Cult Labs

Go Back   Cult Labs > Film Discussions > General Film Discussions

Like Tree179038Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 11th July 2019, 06:15 PM
Cult Veteran
Good Trader

Captain Marvel.

I loved it. When an alien crashlands on Earth, she opens her own muffin store It's a roaring success until bad tempered bogies arrive on the scene . Ahem. SBU.

Hollow Man (2000, Paul Verhoeven)

Self regarding scientist pushes back the boundaries of human knowledge by using himself as a test subject? Hmmm. I am positive this scenario has been flogged to death, so lets shake down the dust and plunge back into this rather mean spirited film.
The Bacon plays a boffin who plays fast and loose with his employers resources in order to further his own agenda. Like all PV flicks, tis rather vio-lent in places. Still a bucket of toich as we say in the North
Ahem.

[B]
"... the days ahead will be filled with struggle ... and coated in marzipan ... "[/B]
Old 11th July 2019, 08:21 PM
Cult Veteran
Good Trader

A group of young people go seeking the urban legend of Doctor Satan. They soon ambushed the firefly family a bunch a deranged murderous hillbillies. The young people try to survive the brutal onslaught of the fireflys. Had dvd a number of times but never got around to watching it, a big mistake I loved it, it has a great 70s/ chainsaw vibe but is even more deranged. 9/10

Now watching The Devil's Rejects.
Old 11th July 2019, 09:20 PM
Cult Master
Cult Labs Radio Contributor

91y07TzxGGL._SL1500_.jpg

Valentina a beautiful model takes part in a drugs experiment but its not all fun and games when she witnesses a murder. Afterwards no one will believe her story once they realise that drugs were involved. When she turns to the cops they tell her it was a flashback to a murder from six months previous but the killer nor the victim are the ones she saw that day. Did the drugs alter her perception of the event or was there even an event to begin with.

It's hard to review a Giallo when the slightest slip could ruin the film so let's keep it simple. Gallons of JB are swallowed beautiful woman come and go and there are plenty of dodgy characters lounging about up to no good. I did find that there was a little bit of a lul around the middle of the film but it soon picks up and we are back to business as usual. Of all the strange and wonderfully odd characters that show up none of them are just there to throw you off everyone of them has a purpose and plays an integral part. The killers weapon of choice was fantastic the metal spiked glove looks so brutal. As for the ending it was great i loved the twist and the resulting action.

8/10
Old 11th July 2019, 09:56 PM
Cult King
Senior Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by trebor8273 View Post

A group of young people go seeking the urban legend of Doctor Satan. They soon ambushed the firefly family a bunch a deranged murderous hillbillies. The young people try to survive the brutal onslaught of the fireflys. Had dvd a number of times but never got around to watching it, a big mistake I loved it, it has a great 70s/ chainsaw vibe but is even more deranged. 9/10

Now watching The Devil's Rejects.
Gets better with each viewing, Treb. You get more into the aural and visual assault the film gives you.

Does the disc you have feature all the wisecracking menus screens? Where various characters chat to you, then get pissed off with you for being slow at choosing a special feature and so on. If you watch the whole thing they give you a load of abuse. The menus screens go on for minutes, almost like little vignettes in their own right.

If they have you'll now know that Tiny ****ed a stump!
Old 11th July 2019, 10:33 PM
Cult Master

220px-La_morte_cammina_con_i_tacchi_alti_poster.jpg

The daughter of a jewel thief who was murdered after a heist has attracted the attention of a creepy stranger with piercing blue eyes a balaclava and a voice box to disguise his voice. At first its just phone calls asking about diamonds but a few nights later the man shows up in Nicoles apartment telling her he will murder her if she doesn't hand over the diamonds her father stole before his untimely death. Nicole rushes to her boyfriend's arms for safety and comfort but she finds piercing blue contact lenses in the bathroom. Nicole flees Paris with an English doctor fearing for her life. All seems fine and dandy they move to a fishing village where Robert has a house looking over the sea where they plan to live get married and buy their own boat. Robert commutes to and from London where his medical practise is and one one such trip Nichole goes missing when he returns and an attempt is made on his life shortly afterward.

