Go Back   Cult Labs > Film Discussions > General Film Discussions
All AlbumsBlogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Like Tree179604Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 16th May 2019, 12:47 AM
Cult Veteran
Good Trader

Nightmare City 1980.

A plane lands at a airport carrying a nuclear scientist, when the doors open a horde of zombies break out and start terrorising a city.

The plot of the story might sound familiar and already done before, even the acting might be bland and somewhat noticeable dubbing this was entertaining from director Umberto Lenzi. The film is not a big budget and head popping scenes may have been balloons filled up with some gore effects and the cheesey make up effects that are a bit laughable. What made it a bit more pleasant was the ending. Worth a watch. 6-7 out of 10.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Nightmare-City-Pic-1.jpg (108.0 KB, 6 views)
Old 16th May 2019, 02:03 AM
Cultist on the Rampage

Quote:
Originally Posted by Demdike@Cult Labs View Post
I really enjoyed Solo. It lacked any of the pretentiousness of say, The Last Jedi, and ended up a throughly enjoyable film that shows no sign of it's reportedly very troubled production.
Hmmm. I'd say that the Solo arthouse style cinematography was extremely pretentious. Film was crazy dark, not only did it cause eye strain but it didn't seem at all appropriate for a Star Wars film. This is my least favourite SW film to date - perhaps my opinion might change if I could properly see what was happening.
trebor8273 likes this.
Old 16th May 2019, 09:52 AM
Cult Acolyte

Default house of demons

A double dose of monsters in the basement and lipsticks in the nipple, not necessarily at the same time or in the same movie..Say what you like about estate agents..(and anybody who has bought a house may well do) .but if they can sell the Freudstein house then they can sell anything..Tombstone in the living room, no problem, rotting corpses in the basement..meh just get an air freshener. Son has a high pitched squeaky voice, try hitting him with an axe. Still, at least the estate agent gets her commupence, although an online rating from the customer may have been more preferable to a stabbing with a metal poker, but you get my point. House by the Cemetery has the tag line Read the fine print. You may have just mortgaged your life!.which I'm sure in estate agent speak means you have bought a dilapidated shithole with a pile of rotting corpses mounting in your cellar. It all makes no sense what so ever. Still, I don't care, it has bats, gore and maggot infested tenant down below, I still find House an interesting but at times gruelling film, I mean apart from Bob's dubbing there are not too many laughs to be had and the violence is fairly unrelenting..
Night of the Demons (1988) tries very hard to be a sort of a cross between Raimi's Evil Dead and O Bannon Return of the Living dead, although they only manage to muster one track by Bauhaus "Stigmata Martyr", as a nod to its goth female lead. The problem being with Night is that there is not a sympathetic character to root for in the whole cast, they're all pretty much whiny and obnoxious individuals, so you are not really bothered which one gets killed and brought back as a demon. But on the other hand, we do have Linnea Quigley as Suzanne in her underwear, and like Return Of The Living Dead she does manage to steal the show, It's hard not to forget the lipstick scene or her wiggling her bottom...There are a few cool gore scenes, an evil dead inspired eye gouging and the rather unexpected ending, which involves the local curmudgeon putting razor blades in apples for the trick or treaters only for the joke to backfire when his wife makes an apple pie out of them. Night of the Demons has its moments but it never really fulfils its potential as an Evil Dead rip off..
Attached Images
File Type: jpg house_by_cemetery_poster_01.jpg (104.5 KB, 4 views)
File Type: jpg noftd.jpg (96.0 KB, 4 views)

Old 16th May 2019, 10:28 AM
Cult King
Cult Labs Radio Contributor
Senior Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by SymbioticFunction View Post
Hmmm. I'd say that the Solo arthouse style cinematography was extremely pretentious. Film was crazy dark, not only did it cause eye strain but it didn't seem at all appropriate for a Star Wars film. This is my least favourite SW film to date - perhaps my opinion might change if I could properly see what was happening.
I didn't have a problem with it being dark at all. Could see everything fine.
Justin101 and trebor8273 like this.
Old 16th May 2019, 11:28 AM
Cult Veteran

So I watched The Howling for the first time last night. Rather than buying the BD on a blind buy I picked up a DVD from Music Magpie in a 2 for £3 (paired with a John Denver CD!).

