All AlbumsBlogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Like Tree179484Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 20th March 2019, 05:42 PM
Cult King
Cult Labs Radio Contributor
Senior Moderator

The Masque of the Red Death (1964)

Vincent Price, decadence, death and deceit, luscious visuals, Hazel Court and a deal with the devil, costume balls, virulent plague...

...One of the best in Roger Corman's Poe cycle. (I'm sure i say that about all of them).

I really need to write a proper review for this.
Old 20th March 2019, 06:13 PM
Cult Veteran
Good Trader

The Baby 1973.

A social worker recovering from the death of her husband takes on a case of a eccentric family of the mother, two sisters and son who has the mind of a child and treated like a baby.

Only the 70s can make a weird film like this that will keep your eyes on the screen In shock right to the oh f@#k ending.

This was more psychological thriller than horror, as they film starts off good then it becomes darker and twisted, with a bit of family Incest and the mother played brilliantly by Ruth Roman who rules the house with a iron fist. Anjanette Comer plays the social worker Ann who sees that the household isn't right but may have get own agenda for staying on the case. Worth a watch 8 of 10.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg maxresdefault.jpg (85.8 KB, 5 views)

Last edited by MrBarlow; 21st March 2019 at 02:34 PM.
Old 21st March 2019, 02:06 PM
Cultist

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrBarlow View Post
The Baby 1973.

A social worker recovering from the death of her husband takes on a case of a eccentric family of the mother, two sisters and son who has the mind of a child and treated like a baby.

Only the 70s can make a weird film like this that will keep your eyes on the screen In shock right to the oh f@#k ending.

This was more psychological thriller than horror, as they film starts off good then it becomes darker and twisted, with a bit of family Incest and the mother played brilliantly by Ruth Roman who rules the house with a iron fish. Anjanette Comer plays the social worker Ann who sees that the household isn't right but may have get own agenda for staying on the case. Worth a watch 8 of 10.
I'm intrigued
Old 21st March 2019, 02:33 PM
Cult Veteran
Good Trader

Quote:
Originally Posted by zeroid View Post
I'm intrigued
Fooking auto correct
Demoncrat, keirarts and troggi like this.
Old 21st March 2019, 04:09 PM
Cult King
Senior Moderator

Black Sabbath (1963)

Black Sabbath is a trilogy of Mario Bava directed standalone tales. It's standout is second story The Wurdulak, a chilling tale of vampirism, which i think features some of Bava's finest film making. Filmed in all its Gothic beauty, it shows us what Black Sunday might have looked like if Bava had used colour film.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg black-sabbath-1963.jpg (73.1 KB, 6 views)
Old 21st March 2019, 06:33 PM
Cultist

I saw Bava's 'Black Sabbath' at an allnighter at the Scala Cinema in the early nineties, I slept through "Night of the Bloody Apes" (I think), so that I would be refreshed and able to watch it properly - good call I reckon.
A good mix of styles, psychological/supernatural/suspense with Bava's assured style of lighting etc. On balance I think I like "the Drop of Water" segment the best.
Old 21st March 2019, 06:55 PM
Cult Veteran
Good Trader

Black Sunday ... rewatch methinks ....

A Hard Day's Night (1964, Richard Lester)

Highly excited about the imminent release of a certain short wot he did ... I celebrated by watching ... the first thing of his I could lay me claws on. La.
See! Paul refer to schoolkids as 'talent' ... an admonishment to be more 'right wing' by a style guru ... and some songs that may be familiar . To be fair I prefer the technicolour mania of Help! ... this always reminded me of Cathy Come Home tbh .

[B]
"... the days ahead will be filled with struggle ... and coated in marzipan ... "[/B]
Old 21st March 2019, 07:55 PM
Cultist on the Rampage

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrBarlow View Post
The Baby 1973.

This was more psychological thriller than horror, as they film starts off good then it becomes darker and twisted, with a bit of family Incest and the mother played brilliantly by Ruth Roman who rules the house with a iron fist. Anjanette Comer plays the social worker Ann who sees that the household isn't right but may have get own agenda for staying on the case. Worth a watch 8 of 10.
Quote:
Originally Posted by zeroid View Post
I'm intrigued
I, too, am intrigued. I must've missed this one because it's slightly before my time, I was 13 then and couldn't get in to an "X" certificate film until I was 15. I'll keep me eyes peeled f'r a copy!
Demoncrat and keirarts like this.

Monster Magnet
Old 21st March 2019, 08:32 PM
Cult Veteran
Good Trader

It's an oddity for sure t. Enjoy!!
Did turn up on Moviedrome I'm sure ????
keirarts likes this.

[B]
"... the days ahead will be filled with struggle ... and coated in marzipan ... "[/B]
Old 21st March 2019, 10:33 PM
Cult King
Senior Moderator

Allied (2016)

An enjoyable tale of spies during WWII. Brad Pitt and Marion Cotillard are decent enough in a film that dreams it had cast Bogart and Bergman instead yet they give fine performances, so much so that it even feels like a classic forties Hollywood offering.

Moroccan and London locations set it apart and Robert Zemeckis handles the brief action scenes well as tension and intrigue slowly build as revelations about Cotillard's past come to the fore.

I think second time around i enjoyed this even more.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Allied-Film-Poster.jpg (48.7 KB, 8 views)

Like this? Share it using the links below!