LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 22nd March 2019, 06:19 AM
Cult Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by Demoncrat View Post
It's an oddity for sure t. Enjoy!!
Did turn up on Moviedrome I'm sure ????
Not sure about Moviedrome, but it has certainly been screened on television

I saw it sometime in the 80's I think, as part of a double bill on one of the BBC channels
Demoncrat, keirarts and troggi like this.

Golly, Gee! it's wrong to be so guilty
Old 22nd March 2019, 11:21 AM
Cultist on the Rampage

"Whiskey Galore" 1949
I haven't seen this in donkey's years and it cropped up on Beeb 2 yesterday afternoon. I still love it! A genteel rib-tickler which elicits more smiles than laughs and deserves a place on my list of favourites.
A friendly 17/10.

Monster Magnet
Old 22nd March 2019, 02:06 PM
Cult Acolyte

jungle-girl-68bb93ec15c00e1eb31d95374a858ffb.jpg
JUNGLE GIRL (1941)
REPUBLIC SERIAL 15 Chapters.

Nyoka the 'Jungle Girl' was created by Edgar Rice Burroughs.
Nyoka and friends attempt to stop a gang of crooks stealing diamonds from the mines. Nyoka wants to use the diamonds to help fund medicine for the tribes..
Top notch serial with some really good cliffhanger endings here including moving floors, flooded tunnels, traps and explosions.
There is a scene where tunnels get flooded and the heroes have to escape the water which blasts out of the cliff face. The scene for sure was copied for INDIANA JONES AND THE TEMPLE OF DOOM.
Recommended.

sr66_junglegirl.jpg
Old 22nd March 2019, 02:51 PM
Seasoned Cultist

Shoot first Die Later.

A milan lieutenant(Luc merenda) is famous for his no nonsence approah to bringing down the bad guys. but has a dark side that he is on take from the local mafia and ends up in hot water when he finally crosses them.

a well made crime thriller from fernando de leo, with a good plot and and plenty of action, including a couple of superb car chases and some brutal violence. although animal lovers will be rather shocked at the demise of a unfortunate cat.
Luc merenda gives an excellent performance as well as the cop gone bad, and acting from the supporting cast is good as well.
well worth a watch indeed 75 out of 100.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 16740.large.jpg (89.1 KB, 6 views)
Old 22nd March 2019, 03:21 PM
Cult King
Cult Labs Radio Contributor
Senior Moderator

The Void (2016)

Shortly after delivering a patient to an understaffed hospital, a police officer experiences strange and violent occurrences seemingly linked to a group of mysterious hooded figures.

Imagine if you will John Carpenter's Prince of Darkness combined with Hellraiser II. It sounds fascinating in a way HP Lovecraft would approve. Unfortunately The Void's promise doesn't come to fruition and what we actually see on screen is a real mixed bag of ideas chucked into the mix. The film sports a few cleverly produced practical effects which kept me watching and indeed hoping for something better but the paper thin characters lacking any sort of interesting story together with a complete dearth of tension meant at times i became almost bored.

However i did get more out of it second time around. It's clear hype needs to be ignored when it comes to watching films for a first time.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 66c25b33905c8cc98762d07f5480e003851720bd_hq.jpg (100.4 KB, 6 views)
Old 22nd March 2019, 03:43 PM
Cult Acolyte

MIRRORS

I watched the remake of INTO THE MIRROR starring Keither Sutherland and I enjoyed it until the end *spoilers later in the write up*

Keither plays an ex army bloke who has been given a night shift security job in a burned up building and within the night he see's weird things in the mirrors and screams. Naturally he tells people and they don't believe him until weird shit starts happening to them (I was like oh now you believe him). It then turns into a detective thriller type film of trying to figure out the mystery

The special effects are quite inventive and the odd gore scene was good (Amy Smart in the bath was one). The ending however ruined it for me *Spoilers inbound* - when the nun turned into a demon child thing it turned into Jack Bauer vs The Demon and considering that scene was about 10 mins long it felt like forever. Then the twist happens at the end and it make no sense. I had to read it up on Wiki.

