Go Back   Cult Labs > Film Discussions > General Film Discussions

Like Tree179414Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 6th November 2018, 10:05 PM
Cult Veteran
Good Trader

Pinching that one J

[B]
"... the days ahead will be filled with struggle ... and coated in marzipan ... "[/B]
Old 7th November 2018, 07:01 PM
Cult Veteran
Good Trader

The Snake Pit (Anatole Litvak)

Olivia De Havilland stars as Virginia, who is under the care of the kindly Dr Kitt after a nervous breakdown. We get the usual Freudian interpretation that Hollywood loves to film. Trauma can last a lifetime. Ask any Aberdeen supporter . The titular ward is only a step up from Bedlam. Whilst it isn't as hard edged as Shock Corridor, it still brought a tear to the eye.
Back to the sleazoidexploitogorehounds!

[B]
"... the days ahead will be filled with struggle ... and coated in marzipan ... "[/B]
Old 7th November 2018, 08:26 PM
Cult Veteran
Good Trader

Dellamorte Dellamore (Michele Soavi)

A romp around Dylan Dog territory. Easily his most technically advanced film. No job is perfect ... but surely caretaking a graveyard should be a doddle, no?
No. The natives are restless, it seems . Handily, the auld lead enema sorts them out.
There are flaws. But I'm a forgiving Demon ... sometimes .

[B]
Old 7th November 2018, 08:28 PM
Cult Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by Demoncrat View Post
Dellamorte Dellamore (Michele Soavi)

A romp around Dylan Dog territory. Easily his most technically advanced film. No job is perfect ... but surely caretaking a graveyard should be a doddle, no?
No. The natives are restless, it seems . Handily, the auld lead enema sorts them out.
There are flaws. But I'm a forgiving Demon ... sometimes .
When you say technically advanced, I thought you were gonna have a dig at shameless

Sent from my PRA-LX1 using Tapatalk
Demoncrat and keirarts like this.
Old 7th November 2018, 08:53 PM
Cult Veteran
Good Trader

As I say, I see nothing wrong with it. It's far clearer than my auld vhs wis ... even if the nightime scenes could be cough clearer ....

Ahem

[B]
Old 8th November 2018, 08:19 AM
Cultist on the Rampage

Mandy by Panos Cosmatos

Most disappointing film that I've seen in a long time. Weirdly it reminded me of the recent Ghostbusters movie for a couple of reasons:

A) I badly wanted to love it (but I didn't)
B) I couldn't fault the actors. They did their best with the material.

A film like this needs great cinematography throughout. There are moments such as a isolated boat shot, the bathroom scene and Bill Duke's trailer interior but too much of the film just looks incredibly 'meh.' It does have a beautiful soundtrack and like I said, the acting is very good. But I was kinda expecting something really special rather than just an okay film. Sold it to Cex the very next day.

I told my wife that I could describe the film in four words: "Close but no cigar." She told me that she could describe it in three words: "Head up ass." lol (She found it pretentious) Film score - 6.5/10. Not a terrible score but I expected greatness after all of the high praise. Yes, it's an unusual film but that doesn't necessarily equate to being an especially good genre movie.
Old 8th November 2018, 12:27 PM
Seasoned Cultist

In The Eye of The Hurricane.

Ruth(Analia Gade) and her husband Michel are having marriage problems and she is carrying on with another chap called Paul, who she leaves her husband for and moves in with at his meditteranean villa. but then she experiences a series of strange accidents including brakes failing on her car and air tanks failing when she's scuba diving. and who is to blame? Paul? Miguel? or Pauls
creepy army buddy?

this is what i would describe as one of those jet set type giallos were you have a bunch of rich types living it up in exotic locations with fancy clothes and cars. and this one fits the typical bill with beautiful houses and sunny scenery and beaches, and even exotic swans.

Very light on violence though, with more emphasis on the erotic, but even that is very mild, and it made me laugh that the lead actress Analia Gade always has something strategically in the way every time she gets her boobs out.

but not a bad film at all, with a bit of a mystery as well. so will award this 73 out of 100.
Old 8th November 2018, 06:31 PM
Cult Veteran
Good Trader

Eat Me. 2018

A woman on brink of suicide decides to take a overdose, while unconcious, two men invade her home, over a course of one night she is beaten raped and humiliated.

I watched this last night and wasnt what i expected, Jacqueline Wright wrote and starred in this tense thriller, i will admit it can be tough movie to watch at times, it is more like not appreciating life to having a traumatic experience to accepting how life is and forgiveness, this is one to watch. 7 out of 10.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Eat me.jpg (16.7 KB, 6 views)
Old 8th November 2018, 07:01 PM
Cult Addict

Well I was babysitting my young niece (5 years old) and we watched Lilo and Stitch.
A scientist is put on trial for creating a creature who escapes to earth and hides as a pet for a girl and her older sister who are being reviewed by a social worker, stitch is hunted down by his creator and a (space) cop. Chaos and hilarity ensues.
It's been years since I watched this and it still has all the fun and charm that the cartoon animated Disney films had.
We need that sort of animation back dammit.

Sent from my PRA-LX1 using Tapatalk
Old 8th November 2018, 07:36 PM
Cultist on the Rampage

the Invisible Man(1933).

Outstanding Universal classic starring Claude Rains as the scientist who discovers the secret of invisibility but doesn't realise the side effects of madness and ends up terrorising the residents of a country village.

Frankenstein director James Whale delivers a great blend of action and horror with some superb comedy moments in this one, the dancing trousers and bicycle scenes are hysterical. And considering the special effects were done in 1933 they are excellent and look even better than some of the films made today with their unrealistic CGI.
Claude Rains does an amazing job despite being invisible or covered in bandages and dark glasses most of the time. His vocal range is fantastic as he gets more and more paranoid turning into a megalomaniac. Good supporting cast too, including the hilarious Una O'Connor as the screaming inn keeper's wife.
An excellent recommend. 8.5/10.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 81tKaTpOc5L._SX342_.jpg (31.3 KB, 5 views)

Like this? Share it using the links below!