Cult Labs

Go Back   Cult Labs > Film Discussions > General Film Discussions

Like Tree179473Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 22nd June 2019, 09:54 PM
Cult Veteran
Good Trader

Well there was no need to be worried , what was a perfect trilogy is now a perfect quadrilogy. Have those hankies at the ready!

At the beginning we get to find out what happened to Bo Peep. Jump forward to now and the gangs new owner from the last film , makes her own toy forky and it's up to Woody and the gang to keep him save . The film spends a lot of its time with Woody, in what is personal and emotional journey for our favourite cowboy whos never really gotten over Andy,while looking for forky ,Woody is reunited with Bo and has to deal with a bunch a creepy toys in antique store who want his voice box. New charcters are introduced including Duke Caboom voiced by the living legend Keanu Reeves. As I said have hankies at the ready as we have a very emotional bitter sweet ending. 9.5/10

Last edited by trebor8273; 22nd June 2019 at 10:13 PM.
Old 22nd June 2019, 10:09 PM
Cult Veteran
Good Trader

Noted. Hankies within reach etc
trebor8273 likes this.

[B]
"... the days ahead will be filled with struggle ... and coated in marzipan ... "[/B]
Old 23rd June 2019, 05:05 AM
Seasoned Cultist

'The Wild Bunch'...4/5
Old 23rd June 2019, 11:38 AM
Cult Veteran
Good Trader

"If it moves, review it!!!"

(only 4?? )

Zombie Ass: Toilet Of The Dead (2011, Noboru Iguchii)

Ahem. A hideously entertaining piece of exploitative tat. Not for the squeamish in places tbh. Perfect Sunday morning viewing

Behind The Mask: The Rise Of Leslie Vernon (2006, Scott Glosserman)

Another watch of this. Yes, it's the murican Man Bites Dog (ish) but I find more to enjoy with each perusal. Recommended x2.

[B]
"... the days ahead will be filled with struggle ... and coated in marzipan ... "[/B]
Old 23rd June 2019, 11:59 AM
Cultist on the Rampage

HELL FEST – A guy in a mask is doing some slashing at a horror theme-park – some young adults are set up to triumph or die etc. Sorry, I don’t have the energy to put a more imaginative spin on things, it is exactly what it is. Perhaps unfairly, I want to compare it to Tobe Hooper’s ‘The Funhouse’, mostly because one of the striking things about that movie was the gaudy plethora of carnival grotesque on constant display – the same sort of thing is ‘Hell Fest’s best hand IMO. Unlike ‘The Funhouse, which wasn’t all that explicit but had a nicely perverse backstory and a general freakiness to it, ‘Hell Fest’ offers little else beyond its nice visuals. It’s undeniably well made and pacey enough to be diverting, but in the end it’s just the same stuff we’ve seen countless times before. As much as it’s pointless to knock formula when commenting on slasher movies, these days I prefer it if there’s something either outré, just different or even utterly utterly rubbish to get my head around, whereas ‘Hell Fest’, as smooth as it is, just seems to want to get as much mileage as it can out of a very vintage proposition, do an OK job then punch the clock. Worth checking out over a couple of beers, but I don’t think you’ll watch it twice – well I probably won’t, anyway..

THE SUPER – Saw this whilst I was rummaging around on Netflix. An apartment block is beset by grisly murders – a new guy starts there as a janitor and decides to investigate the sinister goings on. In between a promisingly brutal start and an impressively mean-spirited ending, janitor guy discovers what pretty much amounts to Val Kilmer being rubbish in a cellar for an hour or so. I have to congratulate Val for making me shriek with laughter at his performance, which is not so much ‘on the nose’ as beyond even facial regions yet to be discovered. Maybe I’m misremembering it a little, but his turn just seemed super-bad and misplaced in a film that generally makes do with being mediocre. Bit harsh perhaps, it did keep me watching; the whole is reasonably well made and comes with a bit of gore and atmosphere. Again, one viewing is probably all that is required, and even then in a state of mild inebriation.

THREE WOMEN – Robert Altman never really did a horror movie to the best of my knowledge, but three of his films, ‘That Cold Day in the Park’, ‘Images’ and ‘Three Women’, are weird, twisted psychodramas with a distinctly hazy feel to them, particularly those last two. ‘Three Women’ stars Sissy Spacek and Shelly Duvall as employees at some kind of health resort for the elderly – naïf Spacek is enamoured of bovine narcissist Duvall and follows her around until a crisis in their relationship leads Spacek to attempt suicide, after which she takes on a different, hard-assed persona, one that seems to mock Duvall by achieving and surpassing the latter’s ambition for dominance and superiority . ‘Three Woman’ is about the fluidity of identity and consciousness but is really not straightforwardly a ‘narrative film’ – it’s not tangibly surreal (although it sort of is at the end), but makes more sense as an uneasy, dream-like wash rather than a coherent series of events. The discordant score and the empty desert imagery, not to mention the constant presence of the odd, violent murals painted everywhere by the film’s enigmatic third woman, conjure a really dense, intoxicating atmosphere.
Old 23rd June 2019, 12:08 PM
Cult King
Cult Labs Radio Contributor
Senior Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Frankie Teardrop View Post
HELL FEST – A guy in a mask is doing some slashing at a horror theme-park – some young adults are set up to triumph or die etc. Sorry, I don’t have the energy to put a more imaginative spin on things, it is exactly what it is. Perhaps unfairly, I want to compare it to Tobe Hooper’s ‘The Funhouse’, mostly because one of the striking things about that movie was the gaudy plethora of carnival grotesque on constant display – the same sort of thing is ‘Hell Fest’s best hand IMO. Unlike ‘The Funhouse, which wasn’t all that explicit but had a nicely perverse backstory and a general freakiness to it, ‘Hell Fest’ offers little else beyond its nice visuals. It’s undeniably well made and pacey enough to be diverting, but in the end it’s just the same stuff we’ve seen countless times before. As much as it’s pointless to knock formula when commenting on slasher movies, these days I prefer it if there’s something either outré, just different or even utterly utterly rubbish to get my head around, whereas ‘Hell Fest’, as smooth as it is, just seems to want to get as much mileage as it can out of a very vintage proposition, do an OK job then punch the clock. Worth checking out over a couple of beers, but I don’t think you’ll watch it twice – well I probably won’t, anyway..
Thanks for the heads up on Hell Fest, Frankie. I was going to buy at some point.

