Cult Labs

Go Back   Cult Labs > Film Discussions > General Film Discussions

Like Tree179037Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 24th May 2019, 09:26 PM
Cultist on the Rampage

Lake Placid

So.....when I saw this upon release, I was unimpressed while everyone else loved it. With Anacondas getting a blu release soon I thought I'd revisit a few creature features so found LP 1&2 in cex for 50p.

It's basically Jaws with a crocadile, the difference here is that it's very dark (visually, you can't see much) and there's so much light comedy & relationship stuff that it's like an episode of Friends! Sorry to say I still don't feel the love for this one, when Hollywood does creature features they don't always turn out well.

Roll on part 2, if that fails i'll put on The Relic, got a soft spot for that one!
Old 24th May 2019, 10:02 PM
Cult King
Cult Labs Radio Contributor
Senior Moderator

Valley of Eagles (1950)

Typically creaky British Cold War espionage thriller... actually it isn't. It's a highly unusual tale from Bond director Terence Young which sees detective Jack Warner and scientist John McCallum thrust into the wilds of Sweden then Lapland in pursuit of McCallum's former partner and wife who have stolen plans for a scientific Macguffin.

It's a film that will bring a chill to your bones as the chase involves sleighs, reindeer, avalanches, more wolves than you can shake a Liam Neeson at and a mysterious Lapp tribe who hunt using giant eagles. Oh and did i mention Christopher Lee? Well he's in it as well.

Anyone who likes quirky but highly ambitious British thrillers could do a lot worse than check out Valley of Eagles.
Old 25th May 2019, 06:08 PM
Cult Acolyte

Default Don’t Open the Window (Non si deve profanare il sonno dei morti, aka The Living Dead

At the start of Living Dead At The Manchester Morgue you get a fairly depressing look at Britain in the 1970s,pollution,rubbish,men with bad facial hair and nudists streaking along the high street, for this is just another day in the life of George (Ray Lovelock),as he heads up to Windermere on his motorbike...Actually he leaves Manchester ,but for some reason the local farmer assumes he is from London, ether its the leather jacket or the stupid bloody hipster facial hair, marks him out as some sort of trouble maker. To be fair George is a miserable bleeder and manages to argue and rub pretty much everybody up the wrong way. Famously filmed at the Stepping Stones across the River Dove at Dovedale, the English countryside has never looked so grim yet extremely beautiful at the same time. The film, has a extremely eclectic mix of oddball characters, it's one of those films where no one seems normal, from the cranky policeman played by Arthur Kennedy to the land lady at the hotel to the creepy doctor at Southgate Hospital...Its eco message is about as subtle as a kick in the nuts, but it still makes for a interesting premise for a zombie movie and certainly still stands head and shoulders above all the recent glut of zombie films.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg dont_open_the_window_poster_04.jpg (98.7 KB, 5 views)

Old 25th May 2019, 08:55 PM
Cult Veteran
Good Trader

Well not as bad as I thought but not a patch on the animated film. The added scenes add little to the story and the actor playing Aladdin lacked any personality and was instantly forgettable, the actress playing the princesses was a lot better but there was zero chemistry between her and Aladdin. The songs on the whole felt and lifeless compared to the animated film, Now onto Will Smith who was never going to top Robin Williams( who could) wasn't as bad as I thought he would be, but he was annoying at times with his fresh prince/ hip hop attitude and he lacked the energy and enthusiasm of William's. Also the bad guy was as treating as a Scooby Doo villain and was more like a pantomime villain than a evil sorcerer. Abu the monkey was by far the best thing in the film. 5/10

Sent from my KFSUWI using Tapatalk
Old 25th May 2019, 10:45 PM
Cult Acolyte

Poltergeist. The Freeling family become plagued by a series of strange disturbances that start out intriguing and even amusing - until youngest daughter Carol Anne is snatched by otherwordly forces. The early 80s supernatural classic is one of my favourite films, though I haven't seen it for nearly 10 years as I think I'd been overwatching it a little. Having finally seen it again, I'm happily to say that it still stands up wonderfully and I thoroughly enjoyed it all over again. Charming, spooky, fun, well acted, beautifully scored (have any movie scores in recent times come close to the tunes we got in the 70s and 80s?), Poltergeist is magic in a way that, to me, movies just aren't anymore.
Old 25th May 2019, 10:58 PM
Cult King
Senior Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by iank View Post
Poltergeist. The Freeling family become plagued by a series of strange disturbances that start out intriguing and even amusing - until youngest daughter Carol Anne is snatched by otherwordly forces. The early 80s supernatural classic is one of my favourite films, though I haven't seen it for nearly 10 years as I think I'd been overwatching it a little. Having finally seen it again, I'm happily to say that it still stands up wonderfully and I thoroughly enjoyed it all over again. Charming, spooky, fun, well acted, beautifully scored (have any movie scores in recent times come close to the tunes we got in the 70s and 80s?), Poltergeist is magic in a way that, to me, movies just aren't anymore.
Although i don't rate Poltergeist (Only saw it recently for the first time) i did like the passion you showed for a movie in your review.
troggi likes this.
Old 26th May 2019, 04:00 AM
Seasoned Cultist

Halloween 2018.
Not sure what the general feeling is of this one, but we hated it! Acting was bad, story was ridiculous. Re-purposing scenes from the original two films was a terrible decision, in my opinion.
1/5 - and that's being very generous.
Old 26th May 2019, 07:45 AM
Cult Acolyte

I couldn't agree more. So disappointing. I'm not sure if it's hilarious or infuriating that it's way worse than the majority of the sequels it so arrogantly ignores.
Linbro and troggi like this.
Old 26th May 2019, 08:27 AM
Cult Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by Inspector Abberline View Post
At the start of Living Dead At The Manchester Morgue you get a fairly depressing look at Britain in the 1970s,pollution,rubbish,men with bad facial hair and nudists streaking along the high street, for this is just another day in the life of George (Ray Lovelock),as he heads up to Windermere on his motorbike...Actually he leaves Manchester ,but for some reason the local farmer assumes he is from London, ether its the leather jacket or the stupid bloody hipster facial hair, marks him out as some sort of trouble maker. To be fair George is a miserable bleeder and manages to argue and rub pretty much everybody up the wrong way. Famously filmed at the Stepping Stones across the River Dove at Dovedale, the English countryside has never looked so grim yet extremely beautiful at the same time. The film, has a extremely eclectic mix of oddball characters, it's one of those films where no one seems normal, from the cranky policeman played by Arthur Kennedy to the land lady at the hotel to the creepy doctor at Southgate Hospital...Its eco message is about as subtle as a kick in the nuts, but it still makes for a interesting premise for a zombie movie and certainly still stands head and shoulders above all the recent glut of zombie films.
So hard to like this review with such blatant hatred of facial hair present throughout
Old 26th May 2019, 09:49 AM
Cult Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nordicdusk View Post
So hard to like this review with such blatant hatred of facial hair present throughout
But beardy-weirdys are fully deserving of any and all hatred shown towards them

Have you ever thought about how uncomfortable beards are when they rub against your thighs?

Golly, Gee! it's wrong to be so guilty

Like this? Share it using the links below!