Like Tree179038Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 1st June 2019, 11:16 AM
Cult Veteran
Good Trader

Quote:
Originally Posted by Demdike@Cult Labs View Post
The Toybox (2018)

On purchasing this for three quid as an Asda impulse buy a couple of months ago i got home to read how terrible a film it was. Not one person seemed to like it...

...But i did!

I liked the fact it didn't deal in loud crashing music and jump scares. It was instead a film where tension built up in little sequences - the kind of thing where someone is sticking their hand into a kitchen waste disposal which you are just waiting for the moment when it turns on by itself and chews their hand to bits. That doesn't actually happen in The Toybox but i'm sure you get my drift.

The plot is simple but silly, involving a family, including Denise Richards, who buy a new (old) camper van or RV as they are known Stateside and head out into the desert where they pick up a pair stranded at the roadside. It soon becomes clear that something is not right and the RV is at the centre of their troubles as death and disaster strike the vacationers.

The acting ranges from quite poor (the father) to good (Mischa Barton, whom i could watch all day to be honest) and the production values are decent including some nice desert cinematography. Thankfully this steers clear of the Hitch Hike (1977) psycho-hostage thriller scenarios and instead concentrates on good old fashioned supernatural scares plus a reasonable amount of gore.

I really can't recommend this film because the whole world and it's dog thinks it's shit but i was pleasantly surprised and rather enjoyed it.
Hidden amongst the bad reviews are odd one here and there that like it on imdb.
Old 1st June 2019, 11:48 AM
Cult Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by Demdike@Cult Labs View Post
The Toybox (2018)

The plot is simple but silly, involving a family, including Denise Richards, who buy a new (old) camper van or RV as they are known Stateside and head out into the desert where they pick up a pair stranded at the roadside
Fools!

The first rule of living in a camper van is...you do not pick up anyone unless you already know and totally trust them!
Demoncrat likes this.

Golly, Gee! it's wrong to be so guilty
Old 1st June 2019, 01:48 PM
Cult Veteran
Good Trader

Quote:
Originally Posted by bleakshaun View Post
Shark Attack 3: Megalodon
John Barrowman plays a Lifeguard for a resort who teams up with a scientist lady to kill a prehistoric shark.
Owning some of the worst dialogue and some shitty cgi, this is one of the best shark movies I have ever seen. I can't say anything else.

Sent from my PRA-LX1 using Tapatalk
I cried with laughter. Rewatch!!!
bleakshaun likes this.

[B]
"... the days ahead will be filled with struggle ... and coated in marzipan ... "[/B]
Old 1st June 2019, 07:51 PM
Cult Veteran
Good Trader

Taking place 5 years after the first movie ,the world is aware of Godzilla and other creatures which have been named Titans. While the world decides it they should be destroyed , a eco terrorist group take control of a device that can control the Titans , things don't go as planed as King Ghidorah takes control of them and big G is down and out. Godzilla, King Ghidorah, Rodan and Mothra are here as well as other not seen before. Superior too the last movie and Shin Godzilla. A lot of it still takes place at night but you can see the beasties now. Lots of nods to the Japanese movies , with the original Godzilla music at times and the oxygen destroyer from the first film. Lots of shit most definitely blows up. 8.5/10

Sent from my KFSUWI using Tapatalk

Last edited by trebor8273; 1st June 2019 at 08:24 PM.
Old 2nd June 2019, 01:12 AM
Seasoned Cultist

'Kill List'.
Realised I had seen a cut version, on pay tv, the first time I saw this contemporary masterpiece. Rewatched it via the UK/Aussie BD last night and was blown away.
4.5/5
Old 2nd June 2019, 09:32 AM
Cult Acolyte

frankensteins_daughter_poster_02.jpg
FRANKENSTEIN'S DAUGHTER (1958)

Really a tale of two monsters as Oliver frank, really Dr. Frankenstein experiments first on the lab assistants niece Trudy, giving her horrific features and then Trudy's friend Suzie. Suzie's head is grafted to a body and the experiment is a success and proclaimed as Frankenstein's Daughter.
The monster looks pretty strange considering it supposed to be a woman's head. Apparently the maker of the mask did not know that the mask was supposed to be a woman so made a mask with a man in mind. The solution was to just put lipstick on the mask and go with it !

untitled.jpg thGD0G75NT.jpg
Old 2nd June 2019, 10:04 AM
Cult King
Cult Labs Radio Contributor
Senior Moderator

Ha - Thought it was Dengar at first.

Old 2nd June 2019, 08:32 PM
Cult Veteran
Good Trader

Tenebre 1982.

American novelist Peter Neal arrives in Rome to promote his new book Tenebre. Meanwhile someone is killing those people around him slipping pages of his book in their mouths.

Done in the great Argento way of P.O.V. style killing hands with plenty twists and turns keeps us guessing who the killer is and why. Anthony Franciosa plays the lead of Peter who tries his best to help the police in investigating the reasons for the killings. Luciano Tovoli provides the cinematography brilliantly including using a crane style movement on the outside of a building. With Argento expect plenty blood splatter and music provided by Claudio Simonetti and Goblin. 8 out of 10.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg images.jpg (6.8 KB, 5 views)
Old 3rd June 2019, 12:40 AM
Cult Veteran
Good Trader

The Brood 1979.

Frank Carveth tries to uncover Dr Raglan's psychology treatment at a institution where his wife is being treated and suspects strange bizarre murders have a connection.

This was a odd and bizarre flick but what would you expect from David Cronenberg, added in with a lot of suspense and horror. Oliver Reed plays the doctor brilliantly, he knows how to get into his patients head and brings out their anger. Art Hindle plays the concerned husband and father Frank who wants answers and Samantha Eggar as Nola who is stuck between the feuding men.

Associated with Cronenberg's horror films does come with deaths that can be disturbing to some and very bloody and his weirdness of a woman giving birth captured perfectly by cinematographer Mark Irwin and a good haunting score by Howard Shore. 8 out of 10.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 1331497027570_09280309_image155518_movieposter.jpg (23.2 KB, 4 views)
Old 3rd June 2019, 06:37 PM
Seasoned Cultist

Madman(1981)

A bunch of students and camp councillors are sitting around the fire in the woods telling ghost stories. and an old chap tells them about Madman Marz who chopped up his family with an axe. and the murderer turns out to be real and goes on a killing rampage.

decent enough if fairly run of the mill slasher film with a few good kills using axes and nooses, and a girl being decapitated with a car bonnet.
with a cast that are rather unremarkable but competent enough nevertheless, featuring Gaylen Ross from Dawn of The dead.

Madman Marz is a rather funny looking chap though. having a very bad hair day and in need of a good manicure.

Worth a watch 69 out of 100.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Madman1-1-1080x530.jpg (79.2 KB, 5 views)

Like this? Share it using the links below!