Cult Labs

Go Back   Cult Labs > Film Discussions > General Film Discussions
All AlbumsBlogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Like Tree179515Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 16th April 2019, 09:15 PM
Cult Acolyte

The Boogens. A mining company blasts open an old mine left disused and sealed up for decades after a deadly cave-in, only to let out something that was best left buried... This rather obscure early 80s horror flick turned out to be much better than I was expecting. The only cast member I recognised was Rebecca Balding (who played Carol in Soap) but all the actors were solid and engaging and the characters likeable, it was well made with a nice winter/snowy setting, which always adds to atmosphere, and while a slow burn it kept me interested through to an exciting ending. The monsters are wisely kept off-screen till the end, being a bit silly looking, but ferocious enough to be a threat and the deaths actually have impact because you actually like the characters. I rather liked this!
Old 16th April 2019, 09:41 PM
Cult Veteran
Good Trader

Jason and The Argonauts 1963.

Greek hero Jason leads a band of men in search of the legendary golden fleece.

A decent 1960s film that is still great to watch, plenty of stop motion scenes with the skeleton battle that made me laugh when i watched this as a child. Todd Armstrong takes on the lead role as Jason who leads the men to Colchis and joined by Hercules played by Nigel Green and a small appearance by Patrick Troughton. Wilkie Cooper done a brilliant job with the cinematography and directed well by Don Chaffey and Ray Harryhausen done well with the visual effects. still worth watching.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg main.jpg (9.6 KB, 3 views)
Old 16th April 2019, 10:32 PM
Cult King
Cult Labs Radio Contributor
Senior Moderator

Les Diaboliques (1955)

The wife and mistress of a sadistic school headmaster plot to kill him. The murder goes swimmingly until it turns out the body has disappeared.

A film brimming with invention and tricks and an oppressive atmosphere, Les Diaboliques has spawned many imitations and it's easy to see why.

It's a mean and moody piece with a pervading Gothic gloom throughout and everything from the women protagonists to the school in which the film is set has a graveyard stench of neglect. Hitchcockian in style with twists galore and a finale that is truly diabolical (cough) climaxing in a final shot that suggests more was to come.

This was a first time viewing for me. It won't be the last!
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 81gwR1cUHPL._RI_.jpg (101.9 KB, 2 views)
Old 17th April 2019, 06:29 AM
Cult Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by Demdike@Cult Labs View Post
Les Diaboliques (1955)
An absolute classic film, and one of the best chillers ever made

Quote:
It's a mean and moody piece with a pervading Gothic gloom throughout and everything from the women protagonists to the school in which the film is set has a graveyard stench of neglect. Hitchcockian in style with twists galore and a finale that is truly diabolical (cough) climaxing in a final shot that suggests more was to come
Hitch tried to get the film rights to the book 'She Who Was No More' by Pierre Boileau and Thomas Narcejac, which this film was based on, but he lost out to Henri-Georges Clouzot, who directed it instead

Thwarted, Hitch went after a little know, pulp fiction story by Robert Bloch instead...

I've always wondered what would have happened if he had been able to make 'Les Diaboliques' instead of 'Psycho', although I cannot see him bettering this masterpiece

Golly, Gee! it's wrong to be so guilty
Old 17th April 2019, 06:31 AM
Moderator Alumni
Cult Labs Radio Contributor
Good Trader

Quote:
Les Diaboliques (1955)
One of my all time faves, Dem. Glad you enjoyed it.
Old 17th April 2019, 11:00 AM
Seasoned Cultist

'Ring', from the Arrow set. Only my second viewing and even better than I remembered. Looking forward the other two, which I haven't seen before.
Any chance of Arrow getting their hands on the Ju-On films??
Old 17th April 2019, 11:24 AM
Cultist on the Rampage

I wish Arrow would release the original The Eye by the Pang brothers. That's a great film. I think there were also a couple of sequels but I've never seen them (so I have no idea if they were any good or not).
Old 17th April 2019, 03:39 PM
Seasoned Cultist

A Man Called Blade(1977)

Blade(maurizio Merli) is a hatchet throwing bounty hunter who is on a quest for vengeance involving the town's mayor and mine owner. and makes an enemy of a chap called Voller(john steiner from Tenebrae. but still finds time to fall for a sexy can can dancer.

the ever versatile Sergio martino directs this one and once again proves that he is a talented director who can comfortably move from genre to genre.
in some ways it reminded me a bit of Keoma starring franco nero and even shares a similar horrible soundtrack with terrible singing.

but the action and cinematography is top notch with graphic hatchet deaths and shootouts. and well acted by action star Maurizio merli who does a good Franco Nero impression.

definately won't get an uncut release in the Uk though if it ever gets put out on bluray as it contains several nasty horse trips.

But a solid film for a western that i give 69 out of 100. would have given it 70 if it wasn't for the irritating singing.
Old 17th April 2019, 07:37 PM
Cult Veteran
Good Trader

Clash Of The Titans 1981.

Perseus, the son of Zeus wins the hand of Princess Andromeda, with trouble from her former lover Calibos and his mother Thetis and Andromeda to be sacrificed, Perseus goes in search of Medusa.

This movie is imaginative and entertaining with the stop motion effects, the monsters are excellently created with The Kraken and Medusa. The acting by Harry Hamlin seems a bit wooden in some scenes, Laurence Olivier plays Zeus perfectly but doesn't seem to get a lot of screen time, Burgess Meredith tags along as Ammon, Maggie Smith stars as Thetis and Ursula Andress showing some nice neck and shoulder Aphrodite. 8 out of 10.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Clash-of-the-titans.jpg (38.6 KB, 3 views)
Old 17th April 2019, 10:30 PM
Cultist on the Rampage

Just watched Death Note (adam wingard/netflix) and holy crap was that inept! Loved the manga/anime, not so keen on the previous live action films but this was just tonally odd! Lol! Felt like it was a parody at times!

After that, did 40 mins of the suspiria remake.....going to bed now, will resume tomorrow.

Note to self: stop watching remakes!

Like this? Share it using the links below!