Go Back   Cult Labs > Film Discussions > General Film Discussions
All AlbumsBlogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Like Tree179476Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 18th June 2019, 01:42 AM
Cult Veteran
Good Trader

The Lift 1983.

In a high rise building a lift develops a mind of its own and starts killing those in the lift or close to it. A engineer and journalist team up to figure out how to stop the killing.

From Dutch filmmaker Dick Maas (Amsterdamned and Sint) comes his first full length horror film feature. As cheesy as the title and plot sounds this was decent enough film. To say I was on the edge of seat and nail biting I wasn't but does have some good tense moments and eerie background score composed by Maas himself. Huub Stapel and Willeke Van Ammelrooy play the unlikely duo trying to figure out what's happening while the body count goes up. 7 out of 10.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg v83138fxf9g.jpg (21.2 KB, 6 views)
Old 18th June 2019, 07:56 AM
Cult Acolyte

01_1942 Perils of Nyoka-poster.jpeg.jpg
PERILS OF NYOKA (1942)
REPUBLIC SERIAL 15 Chapters

Nyoka searches of the Lost Tablets of Hippocrates, which will give the secret of curing diseases and also a rich treasure. Also after the tablets is evil Vultura and her henchmen..

A sequel of sorts to the 1941 serial Jungle Girl.
Another good serial with some great cliffhangers usually involving Nyoka.
Future Lone Ranger Clayton Moore is on hand to help Nyoka out.

MV5BOTk4NzM0NDQtN2I5Mi00MGMxLWJlZDQtYTAyOTE0ZWRmOTg5XkEyXkFqcGdeQXVyMDMxMjQwMw@@._V1_SY500_CR0,0.jpg

For me, Vultura (Lorna Gray) steals the show here. Vultura, not afraid to get her hands dirty by fighting Nyoka (Kay Aldridge) travels around in a chariot with her loyal pet gorilla at her side.

Old 18th June 2019, 09:43 AM
Cult Veteran
Cult Labs Radio Contributor

Horror Express

I can't believe that I'd never seen this one before! I could tell as soon as it started it was a classic and I should have been ashamed of myself
One of the main things that surprised me was how gruesome it was, not in a particularly violent way, but lots of eye trauma

Great stuff, Arrow's BD looks fantastic, I think I'm going to watch it again tonight with the Jones and Newman comm track. Disappointed by the lack of booklet!

Triumphant sight on a northern sky

Old 18th June 2019, 02:04 PM
Seasoned Cultist

Bad Boys(1983)

sean penn stars as mick o Brian a chicago punk who accidently kills the younger brother of a gangster called paco(Esai morales) after a heist goes wrong. and ends up in a young offenders prison where he has to face off with the top dogs Tweedy and Viking. and things go from bad to worse when paco rapes his girlfriend JC(Ally Sheedy) and ends up in the same jail to kill Sean Penn.

directed by Rick Rosenthal who did Halloween 2, this is a top notch and brutal prison drama with brilliant acting from Penn and the rest of the cast who are so believable.
With even a bit of comedy provided as well from a nerdy jewish chap who is Sean Penns cell mate and has has a great ability for making exploding radios using fertilizer.

Excellent stuff indeed. with a great sequence too involving Penn taking out the top dogs using a pillow case full of Coke cans. And not to mention the explosive climax. 81 out of 100.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg bad-boys-1200-1200-675-675-crop-000000.jpg (87.3 KB, 6 views)
Old 18th June 2019, 02:38 PM
Cultist on the Rampage

Quote:
Originally Posted by Demdike@Cult Labs View Post
I watched this at the end of March (Just checked) and quite liked it, but now two and a bit months later i can't remember a damned thing about it. That really can't work in it's favour.

A film which was genuinely instantly forgettable.
That's exactly how I felt about the last James Bond film, 'Spectre' (except for the great Day of the Dead festival and helicopter opening). I had to rewatch it several weeks later to remind myself all about it - imo Spectre is the most forgettable 007 film out of the lot.
Old 18th June 2019, 03:12 PM
Cultist on the Rampage

Quote:
Originally Posted by Justin101 View Post
Horror Express

I can't believe that I'd never seen this one before! I could tell as soon as it started it was a classic and I should have been ashamed of myself
One of the main things that surprised me was how gruesome it was, not in a particularly violent way, but lots of eye trauma

Great stuff, Arrow's BD looks fantastic, I think I'm going to watch it again tonight with the Jones and Newman comm track. Disappointed by the lack of booklet!
I remember the first time i saw it i was still at school and it was the talk of the playground the next day.

Personally, i think it's a tad over-rated these days. Everyone seems to call it a classic because that's what you do. Just below that for me, and Telly Savalas comes perilously close to de-railing it (pun intended!) IMO.

Its great that new generations of folk are discovery vintage films, but along with it comes the internet ranking phenomena. A previous beneficiary being Blood on Satan's Claw - another good film that it seems is against the law today to not think of it as a classic film.

Both good films, mind and not commenting on your views - just something i've been thinking for a while.
Old 18th June 2019, 06:23 PM
Cult King
Senior Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by SymbioticFunction View Post
That's exactly how I felt about the last James Bond film, 'Spectre' (except for the great Day of the Dead festival and helicopter opening). I had to rewatch it several weeks later to remind myself all about it - imo Spectre is the most forgettable 007 film out of the lot.
I agree but i don't think it's the most forgettable Bond. That honour goes to Quantum of Solace.
Justin101 likes this.
Old 19th June 2019, 09:06 AM
Cult Acolyte

A triple bill last night that took me in to the early hours of this morning..

S1710130.jpg H0472-L75205401.jpg
Old 19th June 2019, 09:20 AM
Cult Veteran

Quote:
I agree but i don't think it's the most forgettable Bond. That honour goes to Quantum of Solace.
I honestly can't remember what happens in QoS at all! At least Spectre I can remember the main plots and sequences
Demdike@Cult Labs likes this.

Triumphant sight on a northern sky

Old 19th June 2019, 12:21 PM
Cult Addict
Good Trader

Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by Justin101 View Post
I honestly can't remember what happens in QoS at all! At least Spectre I can remember the main plots and sequences
Quantum of Solace was mainly destroyed by the nutjob who did the editing.

As for the most forgettable Bond film - On Her Majesty's Secret Service, Moonraker, The World Is Not Enough, Die Another Day and Spectre are all mediocre.

Like this? Share it using the links below!