It was NOT what I was expecting at all, and for some reason I always had it in my head it was a comedy horror, but apart from the amazing Dick Miller scenes it wasn't really funny at all.

Enjoyable 80's horror romp about a group of werewolves enjoying a self-help retreat, sorry for the spoilers, but I think I'm the last person alive who's never seen it before

The iconic metamorphosis scene seemed out of place in the narrative and (understandably) very long, but it looked good and gruesome, but not as painful looking as the American Werewolf version!

Worth £1.50

Triumphant sight on a northern sky

Old 16th May 2019, 11:36 AM
Cult King
Senior Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Justin101 View Post
So I watched The Howling for the first time last night. Rather than buying the BD on a blind buy I picked up a DVD from Music Magpie in a 2 for £3 (paired with a John Denver CD!).

It was NOT what I was expecting at all, and for some reason I always had it in my head it was a comedy horror, but apart from the amazing Dick Miller scenes it wasn't really funny at all.

Enjoyable 80's horror romp about a group of werewolves enjoying a self-help retreat, sorry for the spoilers, but I think I'm the last person alive who's never seen it before

The iconic metamorphosis scene seemed out of place in the narrative and (understandably) very long, but it looked good and gruesome, but not as painful looking as the American Werewolf version!

Worth £1.50
Which release did you get?

Mine is a digi in a slipcase with the slash marks cut out, together with a booklet and a second disc of extras. Bought it in 05 for £6 at HMV. Still looks as good as the day i bought it.

They'd charge twenty notes for similar quality today.

That transformation scene is good but when i watch it i always think 'why are you standing there watching it?' she has plenty of time to get away but no, just stand there and wait for the transformation to be over then you can get killed.
Justin101 and trebor8273 like this.
Old 16th May 2019, 11:51 AM
Cult Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Demdike@Cult Labs View Post
Which release did you get?

Mine is a digi in a slipcase with the slash marks cut out, together with a booklet and a second disc of extras. Bought it in 05 for £6 at HMV. Still looks as good as the day i bought it.

They'd charge twenty notes for similar quality today.

That transformation scene is good but when i watch it i always think 'why are you standing there watching it?' she has plenty of time to get away but no, just stand there and wait for the transformation to be over then you can get killed.
It's the exact same one, digipak in a slipcase! It's not in pristine condition but it's not ripped or marked too badly! I started watching the talking heads doc afterwards but it was getting late and Dee Wallace was getting very excited talking about her 'no nudity' contract

Triumphant sight on a northern sky

Old 16th May 2019, 11:56 AM
Cult King
Senior Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Justin101 View Post
It's the exact same one, digipak in a slipcase! It's not in pristine condition but it's not ripped or marked too badly! I started watching the talking heads doc afterwards but it was getting late and Dee Wallace was getting very excited talking about her 'no nudity' contract
Who needs Dee Wallace when you've got Elizabeth Brooks.
Old 16th May 2019, 04:53 PM
Cult Veteran
Good Trader

Tommy (1975, Ken Russell)

Overblown? Nae really. Check the source material . Filmed in and around Portsmouth, KR helms with assurance this tale of trauma set-to-tunes is breathtaking in whatever way you want to interpret that
Daltrey plays the catatonic cypher that is Tommy. Used and abused by all and sundry, Tommy eventually finds salvation in a junkyard. See Jack Nicholson try to carry a tune . Witness that nice Paul Nicholas behave most underhandedly . Still bonkers.

[B]
"... the days ahead will be filled with struggle ... and coated in marzipan ... "[/B]

Last edited by Demoncrat; 16th May 2019 at 08:04 PM.
Old 16th May 2019, 08:45 PM
Cult Veteran
Good Trader

McVicar (Tom Clegg)

Daltrey plays hardnut John McVicar, a habitual criminal who finds salvation through education.
Adam Faith ably supports. Berkoff sharpens his sneer in the background. Georgina Hale. The songs still stick out. This is not a compliment

[B]
"... the days ahead will be filled with struggle ... and coated in marzipan ... "[/B]

Like this? Share it using the links below!