Cult Labs

Go Back   Cult Labs > Film Discussions > General Film Discussions
All AlbumsBlogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Like Tree179625Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 30th September 2018, 02:21 PM
Seasoned Cultist

Black Sabbath.

An early anthology film from Mario bava with Boris karloff telling three stories. The first one is called The Drop of water, and is about a nurse who steals a ring off the finger of a dead old psychic witch's corpse. and she soon regrets her actions in this creepy tale with loads of atmos. And the corpse is seriously spooky looking as well.
The next story is The Telephone and is about a ex hooker getting weird phone calls. It looks good and stylish, but i have to say that i thought it was the weakest out the three. but not bad though.
But the best tale is The Wurdulak a old fashioned gothic tale about a chap(Boris Karloff) who has gone out to kill a vampire and his family are waiting for his return, and unless he's back in 5 days theyre not supposed to let him in incase he's a vampire. Really creepy story indeed with nice period detail and use of colour.

Pretty decent film overall and although i still think Dario argento is the best italian horror director, Mario bava certainly made some decent efforts as well. 86.5 out of 100.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg blacksabbath6big.jpg (93.8 KB, 4 views)
Old 30th September 2018, 02:48 PM
Cult Veteran
Good Trader

Nos

*Raiders of Atlantis./Atlantis interceptors

Attachment 209503

First time watch for this Deodato cheese-fest and i found it to be a total hodgepodge cut-up-f*ck-up of a lot of better films. Didn't make a blind bit of sense but was carried along by a barrage of explosive action and pathetic dialogue.

An enjoyable 6.5/10

I really like this film shame only version to buy is in foreign language with no subtitles .
Old 30th September 2018, 04:17 PM
Seasoned Cultist

Raiders of Atlantis was a fun movie from what i remember watching the old Medusa Vhs in the 1980's.
Biker gangs, a crystal skull, a glass dommed city, and a chap getting his head cut off when they put a rope across the road
Old 30th September 2018, 05:05 PM
Cult Veteran
Good Trader

Proper cinema!!

[B]
"... the days ahead will be filled with struggle ... and coated in marzipan ... "[/B]
Old 30th September 2018, 05:10 PM
Cult Addict

I think if i'd have seen it as a kid i'd have liked it a lot more.

"New Barbarians" and "Exterminators of the year 3000" were favourites of mine on VHS and i still really like those.

Atlantis seems like a "mad max 2" and "Warlords of Atlantis" hybrid and is enjoyable but the ending was a bit meh.
keirarts likes this.

MIKE: I've got it! Peter Cushing! We've got to drive a stake through his heart!
VYVYAN: Great! I'll get the car!
NEIL: I'll get a cushion.
Old 30th September 2018, 05:16 PM
Cult Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by Demoncrat View Post
The Vampire Lovers (1970, Roy Ward Baker)

Hammer goes all booby with this colourless adaptation of Sheridan Le Fanu's tale. Inkgrid Pitt is welcomed into various unsuspecting households, where she practises the ancient art of pouting in slow motion. And wearing a rug.
Look, I've never really cared for this one. George Cole??
PC looks tired and all. Twins Of Evil towers over this flick. In fact,
.. where's it at
I've never been that keen on this one either although it has Madeline Smith in it so that's a big plus point for me.
keirarts and trebor8273 like this.

MIKE: I've got it! Peter Cushing! We've got to drive a stake through his heart!
VYVYAN: Great! I'll get the car!
NEIL: I'll get a cushion.
Old 30th September 2018, 05:35 PM
Cult Veteran
Good Trader

She is one of the plural points certainly ....
trebor8273 and nosferatu42 like this.

[B]
"... the days ahead will be filled with struggle ... and coated in marzipan ... "[/B]
Old 30th September 2018, 06:49 PM
Cult Veteran
Good Trader

Enigma (1982, Jeannot Swzarc)
A cast of stalwarts (... Denholm must have been busy though ) spy their way about ze East Berlin in search for a returning rogue element in the shape of Martin Sheen. Novel based, it's nastyish in places ... recommended!! This 4:3 print not ideal ... cheapo dvd etc.

Death In Brunswick (1985, John Ruane)
Sam Neill has a lot on his plate, what with his mum 'housesitting', his rather violent employers aaand a nascent relationship with a girl half his age cough 's not what you think ... so when an accidental demise is thrust upon his shoulders, it's up to our rather hapless 'hero' to save the day. See under Quirky in dictionary I suppose .

[B]
Old 30th September 2018, 07:25 PM
Cultist on the Rampage

Alice Sweet Alice(1976).

Superb giallo-esque horror/thriller set around the Catholic church.
Brooke Shields plays Karen, a young girl having her first communion who ends up brutally murdered in church by a maniac donning a yellow mack and a mask. All the evidence points to Alice, her jealous and disturbed sister who was the last one to enter the church.

Directed by Alfred Sole, this has influences from several films, to Don't Look Now, Psycho, and even Halloween.

Paula Sheppard is superb as well as the extremely confused and disturbed young Alice. The rest of the cast are pretty good too with a memorable performance from a very creepy landlord.

Very well recommended. The atmosphere in the film is superb and steeped in religious iconography and gives a creepy feeling of unease. And a film with some extremely brutal and realistic murders. 8/10.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Alice_RED_2D_1400x.jpg (96.9 KB, 3 views)
Old 30th September 2018, 08:09 PM
Cult Veteran
Good Trader

Quote:
Originally Posted by Crimson Blade View Post
Alice Sweet Alice(1976).

Superb giallo-esque horror/thriller set around the Catholic church.
Brooke Shields plays Karen, a young girl having her first communion who ends up brutally murdered in church by a maniac donning a yellow mack and a mask. All the evidence points to Alice, her jealous and disturbed sister who was the last one to enter the church.

Directed by Alfred Sole, this has influences from several films, to Don't Look Now, Psycho, and even Halloween.

Paula Sheppard is superb as well as the extremely confused and disturbed young Alice. The rest of the cast are pretty good too with a memorable performance from a very creepy landlord.

Very well recommended. The atmosphere in the film is superb and steeped in religious iconography and gives a creepy feeling of unease. And a film with some extremely brutal and realistic murders. 8/10.

Sterling review CB!!

[B]

Like this? Share it using the links below!