Picked another Fright Fest film up yesterday at Asda - Paul (The Seasoning House / Howl) Hyett's The Convent. Goes under the name Heretiks and stars Hannah Arterton, Claire Higgins and Michael Ironside. Have you seen it? Is it awful? I really liked Hyett's other films.
Old 23rd June 2019, 12:29 PM
Cult Veteran
Good Trader

Quote:
Originally Posted by Frankie Teardrop View Post

THE SUPER – Saw this whilst I was rummaging around on Netflix. An apartment block is beset by grisly murders – a new guy starts there as a janitor and decides to investigate the sinister goings on. In between a promisingly brutal start and an impressively mean-spirited ending, janitor guy discovers what pretty much amounts to Val Kilmer being rubbish in a cellar for an hour or so. I have to congratulate Val for making me shriek with laughter at his performance, which is not so much ‘on the nose’ as beyond even facial regions yet to be discovered. Maybe I’m misremembering it a little, but his turn just seemed super-bad and misplaced in a film that generally makes do with being mediocre. Bit harsh perhaps, it did keep me watching; the whole is reasonably well made and comes with a bit of gore and atmosphere. Again, one viewing is probably all that is required, and even then in a state of mild inebriation.

THREE WOMEN – Robert Altman never really did a horror movie to the best of my knowledge, but three of his films, ‘That Cold Day in the Park’, ‘Images’ and ‘Three Women’, are weird, twisted psychodramas with a distinctly hazy feel to them, particularly those last two. ‘Three Women’ stars Sissy Spacek and Shelly Duvall as employees at some kind of health resort for the elderly – naïf Spacek is enamoured of bovine narcissist Duvall and follows her around until a crisis in their relationship leads Spacek to attempt suicide, after which she takes on a different, hard-assed persona, one that seems to mock Duvall by achieving and surpassing the latter’s ambition for dominance and superiority . ‘Three Woman’ is about the fluidity of identity and consciousness but is really not straightforwardly a ‘narrative film’ – it’s not tangibly surreal (although it sort of is at the end), but makes more sense as an uneasy, dream-like wash rather than a coherent series of events. The discordant score and the empty desert imagery, not to mention the constant presence of the odd, violent murals painted everywhere by the film’s enigmatic third woman, conjure a really dense, intoxicating atmosphere.
As always
Noted ala The Super btw.
Frankie Teardrop likes this.

[B]
Old 23rd June 2019, 12:29 PM
Cultist on the Rampage

Quote:
Originally Posted by Demdike@Cult Labs View Post

Picked another Fright Fest film up yesterday at Asda - Paul (The Seasoning House / Howl) Hyett's The Convent. Goes under the name Heretiks and stars Hannah Arterton, Claire Higgins and Michael Ironside. Have you seen it? Is it awful? I really liked Hyett's other films.
Heretiks was one of the worst from last years Frightfest. I remember when Paul Hyett was up in Glasgow at Frightfest to show some footage a few years ago and then it took two years to actually be shown at the Main Frightfest which is not normally a good sign. Michael Ironside is only in it for a couple of scenes.
Old 23rd June 2019, 03:26 PM
Cult King
Cult Labs Radio Contributor
Senior Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by monkeypedro View Post
Heretiks was one of the worst from last years Frightfest. I remember when Paul Hyett was up in Glasgow at Frightfest to show some footage a few years ago and then it took two years to actually be shown at the Main Frightfest which is not normally a good sign. Michael Ironside is only in it for a couple of scenes.
I don't know anyone who says films from the last Fright Fest were any good.

Hell Fest, Heretiks, Baka said something else was poor too.
Old 23rd June 2019, 04:11 PM
Cultist on the Rampage

Quote:
Originally Posted by Demdike@Cult Labs View Post
I don't know anyone who says films from the last Fright Fest were any good.

Hell Fest, Heretiks, Baka said something else was poor too.
Hell Fest wasn't a Frightfest fim but they did show the god damn awful American Frighfest. There were plenty of good films shown at the last Frightfest and would recommend One Cut of the Dead, Upgrade, Bodied, Climax and Tigers Are Not Afraid if you get the chance to watch them.

Like this? Share it using the links below!