Go Back   Cult Labs > Film Discussions > General Film Discussions
All AlbumsBlogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Like Tree179480Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 24th December 2018, 12:55 PM
Cult Acolyte

Bumblebee.jpg

BUMBLEBEE

Entertaining fun ride. Focuses more on story and emotions than action.
Great to see the original animation Autobots and Decepticons in a few scenes.
Story is set in the 80's so has a soundtrack to fit.
Yeah, it was good, but don't go expecting things blowing up every few seconds.
Old 24th December 2018, 01:27 PM
Cult King
Cult Labs Radio Contributor
Senior Moderator

Default Decemberdike

December 22nd

Secret Santa (2018)

The usual scenario - a family Christmas Eve get together, gifts, arguments, military grade sodium pentothal, that kind of thing.

Secret Santa is an utterly bonkers film. Crammed with witty dialogue of the bitchy back biting variety, it's a depiction of the perfect, if that's the right word, dysfunctional family as from the half hour mark total mayhem kicks in. I laughed and cringed, often at the same time, and really enjoyed this gory and wickedly funny over the top thrill ride.

Not for the feint of heart.

.................................................. ..............................

December 23rd

Better Watch Out (2016)

A 17 year old girl gets a job baby sitting a precocious 12-year-old boy.

That's really all i'm going to say plot wise. Better Watch Out is a well made, twisty turny, seasonal horror thriller with nods to a more famous seasonal film. Whilst at times infuriating with it's plot contrivances it's still a very enjoyable thriller, but, and this is a big but, now i know what happens i'm not sure it's one i'd return to despite it being a fairly gripping hour and a half's entertainment. Had it been that bit grittier it may well have proved a more satisfying experience.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Poster_Sectret Santa.jpg (104.7 KB, 5 views)
File Type: jpg Better_Watch_Out-Poster-wide.jpg (63.7 KB, 4 views)
Old 24th December 2018, 03:34 PM
Seasoned Cultist

Sex Tape.

Annie(Cameron Diaz) and Jay(jason segel) are a married couple with kids who decide to spice up their sex life after it has gone a bit flat by making a sex tape. but it ends up in the wrong hands after he forgets to delete it. and then they have to try to get back all the copies of the video before anybody sees it.

okay, i have to admit that this isn't the greatest comedy ever made but it is still worth a watch with some funny moments, even if some of the jokes are a bit lame and fall a bit flat.
And also the fact that it has Cameron Diaz in it, which is always a plus point in my book. and she still looks in pretty good nick for a woman in her 40's.
Rob Lowe also has a bit part as well as cameron's boss who enjoys listening to Slayer, snorting coke, and has a drawer in his bedroom full of rather unusual items.

Not a bad effort and a fairly entertaining way to spend 1 hour and 30+ minutes when i fancy a bit of a change from rape and murder.
67 out of 100.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg webANXsextape.jpg (31.9 KB, 6 views)
Old 24th December 2018, 07:10 PM
Cultist on the Rampage

Watched an enjoyable if unspectacular 90's action thriller with Morgan Freeman and Christian Slater called Hard Rain (1998) on IPlayer last night.

Nice special effects and action sequences, engaging enough story and decent performances make this a 7/10.

Last edited by Buboven; 25th December 2018 at 11:46 AM.
Old 24th December 2018, 07:42 PM
Cult Addict

Tales from the Crypt
A group of people on a tour get lost and meet a mysterious stranger who tells each character a story of what will happen.
A classic horror anthology, the first tale especially felt appropriate for this time of year and with a cast including Peter Cushing and Patrick Magee. Favourite tale has to be Blind Alleys.
Recommended.

Sent from my PRA-LX1 using Tapatalk
Old 24th December 2018, 08:20 PM
Cult Veteran
Good Trader

Quote:
Originally Posted by bleakshaun View Post
Tales from the Crypt
A group of people on a tour get lost and meet a mysterious stranger who tells each character a story of what will happen.
A classic horror anthology, the first tale especially felt appropriate for this time of year and with a cast including Peter Cushing and Patrick Magee. Favourite tale has to be Blind Alleys.
Recommended.

Sent from my PRA-LX1 using Tapatalk
I record films like this all the time and then watch them later at some point .
I watched vaults of horror yesterday which is equally as good .
Old 24th December 2018, 08:36 PM
Cult Veteran
Good Trader

Peppermint

Alias is Taken (wink).

I Love You, Daddy

Louis CK lifts Hollywood's skirt for all to see ....

The Canterbury Tales (1971)

Pasolini tackles Chaucer. Cocks a-plenty. Including a certain Timelord cough cough

[B]
"... the days ahead will be filled with struggle ... and coated in marzipan ... "[/B]
Old 26th December 2018, 09:27 PM
Cult Veteran
Good Trader

Watching Jurassic park. The original and still the best ,the scene when we see the dinosaurs for the first time still gives me goosebumps as it did when I first saw it at the cinema.
Old 26th December 2018, 10:23 PM
Cult Acolyte

Quote:
Originally Posted by Buboven View Post
Watched an enjoyable if unspectacular 90's action thriller with Morgan Freeman and Christian Slater called Hard Rain (1998) on IPlayer last night.

Nice special effects and action sequences, engaging enough story and decent performances make this a 7/10.
Yeah, I saw this again on Blu a year or so back. I enjoyed it more than I did back in the day, though I'll refrain from guessing why that would be (cough modern cinema cough).
keirarts likes this.
Old 27th December 2018, 10:24 PM
Cult King
Senior Moderator

Default Decemberdike

Christmas Eve

The Old Dark House (1932)

The new Eureka print sourced from the Cohen Group looks lovely and finally allows one of the great horror films to be seen how it should be seen, in fact it wouldn't surprise me if the film looked better now in the 21st century world of Blu-ray / dvd / flat screen tvs than it ever did in 1930's cinemas.

As for the film itself, it's a real gem and the first proper 'old dark house' film, the film that started a horror and thriller sub genre and every way as important a film for Universal as Frankenstein and Dracula in embracing Gothic horror and setting the scene for decades to come.

.................................................. ..........................

Christmas Day

Ghost Stories (2017)

A British horror anthology from Andy Nyman and Jeremy Dyson in the vein of the classic Amicus portmanteau horrors of the late sixties and early seventies. However that's where the similarity ends.

The movie poster and dvd cover scream out that, according to The Sun, it's "The Best British Horror Movie for Years".

Well it is - If you haven't seen any British horror movies for years!
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 14346_1_large.jpg (89.5 KB, 4 views)
File Type: jpg 24499df0d34500fde9b07a46e92ccd58.jpg (97.5 KB, 6 views)

Like this? Share it using the links below!