Go Back   Cult Labs > Film Discussions > General Film Discussions
All AlbumsBlogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Like Tree179610Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 9th March 2019, 07:16 PM
Cult Veteran
Good Trader

Count Yorga, Vampire 1970.

A couple invite a count to perform a seance not realising he is a Vampire.

Film starts off like Dracula, a count leaving his home for a new start, a coffin being taken from a boat and delivered to a new residence. It's set in modern day time in 60s. Robert Quarry plays the count very well and tends to be a bit creepy. It does has some good memorable moments and shot brilliantly even on a low budget. From start to finish it was enjoyable. 8 out of 10.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg NS3NxPosrD4.movieposter.jpg (24.4 KB, 6 views)

Last edited by MrBarlow; 10th March 2019 at 02:19 PM.
Old 9th March 2019, 09:01 PM
Cultist on the Rampage

Maniac Cop 2

I watched this for the first time time other day. Great movie. Real decent B-thriller, what with them mixing the Maniac Cop with a kind of real life Son of Sam type serial killer.

One quick Q though...I see that Robert Z’Dar was named in the credits and all that, and he does appear as Matt Cordell at the very beginning of the movie and during the flashback scenes, but was it *really* Bobby Z’Darsky who played Cordell throughout the film?? To me the actor seemed a lot smaller in stature than what he appeared in the first movie. Also, why would they change his appearance so much with the prosthetics or mask or whatever?? Surely that was a different actor! A quick Google doesn’t turn up any other Maniac Cop conspiracy theorists, and Z’Dar is credited on Wikipedia too.

Anyone else think the same??

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Old 9th March 2019, 09:25 PM
Cultist on the Rampage

Re watching The Maltese Falcon for about the 10th time after first watching it last year, it has become a firm favourite of mine, sublime, easily watchable, fast paced, THE film noir by which all others should be judged.

10/10

So glad I got the Premium blu when I did as lets face it, hmv are in quicksand despite the save.
Old 9th March 2019, 09:49 PM
Cult Veteran
Good Trader

A great Hammer film, in no small part too the lovely Collinson twins. Here Cushing plays Gustav Weil a witchfinder general type character who believing there is evil about sets about burning any young girls he sees. There is a true evil in the area the local count, who is a devil worshipper and vampire but him and his men are too cowardly to do anything . The counts interests soon then turn to Gustav young niece's. 8/10

Watched it again and just as brilliant as the other times I've seen it. My favourite film of 2018. Screw the critics!

Now watching mutant (1984)

Last edited by trebor8273; 9th March 2019 at 10:29 PM.
Old 9th March 2019, 10:25 PM
Cult King
Cult Labs Radio Contributor
Senior Moderator

The Great Wall (2016)

Decent popcorn munching blockbuster. The 100 min running time meant it never dragged but the downside was there wasn't much in the way of characterization other than for Matt Damon and Pedro Pascal's mercenary's.

In a way this impacted on the film as a whole because i never fully invested in the other characters and was basically waiting for the next action set piece and it never really got better than the first assault on the Great Wall. The film looked terrific throughout with innovative action sequences (The use of Chinese lanterns in the finale was class) worthy of director Zhang Yimou's classic Chinese films Hero and House of Flying Daggers as were drumming sequences when soldiers were called to arms.

This isn't to say i didn't enjoy the film. I did, but it's no classic. Interestingly it was co-written by The Last Samurai's director and writer Edward Zwick. Whilst The Great Wall has similarities with that film - Westerner integrates into Asian society to combat outside threat - it's nowhere near as good.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 51LmVMKTu7L.jpg (50.3 KB, 5 views)
Old 10th March 2019, 07:55 AM
Cult Addict

Bone Tomahawk
A sheriff , his deputy, a gunslinger and a distraught husband head off to find three people captured by a savage tribe.
A brutal western/horror, pretty brutal when it gets violent. A great film and one to check out for sure

Sent from my PRA-LX1 using Tapatalk
Old 10th March 2019, 12:07 PM
Cult Don
Good Trader
Senior Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrBarlow View Post
Count Tonga, Vampire 1970.

A couple invite a count to perform a seance not realising he is a Vampire.

Film starts off like Dracula, a count leaving his home for a new start, a coffin being taken from a boat and delivered to a new residence. It's set in modern day time in 60s. Robert Quarry plays the count very well and tends to be a bit creepy. It does has some good memorable moments and shot brilliantly even on a low budget. From start to finish it was enjoyable. 8 out of 10.
Tonga? Count Yorga, surely.
Old 10th March 2019, 02:11 PM
Cult Master

doomasylum.jpg

What happens when you drive too fast fool around with your lady drink and drive ? You crash and melt your face off obviously.

This is the opening of Doom Asylum and from there on its a non stop ride of bad acting great kills and what feels like the full 1930s version of Sweeny Todd

The female involved in the car crash dies while the male driver is left emotionally and physically scarred for life so he hides out in an abandoned asylum hiding his grotesque deformed face from the world until a group of teens assholes invade is sanctuary and force him into action.

Doom Asylum is short sweet and too the point kills are rapid which is perfect giving that all the characters as I mentioned already are assholes and irritating as hell. Giving the low budget of the film some of the kills look great the highlight is definitely the drill kill FAAAANNNTASTIC

I had an absolute blast with Doom Asylum entertaining from start to finish my only complaint was the amount of time they spent showing Sweeny Todd such a pointless way of padding out the run time.

7/10

A disappointing boob count of 1
Old 10th March 2019, 02:20 PM
Cult Veteran
Good Trader

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nosferatu@Cult Labs View Post
Tonga? Count Yorga, surely.
Bloody autocorrect strikes again
Old 10th March 2019, 06:39 PM
Cult Veteran
Good Trader

The Return of Count Yorga 1971.

Count Yorga has returned from the grave and purchased a mansion next to a orphanage and preys on the local community and intends to find a new bride.

The opening shot of this was a bit eerie and spooky which sets the film off brilliantly with a very dark gothic presence even in the mansion.

Robert Quarry returns as The Count, how he has returned after the first film is not really explained but the plot is cleverly written with some humour and can stray along a bit in some areas, Bill Butler did a good job with the cinematography in this film and creepy music score by Bill Mary. Decent worthy sequel to watch. 8 out of 10.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg download.jpg (15.6 KB, 4 views)

Like this? Share it using the links below!