Go Back   Cult Labs > Film Discussions > General Film Discussions
All AlbumsBlogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Like Tree179482Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 15th November 2018, 06:20 PM
Cult Veteran
Good Trader

Carry On Cowboy 1965.

Sanitary Engineer Marshall P Knut is mistaken to be a law marshall and sent to Stodge city to get rid of The Rumpo Kid and his gang.

Sid james, Joan Simms, Charels Hawtrey,Kenneth Williams, Angela Douglas, Jim Dale Bernard Bresslaw join together for this spoof on the western genre of movies, thats full of gags from the opening and having a sherrif of the town thats partially sighted and completely deaf. This was noted not to be in high regard of the carry on genre at it was delibrate lack of authenticty of the wild west but as a carry on movie it doesnt have to be authentic. defenitly one to add, 8 out of 10.

Maximum Overdrive 1986.

A comet passing earth emmits an energy that turns machines into killing machines, a group of people hold up in a truck stop try to survive.

Horror maestro Stephen King wrote and directed this feature who admitted to being high on coccaine while directing it and not knowing what he was doing. This is one of those 80s stylish B movie s that makes no sense as it seems trucks are more affected by the comet and a lawnmower but not a car and a ATM machine calling a guy a asshole. Emelio Estevez, Pat Hingle and Frankie Faison seemed to have enjoyed making this movie, have you ever seen a hero with his ass in the air, there is a good soundtrack from AC/DC. 6 out of 10.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Carry on cowboy.jpg (103.0 KB, 5 views)
File Type: jpg Maximum overdrive.jpg (24.6 KB, 5 views)
Old 15th November 2018, 07:02 PM
Cultist on the Rampage

House By The Cemetery(1981).

Norman and Lucy Boyle, together with their young son Bob, move to a creepy old house in New Whitby near Boston so that Norman can continue with his colleague's research who had earlier murdered his lover and hanged himself.

From Italian horror master, Lucio Fulci comes his final installment in The Gates of Hell trilogy. A beautifully crafted film dripping in gothic atmosphere that combines a ghost and zombie story.

Regular Fulci actress Catriona McColl is excellent as Lucy and also Paolo Malco who plays her husband Norman. Giovanni Frezzi is the wink link in the chain as Bob due to his hilariously bad dubbing, but even that all adds to the charm of the film. The beautiful Ania Pieroni, from Inferno, also co-stars as the mysterious Anne the babysitter who is good at making coffee and mopping up pools of blood and is responsible for a lot of the film's strange plot holes.
And although the usual Fabio Frizzi doesn't supply the soundtrack this time, Walter Rizzati does an excellent job that adds to the atmosphere of the film. 8.5/10.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 91-pU8+bc0L._SX342_.jpg (41.0 KB, 5 views)
Old 16th November 2018, 11:27 AM
Seasoned Cultist

Amuck.

Hot young secretery Greta(the stunning barbara Bouchet) takes a job with a writer Richard stewart( farley granger, the chap from Prowler) so that she can find out what has happened to her missing girlfriend Sally who strangely vanished while she was working for Richard as well. And finds herself drawn into the bizarre sex games of Richard and his foxy bisexual wife Elenora(Rosalba Neri).

With two top hotties like Bouchet and Neri getting their kit off and indulging in a bit of the old lady loving, this film could be absolute crap and still higely entertaining. but it's actually quite a decent little giallo with some good suspense and mystery, and not to mention some decent locations too. low on gore though.

but i have to say that this is a very solid release from 88 films indeed, and gets extra marks for Bouchet's outstanding mini skirts, and not to forget Neri's impressive hot pants and boots as well. women certainly new how to dress in those days 80 out of 100.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 2.jpg (19.6 KB, 6 views)
Old 16th November 2018, 11:59 AM
Cult King
Cult Labs Radio Contributor
Senior Moderator

City of the Dead (1960)

I'm sure you don't need me to tell you how good this British tale of American witchcraft is. Let's just say it's a beautifully atmospheric masterpiece and leave it at that.

I watched the Arrow version with the newly commissioned Jonathan Rigby commentary track. I like Rigby. I love his 'Gothic' books. He's a very knowledgeable source of information and comes across as an entertaining story teller. Because yes, he tells tales, behind the scenes tales, tales about producers Milton Subotsky and Max Rosenberg and the formation of Amicus Films. From stars Christopher Lee to Valentine Dyall, and Bette St John to Venetia Stevenson - all are discussed here in an engaging style.

