Cult Labs

Go Back   Cult Labs > Film Discussions > General Film Discussions

Like Tree179043Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 23rd April 2019, 08:59 PM
Cult Veteran
Good Trader

Mannequin
And this was successful?? A more sick and disturbing film I haven't seen since whenever. Truly Cannon fodder . The story pretends to be winsome and charming, be fooled not by musical numbers ... after all The Apple has musical numbers . Ahem. Kim Cattrall double bill .....

Sex & The City 2
Sarah Jessica Parker has a massive boat doesn't she? Not quite Jack Taylor but still ....
If films narrated by a human null are your bag, sign right up. Not quite as appalling as I had hoped tbh. Until they go to ... foreign climes ... cough. Then we hit paydirt
Next.

[B]
"... the days ahead will be filled with struggle ... and coated in marzipan ... "[/B]
Old 24th April 2019, 09:02 AM
Cult Veteran
Good Trader

The Beast Must Die!
Amicus try and cash in on blaxploitation by casting Calvin Lockhart ... where say, Stewart Grainger might have been the choice before. A group of sorts congregate at a stately mansion. They all have the obligatory dirty little secrets etc. Will one guest regret their invitation?? I'm not sure as the murky print and endless day-for-night scenes began to bore me rigid. Lockhart's blouse being the standout ... and that says it all. Next!!!

[B]
"... the days ahead will be filled with struggle ... and coated in marzipan ... "[/B]
Old 24th April 2019, 01:32 PM
Seasoned Cultist

'The Domestics' - recent post apocalyptic nonsense. Less said the better.
Wife and I are watching the original 'The Twilight Zone'. Still on Season 1, loving it.
Old 24th April 2019, 02:09 PM
Active Cultist

The Tale of the Dean's Wife 1970- Pure trash with a capital T.
Some college kids want to blackmail the dean by having a orgy at his house while he's spiked on LSD.
I laughed all the way through its 1 hour running time. The acting was terrible, the story was nonsense, the "roughie" scenes are hilarious,i highly recommend it
Old 24th April 2019, 05:50 PM
Cult King
Cult Labs Radio Contributor
Senior Moderator

Carrie (2013)

More a remake of the De Palma film than a re-imagining of the Stephen King book, Kimberly Pierce's film contains all the stand out scenes you'll expect but some updated social media content and gore brings the film kicking and screaming into the 21st century.

Although it's not as captivating as the original, Chloe Grace Moretz as Carrie and Julianne Moore as her mother are both terrific, yet two things bothered me. The fact that Carrie gains control of her telekinetic powers and uses them to exact hell breaking loose at the school prom meaning the film lacks some of the shock value, and the fact that Grace Moretz is by far the prettiest girl at the prom which makes you wonder why she was chosen for the role.

On the whole, Carrie is a good film but it's De Palma homage kind of makes it redundant compared to a new back to basics King adaptation.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg b2894ab6d865da318a4541e7ed0c8f36.jpg (97.0 KB, 2 views)
Old 24th April 2019, 06:12 PM
Cult King
Senior Moderator

Monsters (2010)

Gareth Evans debut film is a bit of a masterpiece in making a five hundred thousand dollars budget seem like it's on the scale of the Marvel Cinematic Universe, convincing us that the Mexican / US border is a no go area patrolled by the military as towering squid like creatures stalk the earth.

A mix of road movie, romance and sci-fi is a bit unlikely yet Evans, along with great performances from Scoot McNairy and Whitney Able, who share good chemistry,has produced an affecting and suspenseful sci-fi character drama
Attached Images
File Type: jpg cee3bb076023bd60987c8d4da053336c.jpg (98.5 KB, 2 views)
Old 24th April 2019, 06:30 PM
Cult King
Senior Moderator

Stung (2015)

A posh garden party soon goes to shit when mutated killer wasps go on the rampage stinging the party goers to death or incubating them with more giant mutant killer wasps.

Anyone who likes giant mutant killer wasp flicks is going to love this German made, American set, monster mash. The wasps are lovingly created using gooey practical effects as well as the usual CGI and there's gore galore for exploitation lovers.

But, for a horror comedy it's not that scary nor indeed that funny, the two leads don't have much in the way of chemistry but Lance Henriksen as the local mayor brings a certain style to proceedings. However i think there are enough giant mutant killer wasps on show to overlook any faults and i recommend this to lovers of creature features.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Stung - Cover.jpg (101.5 KB, 3 views)
Old 24th April 2019, 07:32 PM
Cult Veteran
Good Trader

The Time Machine 1960.

A scientist invents a time travelling machine and uses it to glimpse at what the future will be like but goes further than he anticipated.

This was a brilliant take on the novel by H.G. Wells that was a great read, Rod Taylor stars as George who nobody believed in his theory or time travel.

It does have some fantastic effects and stop motion that actually work than other movies from the 60s but are a bit daft and laughable. Alan Young plays Filby in a dual role of present and future friend who may understand George's story and Yvette Mimieux plays Weena of the Eloi people. From start to finish this is entertaining and never gets dull with age. 10+
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 71fJ2e4E9RL._SY445_.jpg (41.8 KB, 2 views)
Old 24th April 2019, 08:07 PM
Cult King
Senior Moderator

Nails (2017)

A woman paralyzed following a car accident desperately tries to get her family and doctors to believe that she is being terrorized by a malevolent presence in her hospital room.

Classy little British horror film with a great central performance from The Descent's Shauna Macdonald. At first it seems she could be so traumatized that it may all be in her imagination but as the film continues we get back story regarding the hospital and former patients and things become a little clearer. The Nails character is a beautifully realized grotesque creation that is quite creepy especially when it carves words into Macdonald's body using it's er' nails.

Although the plot is fairly slight and there's not an awful lot of action - what can you do when your main character is paralyzed in bed? - Nails is a disturbing and deft little thriller that i really enjoyed.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Nails_One_Sheet_FINAL-226x300.jpg (15.7 KB, 3 views)
Old 24th April 2019, 09:44 PM
Cult Veteran
Good Trader

Doctor at Sea.

Taking place some months after Doctor in the House, Simon Sparrow disillusioned with his small practice and the unwanted advances of his landlords daughter ( Joan Simms who looks like Olive from on the buses here) decide too become a ships doctor , love is soon in the air which is welcomed and wanted by Sparrow who has eyes for Brigitte Bardot and unwanted for the ships captain (James Robertson Justice) 7.5/10

Now watching Animal Crackers.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg lf.jpg (91.8 KB, 3 views)

Last edited by trebor8273; 24th April 2019 at 09:58 PM.

Like this? Share it using the links below!