Cult Labs

Go Back   Cult Labs > Film Discussions > General Film Discussions
All AlbumsBlogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Like Tree179475Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 11th August 2018, 08:30 PM
Cult Veteran
Good Trader

Mrs Voorhees good little boy is awakened by a jolt of electricity and makes his way on a boat and starts killing those he comes across, the boat comes adrift in new York and Jason continues his hunt there. Watch this just shows how stupid the victims are with always separating. Could see the two survivors being arrested for murder of at least sent to the loony bin, we have all these dead bodies and there going to turn around and say it was a huge zombie with a hockey mask, but sadly there is no body as it melted. 6/10

Up next more Hodder with hatchet, after i finish the pilot episode for poltergeist the legacy.
Old 11th August 2018, 09:18 PM
Cult Master
Cult Labs Radio Contributor
Good Trader
Senior Moderator

The Meg.....

Exactly what you’d expect, The Stath all moody and a 75ft prehistoric shark. Not the greatest shark movie ever made, biy definitely not the worst. Don’t think I would’ve missed much if I had seen it in 2D, plus it gets points for the lovely Li Bingbing.

IMG_4644.jpg
Old 12th August 2018, 12:38 AM
Cultist on the Rampage
Cult Labs Radio Contributor

Watched Arrow's new Blu-Ray release of Detective Bureau 2-3: Go to Hell, Bastards! and really enjoyed it.

Seems people don't really like the supporting characters in the detective agency but I didn't mind them, in fact, I quite enjoyed the female character. I can get why some people say the humour doesn't work though.

Loved the jazzy score and some striking visuals too. While not on the same level as Branded To Kill, I am glad to have this in my collection.

After passing on the two Suzuki boxsets, thinking of asking to get one of them now for my Birthday.

Which volume is better or are they both worth getting? Leaning towards Volume 2 as I think I might enjoy his crime films more than the youth centred collection in Vol 1.
Old 12th August 2018, 08:13 AM
Cult Veteran
Good Trader

Quote:
Originally Posted by Frankie Teardrop View Post
THE ENDLESS – ‘Resolution’ follow-up in which two brothers reconnect with the isolated cult they left years before – something weird simmers in the background, and, as with ‘Resolution’ (if I remember correctly), time-loops play a role. ‘The Endless’ does well with atmospherics, and most of the film is a slow-burn that charts steadily building paranoia as the brothers try to navigate the cloistered community they find themselves in… the sense of layers of reality shifting and peeling back is evoked really well, and has as much to do with the performances as anything else (the directors play the leads). There are hints of cosmic Lovecraftiana that never quite crystallise out before an ending that seems a bit rushed, but ‘The Endless’ is definitely a recommend.

THE LOST – Adaption of a Jack Ketchum novel, which follows a small-town psychopath as he boils up to a murder spree. Said murderer, Ray Pye, looks like a slightly gothy Ray Liotta and is a consummate slimeball – the film opens with him killing a couple of campers for the laugh. He gets away with that one, and the focus becomes the constant manipulation, exploitation and treachery that characterises his day-to-day life years after. He dips into a bit of vulnerability when he strikes up a relationship with a would-be femme-fatale, but a series of set-backs and humiliations puts him back on the track to violence in the hard-to-watch conclusion. Pretty excellent flick, and underexposed – I hadn’t heard of it till recently. A hazy, slightly dream-like vision of an anachronistic suburban hell, and worth tracking down for certain.

ISOLATION – I’ve seen ‘Isolation’ a couple of times over the years and have come to really like it. It’s a bit slight in a sense (ie plot, story, ideas are nothing new), but heavy on atmosphere and vibes. A lot of reviews pretty much sum it up as ‘Alien on an Irish farm’ – that’s accurate in more ways than one. An experiment in genetically enhanced livestock has gone wrong and the resulting mutant is on the loose, leaving down-on-his-luck farmer John Lynch and a couple of travellers to face the strange. Pretty basic as far as happenings go, but director Billy O’Brien conjures a really downbeat, bleak environment full of rusty dilapidation and incessant rain, one that’s as stygian as The Nostromo at the same time as it’s mundane. The film plays out in the same way – it has its share of action and monstrous bits, but these are secondary to the dour (in a good way) performances and the power of the setting. Excellent stuff and highly recommended.