In fact you can tell how interesting the talk was as a 76 minute film felt like half an hour at most.

Recommended.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg horror_hotel_1960_poster_02.jpg (96.0 KB, 6 views)
Old 16th November 2018, 12:08 PM
Seasoned Cultist

Classic witch film. I keep meaning to upgrade my copy of City of The Dead. i still have that horrible Redemption release
Demoncrat and keirarts like this.
Old 16th November 2018, 12:14 PM
Cult King
Cult Labs Radio Contributor
Senior Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Paul Zombie View Post
Classic witch film. I keep meaning to upgrade my copy of City of The Dead. i still have that horrible Redemption release
I have the US VCI dvd which looks splendid and features a Lee Commentary, but upgraded in the recent Fopp offer for the Arrow dual format purely for this Rigby commentary. The rest of the VCI extras are the ones Arrow ported over.
Demoncrat and keirarts like this.
Old 16th November 2018, 12:35 PM
Seasoned Cultist

Quote:
Originally Posted by Demdike@Cult Labs View Post
I have the US VCI dvd which looks splendid and features a Lee Commentary, but upgraded in the recent Fopp offer for the Arrow dual format purely for this Rigby commentary. The rest of the VCI extras are the ones Arrow ported over.
I'll probably end up getting the Arrow release as well. frustrating when it was just on offer in the 5 for £30 as well. but will probably be on sale again before long.
keirarts likes this.
Old 16th November 2018, 05:37 PM
Cult Veteran
Good Trader

Unfriended: Dark Web

The moral being ... there are no shortcuts . When Matias 'acquires' a new laptop, he thinks he has scored.
Sadly he doesn't know he's in a horror film .
About as entertaining as the first .... let's face it I like FF films for my sins. This is about average, as 5 people Skyping isn't that visual tbh .
Somewhat ludicrous after the fact, it plays on the 'fact' that the 'dark net' is crammed full of ... unsavoury types .
Again it was more effective on the PC.

Next!

[B]
"... the days ahead will be filled with struggle ... and coated in marzipan ... "[/B]
Old 16th November 2018, 06:52 PM
Cult Veteran
Good Trader

Quote:
Originally Posted by Crimson Blade View Post
House By The Cemetery(1981).

Norman and Lucy Boyle, together with their young son Bob, move to a creepy old house in New Whitby near Boston so that Norman can continue with his colleague's research who had earlier murdered his lover and hanged himself.

From Italian horror master, Lucio Fulci comes his final installment in The Gates of Hell trilogy. A beautifully crafted film dripping in gothic atmosphere that combines a ghost and zombie story.

Regular Fulci actress Catriona McColl is excellent as Lucy and also Paolo Malco who plays her husband Norman. Giovanni Frezzi is the wink link in the chain as Bob due to his hilariously bad dubbing, but even that all adds to the charm of the film. The beautiful Ania Pieroni, from Inferno, also co-stars as the mysterious Anne the babysitter who is good at making coffee and mopping up pools of blood and is responsible for a lot of the film's strange plot holes.
And although the usual Fabio Frizzi doesn't supply the soundtrack this time, Walter Rizzati does an excellent job that adds to the atmosphere of the film. 8.5/10.
Do the cobwebs at the start look pretty then??

[B]
"... the days ahead will be filled with struggle ... and coated in marzipan ... "[/B]
Old 16th November 2018, 08:26 PM
Cult Veteran
Good Trader

Quote:
Originally Posted by Demdike@Cult Labs View Post
City of the Dead (1960)

I'm sure you don't need me to tell you how good this British tale of American witchcraft is. Let's just say it's a beautifully atmospheric masterpiece and leave it at that.

I watched the Arrow version with the newly commissioned Jonathan Rigby commentary track. I like Rigby. I love his 'Gothic' books. He's a very knowledgeable source of information and comes across as an entertaining story teller. Because yes, he tells tales, behind the scenes tales, tales about producers Milton Subotsky and Max Rosenberg and the formation of Amicus Films. From stars Christopher Lee to Valentine Dyall, and Bette St John to Venetia Stevenson - all are discussed here in an engaging style.

In fact you can tell how interesting the talk was as a 76 minute film felt like half an hour at most.

Recommended.
Still need this one. Review!

[B]

Like this? Share it using the links below!