LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 17th August 2018, 04:37 PM
Cult King
Cult Labs Radio Contributor
Senior Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Susan Foreman View Post
I've mentioned before, my Auntie Dawnie [RIP] appeared in this as an extra

When I was talking to her about films, she once told me: "For the 'Flesh and Blood Show' we went to Brighton. I was a chain mailed spear carrier in Hamlet in, I think, the pier theatre....The lead was the guy who did the voice over for Mr Benn [Ray Brooks]"
I hope it was a fun experience for her. The play she was actually in was Othello but that's neither here nor there really.
Susan Foreman likes this.
Old 17th August 2018, 06:05 PM
Cult Veteran
Good Trader

Force Four (1975)

Lawdy Thomas!! High kicking folks who are darker than blue team up and batter the shit out of each other. Up there with The Black Gestapo for sheer spectacle . For once William Smith isn't in it .

Nightmare Beach (Umberto Lenzi)

Nasty tone to this evil biker flick. A human beige fights an ruthless killer on wheels. The kills make up for the sheer tedium of the leads performance . NEXT

Emperor Of The Bronx (1990)
See the dying 42nd St scene! Wallow in Noo Yoik crapulence. Feast on dialogue than features the phrase fagedabowdit (say it quickly ). Action ahoy as two feisty bruddas square up to the local hoods. Supremely second tier film and all the better for it

[B]
"... the days ahead will be filled with struggle ... and coated in marzipan ... "[/B]

Last edited by Demoncrat; 17th August 2018 at 06:30 PM.
Old 17th August 2018, 10:21 PM
Cultist on the Rampage

The Bourne Identity

Doug Linman's amnesiac assassin opus is still amazing, saw it at the cinema when first released & the pace, mystery, action and story all still hold up.

Going to watch the other 4 soon when I get some free nights, and see how they all play in a row.

Also watched The Parallax View, conspiracy thriller with more assassins & brainwashing, very good but wouldn't watch again.
Have Three Days of the Condor taped and All the President's Men on the "to watch" pile, plus the Denzel Washington update of the Manchurian Candidate is on sky now.
Conspiricies ahoy!
Old 18th August 2018, 04:35 AM
Cult Addict

Xtro

51CBmdK5dgL._SY445_ (1).jpg

Just watched the new Blu of Xtro,nice looking disc with booklet and soundtrack.

Watched the new Directors cut but wish i'd stuck on the Original version, all versions look nice but the directors edit adds effects over the alien abduction beginning scene and many other scenes.
Most noticeable are scenes which seem over saturated and others where flickering effects obscure action, especially when the Action man figure attacks the old lady neighbour.

I flicked through the other version and endings after watching and from what i see the Original version with Original ending works the best for me.
This Original ending omits an alien style death scene but replaces it with a scene of hope, albeit an eerie Cronenbergian one that i feel rounds the film off in a more satisfying manner.

I haven't seen this for years but enjoyed it thoroughly, the mental storyline and bizarre elements, alien bloodletting and a sexy Maryam D'abo all add up to a creepy, strange and stylish treat.

Recommended 8/10

MIKE: I've got it! Peter Cushing! We've got to drive a stake through his heart!
VYVYAN: Great! I'll get the car!
NEIL: I'll get a cushion.

Last edited by nosferatu42; 18th August 2018 at 04:47 AM.
Old 18th August 2018, 09:24 AM
Seasoned Cultist

Puppet Master: The Littlest Reich (2018)

I’ve only seen the first three films in the original Puppet Master series, and I liked all, especially 2 and 3. I’ve heard 4 and 5 are decent, but not quite on par with those earlier entries, and that the rest of the original continuity is a waste of time due to Full Moon’s lack of finances to produce more quality additions.

However, the new franchise reboot from Cinestate, Puppet Master: The Littlest Reich, is a crazy blast of gonzo fun, and is easily the best one I’ve seen. It’s politically incorrect, mean spirited, and immensely gory. It has its tongue firmly in its cheek, and it doesn’t give a **** if it offends you. All the characters are so likable and memorable, the humour works very well, the puppets are great - the classic ones with new spins, and the completely new, and the brutal set-pieces need to be seen to be believed. One really shocked me, but I’m not spoiling it for any of you. It features a wonderfully atmospheric score by Fabio Frizzi, which plays out over the sequences of prolonged gruesomeness, which often feature plenty of close ups, as if Lucio Fulci was directing himself.

This is such a good time, and I'm looking forward to this new version of the Puppet Master series continuing.

***1/2 out of *****

In-depth analysis on horror, exploitation, and other shocking cinema @ Cinematic Shocks
Old 18th August 2018, 12:12 PM
Seasoned Cultist

Blood for dracula.

Count dracula(udo kier) is dying because he can't get the blood of a virgin to survive. so he trots off to Italy with his creepy man servant, Anton to find one because he thinks theres more chance there with them being supposedly religious. when he gets there he finds out about the Fiore family and there four daughters and plans to drink their blood with the premise of finding a wife. but he won't find many virgins here as he soon finds out. as theyre too busy getting it on with the gardener.

once again udo kier is great in this as sickly Count and gives another OTT performance. The film is nowhere near as gory as the companion film Flesh for Frankenstein but does get quite grusome towards the end. but what it lacks in gore it makes up for with sex and sleaze with the daughters constantly losing there clothes with the gardener and even a bit of incestuos lesbianism too.

it was interesting to see Stefania casini in this as well from Suspiria, although we certainly get to see a lot more of her in his one.

and yes, i like this a lot and is so funny with witty dialogue like when the Count gets more impure blood and he goes, The blood of these whores is killing me.

and i award this classic, with great sets and soundtrack, 90.2 out of 100.

Old 18th August 2018, 04:09 PM
Cult King
Senior Moderator

The Other (1972)

Tedious in the extreme portrayal of child psychology on a Connecticut farm in the mid thirties.

Despite a sort of shock ending, what came prior was just too dull, even with some fine performances, for it to have any impact.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg the_other_poster.jpg (65.2 KB, 5 views)
Old 18th August 2018, 04:51 PM
Cult Don
Good Trader
Senior Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Demdike@Cult Labs View Post
The Other (1972)

Tedious in the extreme portrayal of child psychology on a Connecticut farm in the mid thirties.

Despite a sort of shock ending, what came prior was just too dull, even with some fine performances, for it to have any impact.
I'm surprised you didn't like it because I find most of the film engrossing and very weird because of the ambiguity in a similar way to Hammer's The Nanny, where I'm not exactly sure who to believe and what's happening.
Demoncrat likes this.
Old 18th August 2018, 05:20 PM
Cult King
Senior Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nosferatu@Cult Labs View Post
I'm surprised you didn't like it because I find most of the film engrossing and very weird because of the ambiguity in a similar way to Hammer's The Nanny, where I'm not exactly sure who to believe and what's happening.
Just reminded me of a dull episode of The Waltons. I don't like that either.

Last edited by Demdike@Cult Labs; 18th August 2018 at 05:34 PM.
Old 18th August 2018, 06:00 PM
Cult Veteran
Good Trader

It's ok but most of the best scenes are showing in the trailer , it's not as good as either Paddington as it lacks the heart / charm and slapstick humour of them 7/10

Now watching justice league new frontier

Like this? Share it using the links below!