DER POEL – One that I picked up after reading Dem’s recent review – hadn’t heard of it before, and quite liked the sound of it. It’s about two Dutch families and their slightly off-grid camping trip. The dominant dad of the group seems to want them all to pitch next to a pool in a forest that has a shadowy reputation. Small wonder when weird stuff starts going down – food rotting, fingers going septic – all connected with the mysterious pool and its increasingly supernatural-seeming properties. Eventually, we end up in a kind of cabin-fever type scenario with people going homicidal and attempts to escape leading back to their points of departure. ‘Der Poel’ is another slow-burn, and is great at building downbeat storm-clouds of menace. Although it indulges in some obvious genre tropes (misty ‘hallucination’ sequences, soundtrack manoeuvres such as ‘creepy’ whispering, sudden jolts) it actually manages to generate an atmosphere of unease, which is no easy thing. The horror pay-off is pretty nasty too in some ways. I’m never one for big explanations as to why things happen in movies like this, and ‘Der Poel’ wisely avoids making anything clear, although it might be a kind of playing out of a Kelpie / Dutch folkloric equivalent type scenario. I thought it was really good – another one to check out if you haven’t seen it.
All duly noted F!!

[B]
"... the days ahead will be filled with struggle ... and coated in marzipan ... "[/B]
Old 12th August 2018, 08:18 AM
Cult Veteran
Good Trader

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stephen@Cult Labs View Post
The Meg.....

Exactly what you’d expect, The Stath all moody and a 75ft prehistoric shark. Not the greatest shark movie ever made, biy definitely not the worst. Don’t think I would’ve missed much if I had seen it in 2D, plus it gets points for the lovely Li Bingbing.

Attachment 207748
Noted. Am determined to see this at the pictures

[B]
"... the days ahead will be filled with struggle ... and coated in marzipan ... "[/B]
Old 12th August 2018, 09:25 AM
Seasoned Cultist

Massacre in dinosaur valley.

Michael sopkiw is a archeoligist who is hunting for dinosaur bones and manages to hitch a plane ride to dinosaur Valley.
But the plane ends up crash landing. and then Sopkiw along with the survivors, including two fashion models,
a Vietnam vet and the daughter of a professor who dies from the crash, try to get back to civilisation despite being hunted by a cannibal tribe.

This is definately one of those so bad it's good movies that i love. The acting is atrocious with hilarious dubbing.
but it is so entertaining, with cannibals, slave traders, piranas, crocodiles, and sexy models who are very beautiful and constantly lose there clothes.
Nowere near as nasty as films like Cannibal holocaust and with very little flesh eating from the natives, this is more like a Indiana jones adventure films with added sex and nudity.

Love the music as well even if it's been ripped off from Blastfighter. and will award 76.5 out of 100.

Old 12th August 2018, 06:30 PM
Cultist on the Rampage

Quote:
Originally Posted by Demoncrat View Post
Noted. Am determined to see this at the pictures
Saw this today, very good, bits of Jaws bits of Deep Blue Sea, lots of fun!
Recommended at the cinema!

Watched Lenzi's Seven Bloodstained Orchids, great giallo & a fascinating Troy Howarth commentary! Want to make a list of all this guy's commentary tracks they are great!
Old 12th August 2018, 06:52 PM
Cult Veteran
Good Trader

This time ant man teams up with Hope and Hank Pym to bring Hanks wife (Michelle Pfeiffer) back from the quantum realm , while trying to keep one step ahead of Walton Googins and his goons as well as a phase shifting assassin and the FBI. Not as good as the first but still enjoyable . 7/10

Now watching a quiet place.

Last edited by trebor8273; 12th August 2018 at 08:01 PM.
Old 12th August 2018, 08:26 PM
Cult Veteran
Good Trader

Well that was excellent by far one of the best new horrors i have seen in some time. The story evolves around a family who are trying too survive after a most of the population have been wiped out by creatures attracted by sound. So a lot of the movie there is no dialogue etc. Fantastically acted by all the cast but especially the young actress playing the deaf daughter, (who's deaf in real life) a great use ( lack of) sound and expertly directed. The picture quality is nice on the 4K version. Also really liked the look of the creatures. One too be watched a night when it's quiet. 9.7/10

Now watching Hatchet.

Last edited by trebor8273; 12th August 2018 at 08:36 PM.
Old 12th August 2018, 09:37 PM
Cult Acolyte

Maverick. Mel Gibson is a fast talking card-sharp trying to get enough cash together to enter a high stakes poker game, but someone seems determined to keep him out. Jodie Foster and James Garner co-star in this entertaining mid 90s tongue in cheek Western that doesn't reinvent the wheel, but is amusing and likeable throughout. There's a great cameo from Danny Glover as a bank robber who seems to - almost - recognise Gibson, to the strains of the Lethal Weapon music. "I'm getting too old for this s**t!"

Like this? Share it using the links below!