Cult Labs

Go Back   Cult Labs > Film Discussions > General Film Discussions

Like Tree179020Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 28th March 2019, 12:02 AM
Cultist on the Rampage

Gone on a bit of a Musical bent!
The Greatest Showman - I thought this was great and loved the soundtrack.
Evita - Less than perfect but I liked it.
Jesus Christ Superstar - First time seeing it all the way through again a thumbs up!
Across the Universe - I Liked it but it took me a while to get used to someone else singing those classic Beatle tracks.
The Jazz Singer (1980) Great soundtrack (I have a soft spot for this one)
Old 28th March 2019, 01:50 AM
Cult Veteran
Good Trader

Eve Of Destruction 1991.

American Government build a new type of robot designed for the military, Eve VIII, on a test run it malfunctions and goes on a killing spree. The designer of the robot and a combat soldier go on the hunt and stop Eve.

This is a early 90s B Sci-fi movie, Gregory Hines plays the no nonsense colonel who seems to be kept in the dark by his superiors when the truth is out so is his demeanor. Renee Soutendijk plays both Eve's, one the designer who implanted some memories in her creation and Eve VIII a robot with no emotion, does show the actress in ways of playing two different roles in one movie. It's still entertaining to watch. 6-7 out of 10.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Eve+of+Destruction+-+Poster.jpg (98.6 KB, 4 views)
Old 28th March 2019, 08:34 AM
Cult Master
Cult Labs Radio Contributor

MV5BYzExYjY3ZjgtZWJlZi00ZGJhLWJhZTgtNDVmNjA3ZWEwZGVmXkEyXkFqcGdeQXVyMjgyOTI1ODY@._V1_.jpg

In the post apocalyptic future of 1999 Street gangs run the cities hold on a minute 1999 what the .........

There are zones that not even the cops will enter Zones that you would be lucky to get out of with your life. In oder to try and control the gangs a private corporation that deals in robotics has been hired to control the schools education is the key to the gang problem and of the gangs don't attend class they get thrown into prison. Three new teachers have been brought into run the school but these are no normal teachers this are android warmachines who have been cross programed with and with education droids. What could possible go wrong.

This is pure entertainment right here start to finish it's a real fun ride. The main actor is just Cory Feldman it's crazy of you look away from the screen you would think it was him 100% talking. Some fantastic kills and plenty of action there is no real down time or filler it just gets to the point and moves are a solid pace. The kills look great nothing looked cheap until one of the teachers sheds it's skin but it's only for a brief moment. Of all the great kills and violence the spanking scene my favourite it was just hilarious and degrading for the students involved great stuff.

8/10

Fun Fun Fun
Old 28th March 2019, 10:31 AM
Cultist on the Rampage

Quote:
Originally Posted by JoshuaKaitlyn View Post
Gone on a bit of a Musical bent!
The Greatest Showman - I thought this was great and loved the soundtrack.
Evita - Less than perfect but I liked it.
Jesus Christ Superstar - First time seeing it all the way through again a thumbs up!
Across the Universe - I Liked it but it took me a while to get used to someone else singing those classic Beatle tracks.
The Jazz Singer (1980) Great soundtrack (I have a soft spot for this one)
Grimpen Mire... that's a nice soft spot.
keirarts likes this.

Monster Magnet
Old 28th March 2019, 06:55 PM
Cult Veteran
Good Trader

The Pope Must Die

Amusing if gentle satire. Easily the quietest Comic Strip film imho .
Robbie Coltrane plays a earnest priest who is mistakenly elected Pope. Cue shenanigans. Peter Richardson plays Lee Van Cleef as always ...

[B]
"... the days ahead will be filled with struggle ... and coated in marzipan ... "[/B]
Old 28th March 2019, 11:48 PM
Cult King
Senior Moderator

Withnail and I (1987)

A glorious rites of passage tale about two out of luck (and booze) actors who decamp from London to a dilapidated cottage in the Lake District where they struggle to survive the weather, a local poacher, a rather randy bull and Withnail's lecherous Uncle Monty.

