Cult Labs

Go Back   Cult Labs > Film Discussions > General Film Discussions

Like Tree179037Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 26th May 2019, 10:22 AM
Cultist on the Rampage

Quote:
Originally Posted by Susan Foreman View Post
Have you ever thought about how uncomfortable beards are when they rub against your thighs?
Or the "velcro effect", Susan?
Susan Foreman likes this.

Monster Magnet
Old 26th May 2019, 01:42 PM
Cult Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by troggi View Post
Or the "velcro effect", Susan?
Spoken like a true beardy-weirdy matelot!

Golly, Gee! it's wrong to be so guilty
Old 26th May 2019, 08:11 PM
Cult Acolyte

Default Zombie Holocaust (1980)

Poor old Ian McCulloch, one minute your lead singer of Echo and the Bunnymen, the next your in the Scottish soap opera Take the High Road, and then find your self going to Italy and fighting zombies, cannibals and one eyed aliens...Still there was worse to come with parts in Dr Who and Dempsey and Makepeace in the future...And whilst there is still plenty of fun in this mash-up of zombies meets cannibals with a mad doctor thrown in, it does suffer from some pacing issues, but luckily enough there is still plenty of gut munching ,eye gouging and some rather un health and safety antics involving an outboard motor...those crazy Italians what will they come up with next...Zombie 3 (1988) unfortunately...Still in classic horror movie style, we have a hospital where they barely notice body parts missing from cadavers, but luckily Alexandra Delli Colli is an anthropologist and cracks the case of the missing organs thus leading to an expedition to the islands of Moluccas with Mr McCulloch...Bloody hell this can be hard slog at times, but luckily it is peppered with enough crazy gore scenes to keep you from falling asleep, and while its trying very hard to ride on the coat tales of the success of Zombie Flesh Eaters and Cannibal Holocaust it never reach's the dizzy heights of either of those films, but any film which has Ian McCulloch weilding a boat motor, well enough said really...
Attached Images
File Type: jpg zombie_holocaust_poster_01.jpg (109.1 KB, 7 views)

Old 26th May 2019, 10:08 PM
Cult Veteran
Good Trader

A young man ( Norman Reedus) is hired by rare film collector ( Udo Keir) to find La Fin Absolue du Monde a film that was only showing once and turned the audience murderous and insane. As he searches for the film strange and bizarre things started to happen, once the film is found things get much worse. Creepy and disturbing and one of the better later efforts from Carpenter. 8.5/10

Now watching Bay Coven (1987).

Sent from my KFSUWI using Tapatalk
Old 26th May 2019, 10:27 PM
Cult King
Cult Labs Radio Contributor
Senior Moderator

Mission: Impossible – Fallout (2018)

Quite simply one of the greatest action films ever.

The excellence is on show throughout in the cinematography, musical score, direction, action sequences, stunts, practical effects and acting. Tom Cruise, who performed the HALO jump from 25,000 feet a whopping 106 times to get it just right for director Christopher McQuarrie, gives us a lesson in perfecting the art of playing the action hero.

I last saw this on Boxing Day and five months later it's just as entertaining and ass clenchingly gripping as it was then.

Fantastic!
Old 27th May 2019, 08:27 AM
Cult Acolyte

Brightburn. "What if Superman was evil?" is essentially the premise of this modern horror flick in which a childless Kansas couple find a baby in a crashed spaceship on their farm and elect to raise him as their own. But when he hits 12, his strange powers start to manifest - as does his malevolent psychosis. This horror riff on the Superman origins story is an effective and amusing rendition of the rather cheeky conceit. 
Old 27th May 2019, 01:27 PM
Cult Don
Good Trader
Senior Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Susan Foreman View Post
Have you ever thought about how uncomfortable beards are when they rub against your thighs?
No, it's never crossed my mind!

I watched Out Of the Past yesterday, a masterful film noir based on Daniel Mainwaring's novel and featuring one of Robert Mitchum's finest performances. It's beautifully scored and the black and white photography looks exceptional on the Premium Collection Blu-ray Disc.

The previous day I watched another from the collection: Alfred Hitchcock's Suspicion. It's a film which really showcases Cary Grant's range as he manages to be both charming and (as the title suggests) untrustworthy to the point where Joan Fontaine's Lina thinks he is capable of murder.
Old 27th May 2019, 04:48 PM
Cult King
Senior Moderator

Murder Weapon (1989)

More DTV softcore fumblings from Linnea Quigley and co but at least this one does have added scenes of proper gruesomeness including a very graphic head crushing.

The sound mix is the worst i've ever come across (Makes The Goatman Murders sound like a DTS six channel blockbuster) and Wonder Woman's Lyle Wagner picks up a pay cheque for what amounts to sitting in a chair for half a days filming.

88's release as with the other two in the 80's Scream Queens set is sadly zoomed in to create a widescreen version when it really should be 1:33:1. However it has a slightly better picture than the US release which i should add also has commentary tracks for all three films whereas the 88 release has bugger all extras.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Murder-Weapon-1989-movie-David-DeCoteau-3.jpg (89.7 KB, 6 views)
Old 27th May 2019, 06:09 PM
Cult King
Senior Moderator

The Predator (2018)

One of the worst films i can recall seeing. Of course i've seen worse films than this but they weren't Predator films and they weren't written and directed by Shane Black, a supposedly very competent figure when it comes to film making and i expected so much more than the dross thrown up on screen.

The script is terrible, the first half being made up mainly of army dudes telling jokes Shane Black finds funny and the second half with our lead actor (Whoever he was) shouting "I'm going to save my kid" every ten minutes.

For a film titled The Predator, the titular creature almost seems shoehorned in as an after thought. We are never involved with the creature, it's not a fully rounded character as it was in the classic 1987 movie or it's 1990 sequel. It's just there as an action plot device, something for the army grunts to shoot at.

I thought 2010's Predators was bad but this is a ****ing disgrace.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg MV5BMjM5MDk2NDIxMF5BMl5BanBnXkFtZTgwNjU5NDk3NTM@._V1_.jpg (100.5 KB, 7 views)
Old 27th May 2019, 06:36 PM
Cult Acolyte

Default Terror Eyes (aka Night School) (1981, USA)

Terror Eyes (aka Night School) (1981, USA)
This is what I believe maybe an oxymoron, for what we have here is a bloodless slasher film, well relatively bloodless, especially when you consider our killer donned in black motorcycle gear and helmet is wielding a rather large curved blade and lobbing the heads of young ladies attending the Wendell College for Women...What was great about 1980s horror cinema is that it could be quite misogynistic, but do not worry because even the writer of this was a woman, Ruth Avergon so we can all wind in our PC necks a little...And while the film is not graphic in the sense of on screen mayhem, like say Lustig's Maniac, it does share that same kind of seedy vide you got with films like Don't Answer the Phone! (1980),although it is nowhere as hateful as Don't Answer, because that really does have some issues...Anyhow Terror Eyes or Night School, does have some nice murder set pieces, my favourite being the girl who works at the aquarium and ends up having her head bobbing about with the fishes, a take on the old severed head in a fish tank ploy don't you now...I will not spoil the ending but it is as daft as it ever gets, and lets be honest as genre fans, boy have we seen some right dozes...While it is definitely not in the top tier of 80s slasher movies, it still a a diverting watch for fans of hate filled cinema and slasher completist's...
Attached Images
File Type: jpg terror_eyes_poster_01.jpg (95.8 KB, 8 views)
File Type: jpg terror_eyes_poster_03.jpg (97.4 KB, 8 views)

Like this? Share it using the links below!