Other than that I enjoyed the 1st half but it got stupid.
Old 22nd March 2019, 11:47 PM
Cult King
Cult Labs Radio Contributor
Senior Moderator

Rampage (2018)

Ridiculous action movie involving a giant Gorilla, a giant wolf and a giant crocodile, not to mention Dwayne Johnson (Not a giant i might add, at least no more than usual anyway).

How do you actually review something as dumb as this? It's virtually impossible. You either go with the flow and have a rollicking good time or don't bother at all. If lines like "Of course, the wolf can fly" don't make you laugh then there's a good chance Rampage might not be for you.

Naturally the star of the show is Johnson but he's run close by the CGI Albino gorilla and a fun performance from Jeffrey Dean Morgan who clearly knows what kind of film he's in. The kind where giant gorillas, croc's and wolves trash Chicago,

Enjoy!
Attached Images
File Type: jpg a10be8ab594c50c8c18a72dee1861e79_500x735.jpg (85.9 KB, 5 views)
Old 23rd March 2019, 12:43 AM
Cult Veteran
Good Trader

He sure loves that monkey

Dragged Across Concrete (2018, S. Craig Zahler)

Money can't buy me love apparently. But it can drive people to do just about anything it seems ...
2 cops find themselves at a loose end. Driven by personal demons to an act of escalating dimensions. Confused? You won't be .... you saw the last 2 he did? Strap in ....

[B]
"... the days ahead will be filled with struggle ... and coated in marzipan ... "[/B]
Old 23rd March 2019, 01:15 AM
Cultist on the Rampage

Quote:
Originally Posted by Demdike@Cult Labs View Post
Rampage (2018)

Ridiculous action movie involving a giant Gorilla, a giant wolf and a giant crocodile, not to mention Dwayne Johnson (Not a giant i might add, at least no more than usual anyway).

How do you actually review something as dumb as this? It's virtually impossible. You either go with the flow and have a rollicking good time or don't bother at all. If lines like "Of course, the wolf can fly" don't make you laugh then there's a good chance Rampage might not be for you.

Naturally the star of the show is Johnson but he's run close by the CGI Albino gorilla and a fun performance from Jeffrey Dean Morgan who clearly knows what kind of film he's in. The kind where giant gorillas, croc's and wolves trash Chicago,

Enjoy!
Can anyone give me the definitive answer... is Johnson's head getting smaller or are his shoulders getting bigger?
keirarts and Dave Boy like this.

Monster Magnet
Old 23rd March 2019, 11:29 AM
Cult Acolyte

da43f97ad72c1bcd65f8ed2d59810bfd.jpg
SUPERMAN (1948)
COLUMBIA SERIAL. 15 Chapters.

The serial starts off with Superman's origins. The arguments between Jor-El and the Krypton council and him sending his son to Earth before Krypton explodes.
Taken in by the Kent family and then moving off to Metropolis to work for The Daily Planet newspaper under the guise of Clark Kent.
Now Superman must try and stop the Spider Lady and her quest for the Reducer Ray, a destructive device. The Spider Lady has also come across some Kryptonite which she uses to make Superman helpless..

Enjoyable cliffhanger serial.
Clark is constantly butting heads with Lois Lane in the quest for a news story, and I lost count how many times Jimmy Olson got knocked out.
The Superman flying sequences are animated and do look rather cartoonish and out of place. If REPUBLIC had done this serial they would have used the flying dummy effects which looked great in the Captain Marvel and King Of The Rocketmen serials.
Clark uses store rooms, alleyways, rocks and bushes to change in to Superman and there is always a lot of fisticuffs with the Spider Lady's goons.

kirkalynsupermanjpg.jpg.size-custom-crop.1086x0.jpg

Like this? Share it using the links below!