All AlbumsBlogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Like Tree179500Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 29th April 2019, 01:29 AM
Cultist on the Rampage

Default Jaws The Revenge

Quote:
Originally Posted by Demdike@Cult Labs View Post
I'm trying to think of positives and all i can really come up with is that Michael Caine is always watchable plus the shark has a clunky charm about it that would not be present in todays CGI world.
Imo, genuinely one of the worst sequels ever made. A franchise killer. If you're gonna completely retcon Jaws 3, you really should try much harder. Even the shark that they built looks much more dodgy than in the earlier films. You'd have thought that would be relatively easy to get right but they even ballsed that up. You'd think practice would make perfect. And who thought it would be a good idea for the shark to make roaring sounds? I've seen two different endings to Jaws 4 - in one of them, the shark (bizarrely) blows up for absolutely no known reason, as soon as the boat makes contact with it. I've previously read that the blu-ray version has that crazy ending as part of the actual film (the also daft but much more logical ending appears as a bonus feature).
troggi likes this.

Last edited by SymbioticFunction; 29th April 2019 at 01:51 AM.
Old 29th April 2019, 08:37 AM
Cult Acolyte

Avengers: Endgame. The remaining Avengers reassemble in a last ditch effort to defeat Thanos and reverse the murder of billions in this big blowout movie that is essentially the end of the MCU as we know it. I'm not the biggest fan of the genre, but even at the buttnumbing 3 hour running time I was kept engaged and entertained, and the ending was actually a bit of a choker.
Good film, though it's difficult to see this series maintaining this momentum now. I don't find most of the 'replacement' characters coming in terribly appealing, to be honest.
Old 29th April 2019, 11:24 AM
Cult King
Cult Labs Radio Contributor
Senior Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by SymbioticFunction View Post
Imo, genuinely one of the worst sequels ever made. A franchise killer. If you're gonna completely retcon Jaws 3, you really should try much harder. Even the shark that they built looks much more dodgy than in the earlier films. You'd have thought that would be relatively easy to get right but they even ballsed that up. You'd think practice would make perfect. And who thought it would be a good idea for the shark to make roaring sounds? I've seen two different endings to Jaws 4 - in one of them, the shark (bizarrely) blows up for absolutely no known reason, as soon as the boat makes contact with it. I've previously read that the blu-ray version has that crazy ending as part of the actual film (the also daft but much more logical ending appears as a bonus feature).
The shark blowing up is the actual film. It briefly flashes back to Brody aiming the rifle, then to Ellen Brody in the present, then the shark just blows up because it impales itself on a broken piece of rigging at the front of the boat. All i can think is the device they put in the shark in a slightly earlier scene reached zero so the shark would have blown up anyway.

It's totally dumb and is the worst possible ending.

From IMDB.

Quote:
Michael continues to blast the shark with the impulses, causing it to leap out of the water again, igniting the bomb as Ellen steers the sailboat towards the shark while thinking back to Sean's demise, the shark's attack on Thea, and when her husband defeated the first shark. The broken bowsprit impales the shark in the exact spot where the bomb is, causing it to explode on impact.
How Ellen can think back to either of the scenes mentioned is beyond me as she wasn't present for either.
Linbro and troggi like this.
Old 29th April 2019, 01:49 PM
Cultist on the Rampage

Jaws The Revenge contradicts Jaws 2 in a couple of ways. Chief Brody is told that sharks don't take things personally (by a marine expert) yet the tagline for Jaws The Revenge is "This time it's personal". Also we see a Jaws 2 diver get compression sickness after escaping Bruce too quickly, yet here Michael Brody uses his tank to rise far more quickly and he is absolutely fine. Thinking about it, Jaws The Revenge might not just be one of the worst sequels ever made, but one of the actual worst films ever made. I've never encountered anyone who tried to defend it, it's one of those rarer movies that absolutely everyone thinks is completely awful! It's difficult to believe that a major studio could produce something so utterly terrible and give it a theatrical release, especially when it's in a famous franchise. I'll just stick with owning Jaws 1-3.
Old 29th April 2019, 07:50 PM
Cult Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by iank View Post
Avengers: Endgame. The remaining Avengers reassemble in a last ditch effort to defeat Thanos and reverse the murder of billions in this big blowout movie that is essentially the end of the MCU as we know it. I'm not the biggest fan of the genre, but even at the buttnumbing 3 hour running time I was kept engaged and entertained, and the ending was actually a bit of a choker.

Good film, though it's difficult to see this series maintaining this momentum now. I don't find most of the 'replacement' characters coming in terribly appealing, to be honest.
Depends where they try going from here. I watched it this afternoon and despite some slower bits I absolutely loved it. I enjoyed Infinity War though I am willing to accept there were flaws. At 3+ hours it still struggled to juggle all the characters and encompass all the story arcs. The fact that the Russo brothers achieved so much is in itself a real accomplishment. I squeezed(?) my viewing in between two other extra-curricular activities today so personally I can't wait to watch it again on a more relaxed day.

Sent from my SM-G960F using Tapatalk
troggi, bleakshaun and iank like this.

Last edited by J Harker; 30th April 2019 at 09:14 AM.
Old 29th April 2019, 08:30 PM
Cult Veteran
Good Trader

Quote:
Originally Posted by SymbioticFunction View Post
Er, SOLD
troggi and nosferatu42 like this.

[B]
"... the days ahead will be filled with struggle ... and coated in marzipan ... "[/B]
Old 29th April 2019, 08:43 PM
Cult Veteran
Good Trader

The Desperate Hours (1955, William Wyler)

Oooh, this was worth the wait. Bogie, his younger brother and some big lug terrorise Fredric March's family in order to take stock and plan their getaway after a prison break. A taut wee thriller. The banter between the two leads worth it alone. This will be going on again shortly methinks ... Recommended.

[B]
"... the days ahead will be filled with struggle ... and coated in marzipan ... "[/B]
Old 29th April 2019, 10:29 PM
Cult King
Senior Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Demoncrat View Post
The Desperate Hours (1955, William Wyler)

Oooh, this was worth the wait. Bogie, his younger brother and some big lug terrorise Fredric March's family in order to take stock and plan their getaway after a prison break. A taut wee thriller. The banter between the two leads worth it alone. This will be going on again shortly methinks ... Recommended.
I didn't mind the remake of this either. Although Mickey Rourke is no Bogie.
troggi likes this.
Old 29th April 2019, 10:43 PM
Cult Veteran
Good Trader

I haven't seen that one tbh. C'est la vie!!
troggi likes this.

[B]
Old 29th April 2019, 10:44 PM
Cult King
Senior Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Demoncrat View Post
I haven't seen that one tbh. C'est la vie!!
You've definitely seen the best one, D.
Demoncrat and troggi like this.

Like this? Share it using the links below!