Cultist

Case of the scorpions tail.

Giallo about a woman called Lisa who inherits a million in insurance when the chap who plays her husband gets blown up in a plane.
then a maniac stabs her to death and pinches it. after that the chap who starred in Strange vice of mrs Wardh turns up as an insurance agent and teams up with a female reporter
played by Anita stringberg.

this is very good, although is quite funny when the plane blows up because it looks like a toy plane.
and quite a complicted film as well but still entertaining. also has some good murders to, including a eye gouging. 91.2 out of 100.
Old 22nd July 2018, 12:40 PM
Cultist on the Rampage

Watched Fulci's Four of The Apocalypse (1975) yesterday.

Westerns are not really my thing but came across this when reading the superb Beyond Terror book on Fulci by Thrower, I recently acquired and thought I would give it a go.

Really liked it, Fulci certainly makes it a bit different to other westerns, has a really cool vibe and atmosphere to it despite the obvious dubbing and thought the performances were good with interesting character beats. Even though I was watching a less than stellar video presentation from an online stream, you could tell it has some really nice cinematography too.

Would make an awesome Arrow release. I see there is a German blu though but not sure if I should grab it, as it is quite expensive at 30 quid.

With this film and a recent rewatch of The Beyond my respect for Fulci only grows. Forget Argento, Fulci is a master.

8/10.

Anyone else seen this?

Last edited by Buboven; 22nd July 2018 at 12:59 PM.
Old 22nd July 2018, 12:53 PM
Cult Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by Buboven View Post
Watched Fulci's Four of The Apocalypse (1975) yesterday.

Westerns are not really my thing but came across this when reading the superb Beyond Terror book on Fulci by Thrower, I recently acquired and thought I would give it a go.

Really liked it, Fulci certainly makes it a bit different to other westerns, has a really cool vibe and atmosphere to it despite the obvious dubbing and thought the performances were good too.

Would make an awesome Arrow release. I see there is a German blu though but not sure if I should grab it, as it is quite expensive at 30 quid.

8/10.

Anyone else seen this?
I really like it. When we did Fulci films on the top ten tuesdays thread it was on my list. I remember Dem hating it though!
I like how Thomas Milians character is almost a force of nature and how the film becomes almost an origin story for Fabio Testi's character who gradually becomes the brutal gunfighter seen in most spaghetti westerns. There's a lot going on with it.

Like this? Share it using the links below!