Cult Labs

Go Back   Cult Labs > Film Discussions > General Film Discussions
All AlbumsBlogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Like Tree179612Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 4th September 2018, 11:38 AM
Seasoned Cultist

The Nanny.

10 year old Joey gets sent to an institution after being blamed for the death of his little sister in the bath. when he gets released a couple of years later he's reluctent to go home because of the nanny(Bette Davis) who he has always hated.
And joey is still a disturbed young chap who enjoys playing cruel pranks, so when his mum later gets poisoned Joey gets the blame eventhough he denys it.

this is of those typical Hammer psycho style thrillers that they made apart from the gothic horrors. it is very well made and acted and suspenseful and keeps you guessing throughout. Bette Davis is very good indeed as the to good to be sweet old nanny. and actress Wendy Craig also gives a solid performance as Joey's neurotic mother.

Yes i liked this film a lot. and shot in black and white gives it a lot of atmosphere as well. so i award 85.7 out of 100.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg the nanny 1965 aaa.jpg (67.0 KB, 5 views)
Old 4th September 2018, 03:16 PM
Cult Don
Cult Labs Radio Contributor
Good Trader
Senior Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Paul Zombie View Post
Theres Something About Mary.
It has been years since I have seen this film, but I always think of it whenever I hear 'Build Me Up Buttercup' and find it hilarious that W. Earl Brown, who plays Warren, is probably better known for playing the astonishingly violent Dan Dority in the TV show Deadwood, or Kenny the cameraman in Wes Craven's Scream.

Quote:
The Nanny
I remember the first time I watched this I was completely stunned by the ending so immediately watched it again to see how I was fooled. That's a sign of good writing, utterly convincing acting, and clever direction.
Old 4th September 2018, 05:23 PM
Cult King
Senior Moderator

At The Earth's Core (1976)

A Victorian scientist and his assistant take a test run in their Iron Mole drilling machine and end up in a strange underground labyrinth ruled by a species of giant telepathic birds as they lord it over cave men and other assorted creatures.

Pitiful fantasy starring Doug McClure and Peter Cushing. Whilst McClure does what McClure does, Cushing comes across as a more bumbling version of his Dr. Who character. Whilst the script is decent, production values are tiny and the creatures on show are awful man in rubber suit messes. Caroline Munro who seems to be there purely to show off her cleavage sports a suitably vacant look throughout.

Compared to director Kevin Connor's other fantasy efforts - Warlords of Atlantis (1978), The Land that Time Forgot (1974) and The People That Time Forgot (1977), this is dire.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg at-the-earths-core.jpg (102.4 KB, 4 views)
Old 4th September 2018, 09:03 PM
Cultist on the Rampage

All Eyes on Lenzi. The last word on the great director, good contributions & overview of his career & pretty much made me want to see all his crime films (of which I have seen none!), Calum Waddell, the man can make a documentary, one of my faves!

Incidentally does anybody (possibly Calum himself?) Have a list of documentaries (feature length that is) & what releases they are on? Think I've seen most except the Cat 3 one that's not out here yet!
Old 5th September 2018, 12:05 PM
Seasoned Cultist

Possession.

Isabelle Ajani and Sam Neil(the chap out of the Omen 3) live in Berlin and are having major marriage problems. And he later discovers that she has a couple of lovers, one a chap called Heinrik and tho other, well what can i say, you'd have to see it to believe it. Let's just say that if you've seen Dagon you will have a general idea.

This i thought was one seriously weird film, but it is also great at the same time. It was once actually classed as a video nasty but
apart from the scene were she slices her neck with a electric carving knife and the miscarriage on the metro, there's not
really a lot of gore in it. It's just really creepy and strange with OTT hysterical acting.

overall i thought it was a interesting film that is certainly different, you just need a open mind 79.4 out of 100.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg possession_1981_04.jpg (80.5 KB, 5 views)
Old 5th September 2018, 12:07 PM
Cult Addict

Being Different.

Notorious exploitation documentary from the pre cert days looking at people born with various conditions that make them "different"...

In the midst of the present reality TV world this is actually a rather sweet look at the things that make people the same rather than different as it concentrates on the emotions and needs that govern all people.

The most shocking thing in the film is the size of the 'world's fattest man', who today would be classed as just above average weight!
Old 5th September 2018, 12:50 PM
Cultist

Quote:
Possession.

Isabelle Ajani and Sam Neil(the chap out of the Omen 3) live in Berlin and are having major marriage problems. And he later discovers that she has a couple of lovers, one a chap called Heinrik and tho other, well what can i say, you'd have to see it to believe it. Let's just say that if you've seen Dagon you will have a general idea.

This i thought was one seriously weird film, but it is also great at the same time. It was once actually classed as a video nasty but
apart from the scene were she slices her neck with a electric carving knife and the miscarriage on the metro, there's not
really a lot of gore in it. It's just really creepy and strange with OTT hysterical acting.

overall i thought it was a interesting film that is certainly different, you just need a open mind 79.4 out of 100.
Always liked that film, but last time I watched I couldn't help but notice Sam Neil especially over acts the fu*k out of it as well.

Last film I watched;

5/8

Absolute nonsense from Paul Verhoeven, but enjoyable nonsense.
Old 5th September 2018, 02:19 PM
Cult King
Senior Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by John Matrix View Post
Absolute nonsense from Paul Verhoeven, but enjoyable nonsense.
Nonsense?
Old 5th September 2018, 05:53 PM
Cult Addict

The Blood of Fu Manchu
Fu Manchu hatches a plan to use women to poison 10 world leaders and his nemesis, so that he can rule the world. Now Nayland Smith has been poisoned and is blind and has to find and stop fu manchu.
Quite a fun film. Kinda offensive, but that's fine. Christopher Lee seems like he could be anywhere else though.

Sent from my PRA-LX1 using Tapatalk
Old 5th September 2018, 06:09 PM
Cult Veteran
Good Trader

Dracula. 1974

Dracula goes in search for the woman that resembles his long dead wife.

Jack Palance takes on the role of the Count in this T.V Movie version of Stoker's tale, this is another version that's close to the source, although Palance's acting as Dracula may seem to be wooden at times like he has a stick up his back to keep him straight and helps him portray the character. Nigel Davenport appears as Van Helsing, although I haven't seen much of his movies he was a decent actor in this, Simon Ward appears as Arthur Holmwood. Apart from not having the dark gothic gloom other Dracula movies have, this is one to have a glance at. 7 out of 10.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Dracula_palance.jpg (28.6 KB, 5 views)

Like this? Share it using the links below!