Fantastic film more beautiful woman twists and turns and a couple of brutal murders.Luciano Ercoli sure love him some hand to hand combat i don't think i have seen so many men and women get bitch slapped so much in a film every couple of scenes someone is tasting the back of someone's hand. Highly entertaining and engrossing maybe its because im still a giallo novice but i was really kept guessing right until the end for the big reveal. I also have to mention the setting adding that bit more to the atmosphere moving from Paris to London and then to the remote fishing village was a great change of pace especially when it sets it up for that small village strangeness and it really make the pools of suspects that much bigger.

8/10

" I'll drink to your health .... the health of your ASS "
Old 11th July 2019, 10:59 PM
Cult Veteran
Good Trader

Walter and June 1983.

After being institutionalised, Walter seems to adapt to life, when he meets June, a woman with psychiatric problems they both decide to escape and make it into the world, can they both learn to adapt.

Sir Ian McKellen returns in this sequel to Walter, this time Sarah Miles plays his love interest June, who tries to coax Walter to speak more and both fall in love. The film shows that no matter how illnesses can affect people there is always someone for everyone without judgement. The film starts of at a steady pace and goes well with plenty drama to the end with some sentimental moments.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg images.jpg (7.3 KB, 3 views)
Old 12th July 2019, 07:11 PM
Cult Veteran
Good Trader

Videodrome 1983.

Tv president Max Renn is looking for a new show to produce, he is shown a clip via pirate satellite Videodrome, a show of Sex and torture. He tries to find the origins and dwells into something darker.

This is a surreal glimpse Into the mind of David Cronenberg and one of his decent movies mixed with horror and with weird visions of what's not real and what is reality. James Woods plays sleazy TV president Max, who seems to want the ultimate X-rated show to broadcast. Debbie Harry plays radio psychologist Nicki Brand who likes a bit of the S&M and inflicts pain on herself. The film does have its intense moments but still entertaining. Long live the new life. 8 out of 10
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 268x0w.jpg (25.7 KB, 4 views)
Old 12th July 2019, 08:43 PM
Cult Veteran
Good Trader

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrBarlow View Post
Videodrome 1983.

Tv president Max Renn is looking for a new show to produce, he is shown a clip via pirate satellite Videodrome, a show of Sex and torture. He tries to find the origins and dwells into something darker.

This is a surreal glimpse Into the mind of David Cronenberg and one of his decent movies mixed with horror and with weird visions of what's not real and what is reality. James Woods plays sleazy TV president Max, who seems to want the ultimate X-rated show to broadcast. Debbie Harry plays radio psychologist Nicki Brand who likes a bit of the S&M and inflicts pain on herself. The film does have its intense moments but still entertaining. Long live the new life. 8 out of 10
We need a new David cronenberg style director, someone who makes films that are different but knows how to make a film, and not Hollywood style, or daft or gore for gore sake. My all time fav director love his films.
His films are different and ideas are fresh etc,
Brood, scanners, videodrome, eXistenZ, fly and load of fantastic films.
How can anyone horror fan not like a Cronenberg film when you look at his film career.
keirarts, trebor8273 and MrBarlow like this.
Old 12th July 2019, 09:56 PM
Cult King
Senior Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by gag View Post
We need a new David cronenberg style director, someone who makes films that are different but knows how to make a film, and not Hollywood style, or daft or gore for gore sake. My all time fav director love his films.
His films are different and ideas are fresh etc,
Brood, scanners, videodrome, eXistenZ, fly and load of fantastic films.
How can anyone horror fan not like a Cronenberg film when you look at his film career.
Try Peter Strickland, gag. He's a great British director who makes horror films but not in any conventional way.

He's not really Cronenberg in style but is certainly someone to look out for.
Old 12th July 2019, 10:17 PM
Cult Veteran
Good Trader

Quote:
Originally Posted by Demdike@Cult Labs View Post
Try Peter Strickland, gag. He's a great British director who makes horror films but not in any conventional way.

He's not really Cronenberg in style but is certainly someone to look out for.
Sometimes I watch films and don't bother looking up the director etc, just googled him he did Berberian sound studio which is a great throwback to old horror style films.

Like this? Share it using the links below!