Cult Labs

Go Back   Cult Labs > Film Discussions > General Film Discussions

Like Tree179031Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 18th March 2019, 10:47 PM
Cult Acolyte

Cruel Intentions. A wealthy pair of teenage step-siblings (Sarah Michelle Gellar and Ryan Phillippe) play manipulative sex games with each other and everyone around them. But when they set their sights on corrupting the virginal Annette (Reese Witherspoon), the unexpected happens when Phillippe genuinely falls for her - and their hermetically sealed world of casual callousness begins to implode around them. Entertaining late 90s melodrama with a great young cast. I appear to be having a bit of a late 90s renaissance at present!
Old 18th March 2019, 11:14 PM
Cult King
Cult Labs Radio Contributor
Senior Moderator

Dad's Army (2016)

A good cast in an amiable comedy that's fairly faithful to the classic tv show.

I didn't roar with laughter but found myself smiling throughout. I enjoyed it first time round and the second was just as good. Dad's Army is the cinematic definition of lazy Sunday afternoon viewing.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg dads_army_1.jpg (78.2 KB, 7 views)
Old 19th March 2019, 12:43 AM
Cult Veteran
Good Trader

Body Melt (1993, Philip Brophy)

Still as grotty as ever twas. Various Neighbours flit about. There's something amiss in a new housing estate. Could the local health farm have a hand in it? Recommended.

Gator (1976, Burt Reynolds)

By gum he's hirsute . You can't help noticing. Bad stuff happenin' dawhn South. Send for Burt!! Jerry Reed channels Lenny the Lion as purveyor of badness . Lauren Hutton turns up to pout. Twas the 70s after all. A film of its time. Preferred White Lightning tbh ....

[B]
"... the days ahead will be filled with struggle ... and coated in marzipan ... "[/B]
Old 19th March 2019, 02:12 PM
Seasoned Cultist

Alone in The Dark.

A doctor( Dwight shultz, who played the crazy chap in the A Team) gets a job at a asylum run by Donald pleasence, who is just as mad as his patients. and finds himself and his family in danger when there is a blackout and 4 of the psychos escape and lay siege to his home.

an oddball slasher style film from the 80's, mixing suspense, horror, and a bit of comedy too. with a fantastic cast including Jack palance and martin Landau playing OTT lunatics, especially Landau as a religious nut who enjoys burning down churches.

Definitely worth a watch, even if it does taper off a bit during the later scenes, and features one of the worst punk bands ever, The Sic Fu*ks. So bad that cutting off your ears and posting them to the moon would be preferable. but the all star cast keeps it well above average. 73 out of 100.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg aloneinthedark1982.jpg (83.0 KB, 9 views)
Old 19th March 2019, 02:55 PM
Cult King
Senior Moderator

Savaged (2013)

Savaged pretty much sums up this grim and gritty exploitative horror film.

The plot about a girl attacked, raped and then murdered by a racist gang who is then brought back to life when the spirit of an Apache chief seeking vengeance enters her body, is a well worn one but Savaged lives up to it's title with some brutal violence.

One sequence as the girl escapes from barbed wire wrist restraints had me wincing in anguish i have to admit. As well as gut wrenching SFX the film is well acted and the whole thing belies it's low budget.

Think I Spit on Your Grave combined with Scalps and you've got Savaged.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg savaged.jpg (37.1 KB, 6 views)
Old 19th March 2019, 10:35 PM
Moderator Alumni
Good Trader

Last week's viewings:

Night School (1981)

Reminiscent of a giallo in it's aesthetic in many ways, Night School is a who-dunnit cum slasher as co-eds are being found decapitated at the hands (and blade) of a mysterious black-clad biker.

Good kill-y fun.

71/100

Body Snatchers (1993)

Ferrara's take on the infamous tale, and whilst not quite as good as either the '56 or the '78 versions I really like the claustrophobic dread that this one exhibits with it being confined to the military base for the bulk of the run-time.

79/100

The Hidden (1987)

This one has it all - an asshole Ferrari loving alien bug inhabiting and using human bodies, car chases, shoot-outs, strip clubs, Kyle MacLachlan's first dangerous step towards being typecast forever as an FBI agent, and a flamethrower.

One of my favourite fun, feel-good '80s films.

82/100

The Editor (2014)

Stylish, glossy giallo-inspired comedy that hit a lot of the right targets for me. Parodies / homages can often feel a little clunky or heavy-handed, but this for the most part was very good.

73/100

The Legacy (1978)

Sam Elliott and Katharine Ross star as architects brought to a secluded estate by an eccentric millionaire after a road accident. They and other guests become trapped, leading to a series of grisly deaths with supernatural undertones.

Whilst stretching the seams of the story at times, this is a pretty entertaining and mysterious little chiller with a decent ensemble cast.

71/100

The Dark Crystal (1982)

A nostalgia trip back to my childhood when I used to watch this all the time with my brother. A little of the charm is lost with age (mine, not the film's), but this was an enjoyable slice of Saturday afternoon entertainment.

71/100

Labyrinth (1986)

Another childhood fave, but one whose charm hasn't been diminished on me over time. Perfect lazy Sunday afternoon entertainment.

89/100

Last edited by bizarre_eye@Cult Labs; 20th March 2019 at 07:37 AM.
Old 19th March 2019, 10:40 PM
Cult King
Senior Moderator

Some fine viewings, b_e.

The swimming pool scene from The Legacy has stayed with me since the very first time i saw it. Don't know why, just one of those memorable things.
Old 19th March 2019, 10:41 PM
Cult Acolyte

Quote:
Originally Posted by Demdike@Cult Labs View Post
Some fine viewings, b_e.

The swimming pool scene from The Legacy has stayed with me since the very first time i saw it. Don't know why, just one of those memorable things.
I remembered that scene from seeing it as a kid and it took me decades to find out what film it was from!
Old 19th March 2019, 10:57 PM
Cult King
Senior Moderator

Their Finest (2016)

A re-watch of this terrific war time set film.

What Films Have You Seen Recently?

Highly recommended.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg their-finest-poster.jpg (97.3 KB, 6 views)
Old 20th March 2019, 06:31 PM
Cult King
Senior Moderator

Lost After Dark (2015)

Should be called lost in the dark as it's all so damn murky.

Playing like a homage to 80's slasher films, Lost After Dark has it's heart in the right place but is clumsy in it's execution. For a start the teens are largely faceless individuals, characterization is practically none existent even though we are stuck with these people for 40 minutes before anything remotely interesting happens on screen.

However if blood and guts is what you hanker for then the final twenty minutes delivers in spades and the final reel is full of nods to several of the Halloween franchise.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg lost-after-dark-dvd-artwork.jpg (91.3 KB, 6 views)

Like this? Share it using the links below!