Cult Labs

Go Back   Cult Labs > Film Discussions > General Film Discussions

Like Tree179038Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 10th February 2019, 07:37 PM
Moderator Alumni
Cult Labs Radio Contributor
Good Trader

Controversial post of the day: I actually prefer Mark of the Witch to Casablanca.
Old 10th February 2019, 08:57 PM
Cult Veteran
Good Trader

The Wasp Woman 1959.

Cosmetic queen Janice seeks a formula to slow down her ageing skin and tries a formula unaware of the side effects.

This was a strange one from director Roger Corman, it seems to start off interesting then slow and pace is picked up quick to a fast ending. Aside from that there is a blend of twists and suspenseful moments. Susan Cabot does play her part well as the queen of cosmetics Janice, but the costume effects of the wasp woman isnt the best and seems more comical than horror, 5 out of 10.

There is a 1995 remake of this, does anyone know if it's a decent film to watch?
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 220px-The_Wasp_Woman.jpg (27.3 KB, 6 views)
Old 10th February 2019, 09:52 PM
Cult Veteran
Good Trader

Enjoyable popcorn fodder , which makes a few changes from the manga, which I supposed had to be done to get a 12a rating , could easily of been a 18 if followed the manga. A few effects look out of place but on the whole it looks fantastic and has one of the best uses of 3D, really is a film that needs to be seen on the biggest screen possible. 7.5/10

Now watching snow beast.
Old 11th February 2019, 12:01 AM
Cult Veteran
Good Trader

Fiend Without A Face 1958.

A scientist using telekinesis powers enhanced by nuclear power plant creates a new life form and it escapes killing people but nobody knows what it looks like or where it will strike next.

This was quite enjoyable Sci-Fi horror flick from the 50s, the title can make the film sound stupid don't let that put you off, the acting was good, the special effects for its time were well done even with the "brain" seemed like clay or animation it was well done, fans of these movies will enjoy it. 7 out of 10.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg maxresdefault.jpg (104.5 KB, 5 views)
Old 11th February 2019, 11:15 AM
Cult King
Senior Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrBarlow View Post
Fiend Without A Face 1958.

A scientist using telekinesis powers enhanced by nuclear power plant creates a new life form and it escapes killing people but nobody knows what it looks like or where it will strike next.

This was quite enjoyable Sci-Fi horror flick from the 50s, the title can make the film sound stupid don't let that put you off, the acting was good, the special effects for its time were well done even with the "brain" seemed like clay or animation it was well done, fans of these movies will enjoy it. 7 out of 10.
I thought the flying brains were excellent.

One of my all time fave British sci-fi films.
Dave Boy, nosferatu42 and MrBarlow like this.
Old 11th February 2019, 11:40 AM
Cult King
Senior Moderator

The Cremator (1969)

I'm sure this piece of Czech Gothic has many fans but i just couldn't get into it. I didn't like the lead character, i couldn't sympathize nor did i find him particularly interesting i just felt he was an annoying, sleazy Nazi wannabe.

The director has a lot of plaudits for his surreal style but if endless zoom shots of faces is style then what does that make Jess Franco with his endless zooms of Lina Romay's....

Sorry, this one wasn't for me at all. I much preferred Witchhammer (1970) as a piece of Czech film making.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg CrematorHerz.jpg (83.6 KB, 3 views)
Old 11th February 2019, 11:48 AM
Cult Veteran

Made in Britain (1982)

Never seen this before, holy crap Tim Roth was good!! After watching this, last week's viewing of the Austrian 'The Inheritors' seems a lot more fluffy! Violent, confrontational, angry, scary! That one scene in the locked room with the superintendent was a tour-de-force in acting.

Electric Boogaloo: The Wild, Untold Story of Cannon Films (2014)

You can't help but get caught up with the fun and excitement in this movie. Lest we forget that most of the films are not very good, but damn were they entertaining! I still NEED to watch 'The Apple'

Sorority Row (2009)

Allegedly a remake of The House on Sorority Row but the story is only vaguely similar. In this version, 6 hot girls play a prank on the brother of one of them who cheated on his sorority girlfriend, the prank goes fatally wrong and the girls (and boy) need to cover their tracks and get on with their lives. Flash-forward to the end of the school year and all the girls get a text message from the dead girl...

Some great set-piece kills and pretty gory effects follow for the next 60 minutes or so until a convoluted 'solution' to the mystery is presented which ruined the fun a bit, but still, I enjoyed this one, worth a go!

Breakin' (1984)

Thank you Cannon (see above)!
Hah, how awesome is this film, the story is crap, the acting is crap, the person recording the sound was a bit crap, BUT, how fun is this film First time viewing for me but I loved it, great dance scenes, great old-school electro soundtrack, Ice-T MCing in the club! WTF was that ending though (spoiler) no-way Ozone and Turbo would star in a Theatre (capital T) production called Jazz Street NO... WAY...

Triumphant sight on a northern sky

Old 11th February 2019, 03:23 PM
Seasoned Cultist

The asphyx.

An obssesive scientist Hugo(Robert stephens) takes pictures of dead bodies and discovers the secret of immortlity is to trap a spirit called a asphyx that appears at the moment of someones death.
A very original horror film indeed that is quite fascinating and creepy and morbid, with good period settings in the Hammer film style.
And extremely well acted too by stephens in the lead role, and co-stars Robert Powell as the son in law and Jane laportaire as Hugo's daughter who has a bad experince with a guillotine.

a classy and intelligent film that is a good watch indeed, with great special effects for the time with a creepy looking asphyx. 80 out of 100.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 2.jpg (58.4 KB, 4 views)
Old 11th February 2019, 07:32 PM
Cult Veteran
Good Trader

Remember watching this as a kid one Friday night admit scared the carp out of me, but now I can't see why as it's all very tame and easy to see it's a tv movie but it's enjoyable with some good scenes, even if the acting is a!l over the place. Really another rip off of jaws that followed in its wake, swap the beach of Amity for Colorado ski lodge and a shark for the abominable snowman. 6/10

Now watching twice dead, will probably follow it up with the evil.

Last edited by trebor8273; 11th February 2019 at 07:44 PM.
Old 11th February 2019, 07:39 PM
Cult King
Senior Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by trebor8273 View Post

Remember watching this as a kid one Friday night admit scared the carp out of me, but now I can't see why as it's all very game and easy to see it's a tv movie but it's enjoyable with some good scenes, even if the acting is a!l over the place. Really another rip off of jaws that followed in its wake, swap the beach of Amity for Colorado ski lodge and a shark for the abominable snowman. 6/10

Now watching twice dead, will probably follow it up with the evil.
I really like Snowbeast. The first time i saw it was on tv too. It was on ITV one Saturday night.

I don't think there's anything wrong with the acting to be honest. In fact it has a good cast in Yvette Mimieux and Bo Hopkins and co-stars Clint Walker and Sylvia Sidney have been in loads of things (hundreds in Sidney's case) from Beetlejuice to Hitchcock's Sabotage in the thirties.

Like this? Share it using the links below!