Cult Labs

Go Back   Cult Labs > Film Discussions > General Film Discussions
All AlbumsBlogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Like Tree179484Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 16th September 2018, 09:14 PM
Cult Acolyte

The Hand. Michael Caine is a comic book creator who loses his hand in a freak car accident. As he struggles to rehabilitate, with his career and marriage collapsing around him, he becomes increasingly convinced that his disembodied hand, which was never found, has somehow gained a rather murderous life of its own... Is a malevolent "hand" really on the loose, or is he just descending into madness? Caine is his usual great self in this early 80s flick (directed, rather strangely, by Oliver "JFK" Stone of all people) that's really more of a psychological thriller than the campy B movie horror the title and premise might make you think. I liked it a lot.
Old 16th September 2018, 09:24 PM
Cult Veteran
Good Trader

To The Devil A Daughter (1976, Peter Sykes)
I put my hands up here and say I do not rate Wheatley at all. His prose is stuffy and riddled with snobbery imho. Having said that the cherubic glee that Lee exudes during a birthing sequence lifted this viewing. Beautiful plumage squire! See you can polish a turd .
A populist debunker of current occultist trends is sweatily tasked by Denholm Elliot (at his fidgety best here ) with rescuing his estranged child from a right bleedin' bunch of cults and no mistaking!
Part paid with deutschmarks, the film is saddled with the albatross that is Natassia Kinski. Christus she is terrible. . And that ending killed Hammer stone dead in my opinion. But it was nice to see an actual human on fire as well. So ... you win some .....

[B]
"... the days ahead will be filled with struggle ... and coated in marzipan ... "[/B]
Old 16th September 2018, 09:27 PM
Moderator Alumni
Cult Labs Radio Contributor
Good Trader

I actually really rate To the Devil a Daughter. Agree with you about Wheatley though.
Old 16th September 2018, 09:38 PM
Cult Veteran
Good Trader

Quote:
Originally Posted by bizarre_eye@Cult Labs View Post
I actually really rate To the Devil a Daughter. Agree with you about Wheatley though.
The film was just a bit lacking for me. I may rewatch it again. That nice Mr Barraclough etc etc.

[B]
"... the days ahead will be filled with struggle ... and coated in marzipan ... "[/B]
Old 16th September 2018, 09:40 PM
Cult Addict

Quote:
The film has grown on me over the years, as for Wheatley, I love the snobbery of his writing. Bloody commoners.
Old 16th September 2018, 09:49 PM
Cult King
Senior Moderator

Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by Make Them Die Slowly View Post
The film has grown on me over the years, as for Wheatley, I love the snobbery of his writing. Bloody commoners.
One of my favourite Hammer films as of 2018.
Old 16th September 2018, 09:49 PM
Cult Veteran
Good Trader

I sticks with the Lovecraft for me snobbery
keirarts likes this.

[B]
Old 16th September 2018, 10:08 PM
Cult King
Senior Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Demoncrat View Post
I sticks with the Lovecraft for me snobbery
Lovecraft? He had no imagination; Everything was indescribable!
Demoncrat likes this.
Old 16th September 2018, 10:27 PM
Cult Veteran
Good Trader

For a good reason dear boy

[B]
Old 17th September 2018, 02:13 AM
Cult Addict

Thirsty for Love, Sex and Murder (1972)

71qUVDbGLuL.jpg

I accidentally signed up for the Amazon prime trial when ordering something , so thought i may as well peruse the dodgy films, have set up a watchlist and am going to try and watch a few over the next few weeks.

First up was this, dragged in by the title, (Which i'd never heard of) and the fact that's it's only an hour long.

A Turkish giallo (well basically a remake of "The strange vice of Mrs Wardh") this was really entertaining (i thought), full of bad editing and even dodgier acting that i found at points hilarious.
Then smothered with a completely slapdash soundtrack that sounds like a mix of slow melodies, cut up and chopped together by a moron on speed, then blended with what sounds like a fuzz guitar being fought over by a gang of hungry alley cats.

It's not particularly gory, but it's filled with stupid scenes like where a victim is asking the killer not to rape her (as she slowly undoes her top ..eh?) whilst he is not even touching her and she could easily run away.
Also a detective who acts all chilled then suddenly shouts questions in witnesses faces randomly, and a guy who suddenly does cartwheels to evade bullets.

Not a good film in any sense of the word but i found it really entertaining. 7/10

MIKE: I've got it! Peter Cushing! We've got to drive a stake through his heart!
VYVYAN: Great! I'll get the car!
NEIL: I'll get a cushion.

Like this? Share it using the links below!