Cult Labs

Go Back   Cult Labs > Film Discussions > General Film Discussions

Like Tree179038Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 20th November 2018, 02:20 PM
Seasoned Cultist

the Cynic The Rat and The Fist.

The Chinaman(Tomas Milian, the chap out of Almost Human) escapes from jail and vows to kill the retired cop Inspector Tanzi(mauricio Merli) who arrested him. And sends his heavies round to shoot him, but they fail and he fakes his own death. now anonymous Tanzi sets out to bring down the Chinaman and his partner played by the great John Saxon.

This is another top notch film from Cannibal Ferox director Umberto Lenzi. and like Sergio Martino can go from genre to genre making great films that are always entertaining and never boring. and he does a very good job here indeed with great action and witty dialogue.
Merli is excellent as the no nonsense Dirty harry type with his blond hair and Franco Nero style moustache kicking the asses of the low life filth . and Tomas Milan as usual plays a bad guy in a role that seems to come naturally to him. And John Saxon is also superb as the mafia boss torturing people with golf balls and feeding them to his great danes.

Superb stuff indeed, with plenty of the old J&B, and another excellent release from 88 Films. and i hope that put out Rome Armed to the Teeth next. 80 out of 100.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 11271.jpg (35.2 KB, 4 views)
Old 20th November 2018, 02:51 PM
Cult King
Cult Labs Radio Contributor
Senior Moderator

Wyvern (2008)

A made for Syfy Channel production which is far better than you might expect.

The plot itself is fairly basic as a legendary dragon like Wyvern attacks a small Alaskan town near the Arctic Circle. However what the production excels at is giving us well written and believable characters, in fact the first twenty minutes is very much character driven and is arguably the most proficient part of the film.

D-list actors Nick Chinlund and Erin Karpluk display proper chemistry and this helps the film greatly. We also have a big role for Stargate SG-1's Don S. Davis in what was his final role i think, although the site of General Hammond in nothing but his underpants is something i wish i could unsee.

The Wyvern itself looks pretty good. None of the special effects look particularly clunky which again isn't something you can say for all Syfy productions.

I've seen this twice now and thoroughly enjoyed it on both occasions and would recommend it to monster movie fans.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 61zjE3MJNeL._SY445_.jpg (47.0 KB, 4 views)
Old 20th November 2018, 06:53 PM
Cult Veteran
Good Trader

Surf Nazis Must Die! (1987, Peter George)

A rather dull Troma film, centred around a buncha twats who surf. As the director seems hellbent on ruining every scene with inertia, this is possibly why there are endless inserts of real surfers (some are passed off as the actors ... )??
Alleviated by a great 'sassy' performance by Gail Neely as an avenging parent. She saves the film. The main villain is a clod with the magnetism of a week old pear.
Next!!!!

[B]
"... the days ahead will be filled with struggle ... and coated in marzipan ... "[/B]
Old 20th November 2018, 08:43 PM
Cultist on the Rampage

Murphy's Law(1985).

Charles Bronson plays Jack Murphy, a cop who has hit the bottle after his wife has left him and become a stripper. And ends up getting framed for her murder by an ex-con who has a vendetta against him.
And to make matters worse, he ends up handcuffed and on the run with an annoying potty-mouthed kid Arabella Mcgee, whom he had earlier arrested for stealing his car. And also marked for death by the mafia who he has also offended.

One of Charles Bronson's and director J Lee Thompson's classic Cannon films from the 1980's, full of non-stop action and great one-liners. Although, Kathleen Wilhoite who plays Mcgee does come out with some unbelievable childish put-downs, 'Donkey fart', 'dildo nose'.

Very well done though, and with a good story. And all in all, a superb cheesy action film, that doesn't fail to entertain. 8/10.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 51KNFM13M7L._SY445_.jpg (39.1 KB, 5 views)
Old 20th November 2018, 09:16 PM
Cult Acolyte

Time Bandits. A young boy finds himself on a wild adventure through history when a band of diminutive time travellers come crashing out of his wardrobe. John Cleese and Michael Palin rub shoulders with Sean Connery, Ian Holm and David Warner (very funny) in Terry Gilliam's early 80s comic fantasy. Still good fun.
Old 21st November 2018, 02:01 PM
Seasoned Cultist

Frankenstein Created Woman.

Baron Frankenstein(Peter Cushing) is back and taking a break from monster making, and instead trying to capture souls before they leave the body by means of a device that looks like a couple of satellite dishes. and when his young assistent Hans gets falsely accused of killing the local innkeeper and gets guillotined, the Baron traps his soul so that he can transfer it into a new body.and as luck would have it, Han's facially disfigured girlfriend Christina( Susan denberg) commits suicide, so Cushing transfers Han's soul into her body. but as usual in these films everything always go pear shaped and Christina ends up on a killing spree murdering the three men who actually did the crime that Hans got blamed for.

i have to say that this is one of my favorites out of the Frankenstein sequels, and is superbly directed by the great Terence Fisher. Acting is first rate as always, with a slightly more sympathetic performance by the legendary Mr Cushing in this one. Susan Denberg is also effective as the downtrodden Christina, who is tormented by the mean spirted gentry chaps, and was so
satisfying to see them get their just deserts.
Very good indeed, and definately a superior entry in the Frankenstein saga. 87 out of 100.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Frankenstein-Created-Women-3-1400x790.jpg (18.8 KB, 3 views)
Old 21st November 2018, 03:21 PM
Cult Veteran
Good Trader

The Blake Murder Mystery 1940
(aka Haunted House)

Two teenagers become investigators after their friend is framed for a crime and prove his innocence.

This was a low budget B movie, the acting was decent and some actors have the infinity to talk loud but did have a good story line with a twist that was expected. any fan of the 1930s-40s movie will enjoy this classic murder mystery thriller from director Robert F. McGowan. 6 out of 10
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 214406-haunted-house-0-230-0-345-crop.jpg (40.8 KB, 3 views)
Old 21st November 2018, 04:30 PM
Cult King
Senior Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrBarlow View Post
The Blake Murder Mystery 1940
(aka Haunted House)

Two teenagers become investigators after their friend is framed for a crime and prove his innocence.

This was a low budget B movie, the acting was decent and some actors have the infinity to talk loud but did have a good story line with a twist that was expected. any fan of the 1930s-40s movie will enjoy this classic murder mystery thriller from director Robert F. McGowan. 6 out of 10
Is it an old dark house film then?

The title suggests it is but you don't mention it nor atmosphere of any sort. Is it out on disc? I have to say i've never heard of it Mr.B.
keirarts likes this.
Old 21st November 2018, 04:40 PM
Cult Veteran
Good Trader

Quote:
Originally Posted by Demdike@Cult Labs View Post
Is it an old dark house film then?

The title suggests it is but you don't mention it nor atmosphere of any sort. Is it out on disc? I have to say i've never heard of it Mr.B.
This was the first time i have seen it, all i can say is dont be fooled by the haunted house title. The house itself is only seen for 5-6 minutes if that
keirarts likes this.
Old 21st November 2018, 04:42 PM
Cult King
Senior Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrBarlow View Post
This was the first time i have seen it, all i can say is dont be fooled by the haunted house title. The house itself is only seen for 5-6 minutes if that
Very good. It's now left the radar to be forgotten about forever.
keirarts likes this.

Like this? Share it using the links below!