The film opens in a way that's almost there to put off the viewer, to turn them away - a flat festering with rodents, empty bottles and dirty underwear - deliberately seedy in fact with humour that is brutal yet also extremely clever and hard to forget before it settles down into a wonderful character study with eminently quotable dialogue, superb secondary characters (Ralph Brown and his self invented Camberwell Carrot is a film stealer never mind scene stealer), brilliant score, and come the end a touch of melancholy as the hedonistic sixties basically come to an end.

As well as the superb Richard E Grant (Withnail) and Paul McGann (I), credit definitely where it's due to writer / director Bruce Robinson who based the film on his own exploits in sixties Camden Town.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 51hT0rl-NfL.jpg (34.5 KB, 6 views)

Last edited by Demdike@Cult Labs; 29th March 2019 at 12:04 AM.
Old 29th March 2019, 12:02 AM
Cult King
Senior Moderator

Charlotte Gray (2001)

A film about a Scots woman parachuted into Vichy governed France during WWII which is so po-faced in it's determination to be worthy that it forgets to be entertaining. Even Cate Blanchett can't save this film.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 12QUAD-Charlotte-Gray-Posters.jpg (86.5 KB, 5 views)
Old 29th March 2019, 12:15 AM
Cultist on the Rampage

Quote:
Originally Posted by Demdike@Cult Labs View Post
Withnail and I (1987)

A glorious rites of passage tale about two out of luck (and booze) actors who decamp from London to a dilapidated cottage in the Lake District where they struggle to survive the weather, a local poacher, a rather randy bull and Withnail's lecherous Uncle Monty.

The film opens in a way that's almost there to put off the viewer, to turn them away - a flat festering with rodents, empty bottles and dirty underwear - deliberately seedy in fact with humour that is brutal yet also extremely clever and hard to forget before it settles down into a wonderful character study with eminently quotable dialogue, superb secondary characters (Ralph Brown and his self invented Camberwell Carrot is a film stealer never mind scene stealer), brilliant score, and come the end a touch of melancholy as the hedonistic sixties basically come to an end.

As well as the superb Richard E Grant (Withnail) and Paul McGann (I), credit definitely where it's due to writer / director Bruce Robinson who based the film on his own exploits in sixties Camden Town.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Demdike@Cult Labs View Post
Charlotte Gray (2001)

A film about a Scots woman parachuted into Vichy governed France during WWII which is so po-faced in it's determination to be worthy that it forgets to be entertaining. Even Cate Blanchett can't save this film.
I have always liked your reviews, Dems, they're always quite pithy and very pertinent.

Monster Magnet
Old 29th March 2019, 12:19 AM
Cult King
Senior Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by troggi View Post
I have always liked your reviews, Dems, they're always quite pithy and very pertinent.
Why, thank you.
keirarts and troggi like this.
Old 29th March 2019, 03:25 PM
Seasoned Cultist

The Virgin of Nuremberg.

A chap called Max Hunter(George Riviere) and his wife mary(Rossana Podesta) go to stay at his ancestral castle with has a medieval torture chamber. and when he his away on business she is confronted by a hooded maniac called the punisher who is killing people including a girl in a iron maiden. but her husband wont believe her and says she is imaging it all.

This is another great gothic horror from Antonio Margherita. and dripping in style and atmosphere with the usual spooky passageways and cobwebs.
actress Rossana podesta spends most of her time wandering about the castle in her nightgown and with a candleabra. and very fetching she looks as well.
and the great Christopher Lee also co-stars too in a small role as the creepy manservant Erich, who has a scarred face. but it is just a shame that he has been dubbed.

good entertainment. and with a couple of great shocks including a girl having her nose bitten off graphically by a rat in a clever torture device. 74 out of 100.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg maxresdefault.jpg (51.6 KB, 6 views)

Like this? Share it using the links below!