Cult Labs

Go Back   Cult Labs > Film Discussions > General Film Discussions

Like Tree179038Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 11th September 2018, 10:54 PM
Cult Veteran
Good Trader

Aguirre: the wrath of God. 1972.

Ruthless Don Lope Aguirre leads an expedition to find hidden gold and slowly depends more into madness.

This film should be renamed as The Madness of Kinski, this is a mesmerising movie From Werner Herzog, with the elements of the amazonian jungle.

Kinski's portrayal as Aguirre is Haunting, as is he acting or portraying absolute madness along with his unpredictable temper which was legendary during the production. This film is not for everyone as it does seem a bit dim and slow but was very enjoyable and worth a watch. 8 out of 10.
Old 12th September 2018, 08:45 AM
Cult Acolyte

The Meg. An underwater scientific team unearth a whole new world beneath the ocean - and a gigantic, thought-extinct "Megalodon" shark that is very, very unhappy about its feeding ground being disturbed. Jason Statham (whose voice sounds distractingly similar to Stephen Dillane!) stars in this surprisingly fun and entertaining monster movie that I wasn't even going to see but for the fact that I had to use a free ticket on something, but I'm actually glad I did. Likeable characters, a fun premise that's entertainingly executed, I enjoyed this a helluva lot more than The Nun!
Old 12th September 2018, 11:20 AM
Seasoned Cultist

Confessions of a Shopaholic.

Rebecca Bloomwood( Isla Fisher) is the ultimate shopaholic and spend freak.and ends up heavily in debt with a massive credit card bill and being chased by a debt collector. and things go from bad to worse when she loses her job as well.

I have to say that i liked this film a lot despite it being very lightweight and a bit predictable .Isla Fisher, who i remember from when she used to be in the aussie soap Home and away, is adorable and cute, and she plays the ditsy girl role to perfection and is so funny like Reese witherspoon in Legally Blonde.

one part in particular that i found funny is when she imagines all the shop mannequins coming to life and enticing her to buy from the stores.

another good comedy to add to my increasing collection and i award 77.5 out of 100.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg confess.jpg (20.6 KB, 3 views)
Old 12th September 2018, 01:01 PM
Cult Acolyte

Creature from the Haunted Sea (Half Sheet) 1961.jpg
CREATURE FROM THE HAUNTED SEA (1961)

Crooks escape by boat with a handful of loyalists and the Cuban National Treasury. The plan to kill off the Cuban's and blame it on a mythical sea monster goes haywire as the real sea creature turns up..

Z-Grade horror(?) comedy (?) from Roger Corman.
This is real test of endurance to last the 1hr 15mins run time.
Thought I would watch it again as I had not seen it in a long time.
Laughable Cookie Monster type creature.
No redeeming features apart from Betsy Jones-Moreland.
Boring.
Old 12th September 2018, 01:56 PM
Cultist

Quote:
Originally Posted by Demdike@Cult Labs View Post
Nonsense?
Yup, one unbelievable plot twist after another.
Old 12th September 2018, 02:05 PM
Cultist

Very slow paced Romanian film about nuns.

That's about the extent of my constructive criticism as I think my appreciation of it was clouded by my sheer disdain for religious extremism.

General premise is this. Alina comes to visit her pal Voichita at the monastery in the hope that they will move away together. Sadly for Alina, Voichita is now absolutely mad wi Jesus and doesn't want to go.

After that it's just 2 hours of brainwashed hysterical nuns crying over anything. I felt sorry for Alina I wanted to tell her look I understand Voichita's probably the most attractive nun you're ever going to find but she's went the full zoomer, it's time to move on, let her lead her life of misery and martyrdom. Or I was hoping Alina would batter the fu*k out of the demented nuns and that sanctimonious priest.

Was going to put it on the trades thread. Artificial Eye Blu Ray - £6.50 delivered for anyone who wants the torture.
keirarts, bleakshaun and MrBarlow like this.
Old 12th September 2018, 02:07 PM
Cultist

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrBarlow View Post
Aguirre: the wrath of God. 1972.

Ruthless Don Lope Aguirre leads an expedition to find hidden gold and slowly depends more into madness.

This film should be renamed as The Madness of Kinski, this is a mesmerising movie From Werner Herzog, with the elements of the amazonian jungle.

Kinski's portrayal as Aguirre is Haunting, as is he acting or portraying absolute madness along with his unpredictable temper which was legendary during the production. This film is not for everyone as it does seem a bit dim and slow but was very enjoyable and worth a watch. 8 out of 10.
Still think the best bit of it is the opening scenes with them going down the mountain with the Popol Vuh soundtrack.
keirarts and MrBarlow like this.
Old 12th September 2018, 02:18 PM
Cult Don
Cult Labs Radio Contributor
Good Trader
Senior Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by John Matrix View Post
Yup, one unbelievable plot twist after another.
You could say the same about World War II films based on real events, like The Pianist, Ashes and Diamonds or Carve Her Name with Pride.

From Wikipedia:
"Black Book is not a true story, unlike Soldier of Orange, but Verhoeven states that many of the events are true. As in the film, the German headquarters were in the Hague. In 1944 many Jews that tried to cross to liberated parts of the southern Netherlands were entrapped by Dutch policemen. As in the film, crossing attempts took place in the Biesbosch.[5] Events are related to the life of Verhoeven, who was born in 1938 and grew up in the Hague during the Second World War."

I think it's an excellent wartime spy thriller and probably Paul Verhoeven's best film. There is an awful lot going on within the narrative, but I didn't think any of it seemed unbelievable or overly convoluted.
Old 12th September 2018, 02:25 PM
Cult Don
Cult Labs Radio Contributor
Good Trader
Senior Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by John Matrix View Post

Was going to put it on the trades thread. Artificial Eye Blu Ray - £6.50 delivered for anyone who wants the torture.
I've liked several of the films I've seen from the Romanian 'new wave' so will probably find a lot to appreciate in this.

Could you send me a PM with your email address and I'll send you the money via PayPal?
keirarts and trebor8273 like this.
Old 12th September 2018, 04:16 PM
Cultist

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nosferatu@Cult Labs View Post
You could say the same about World War II films based on real events, like The Pianist, Ashes and Diamonds or Carve Her Name with Pride.

From Wikipedia:
"Black Book is not a true story, unlike Soldier of Orange, but Verhoeven states that many of the events are true. As in the film, the German headquarters were in the Hague. In 1944 many Jews that tried to cross to liberated parts of the southern Netherlands were entrapped by Dutch policemen. As in the film, crossing attempts took place in the Biesbosch.[5] Events are related to the life of Verhoeven, who was born in 1938 and grew up in the Hague during the Second World War."

I think it's an excellent wartime spy thriller and probably Paul Verhoeven's best film. There is an awful lot going on within the narrative, but I didn't think any of it seemed unbelievable or overly convoluted.
I thought once you get to the last half hour or so it was becoming a bit much. Still really enjoyed it though.
keirarts and trebor8273 like this.

Like this? Share it using the links below!