All AlbumsBlogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Like Tree179607Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 11th August 2019, 09:42 PM
Cult King
Cult Labs Radio Contributor
Senior Moderator

Graveyard Disturbance (1987)

God knows why i keep buying then getting rid of then buying again Graveyard Disturbance. It's now three times i've bought it and it's still rubbish with a tongue in cheek vibe that makes it less scary than a Pirates of the Caribbean film. It comes across as a spoof horror film with ghoul make up effects nicked straight from Demons, minus any blood of course.

But every so often it's a film i want to revisit, i can't give a specific reason why it's just one of those films that drags me back even though i know it sucks. Perhaps it's the fact that it's crypt setting looks great, i really don't know.

All i can say is that Graveyard Disturbance isn't a very good film, it's Lamberto Bava at his worst really, but i kind of enjoy it.
Old 11th August 2019, 10:00 PM
Cult Veteran
Good Trader

Quote:
Originally Posted by Demdike@Cult Labs View Post

God knows why i keep buying then getting rid of then buying again Graveyard Disturbance. It's now three times i've bought it and it's still rubbish with a tongue in cheek vibe that makes it less scary than a Pirates of the Caribbean film. It comes across as a spoof horror film with ghoul make up effects nicked straight from Demons, minus any blood of course.

But every so often it's a film i want to revisit, i can't give a specific reason why it's just one of those films that drags me back even though i know it sucks. Perhaps it's the fact that it's crypt setting looks great, i really don't know.

All i can say is that Graveyard Disturbance isn't a very good film, it's Lamberto Bava at his worst really, but i kind of enjoy it.
I'm sure we all got our guilty pleasures in some films Dem
Demdike@Cult Labs likes this.
Old 11th August 2019, 10:06 PM
Cult King
Senior Moderator

Pirates of the Caribbean: The Curse of the Black Pearl (2003)

Gore Verbinski's first foray into Disney's sedate Pirates of the Caribbean theme park ride was a refreshing and fun adventure which veered into horror territory albeit with it's tongue firmly in it's cheek. In fact it proved a phenomenon and spawned four sequels, none of which can match this film's exuberance, charm and general swash buckling thrills and spills, even turning it's star Johnny Depp into box office gold.

Ignoring the sequels and just taking The Curse of the Black Pearl as a stand alone adventure film there's a lot to enthuse over, From the excellent sets and production values to Depp's standout turn as Captain Jack Sparrow, The Curse of the Black Pearl is exciting, feel good, escapist fun and a modern day throwback to the classic Errol Flynn films from days gone by...with added skeletal pirates of course.

I have an original double sided one sheet of the pre-release poster below. It's one of the favourites of my collection of original movie posters.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Pirates-Of-The-Caribbean-poster.jpg (94.3 KB, 6 views)
Old 12th August 2019, 01:42 PM
Cult King
Senior Moderator

Hidalgo (2004)

Period drama set in 1890 about how a cowboy and his Mustang take part in a grueling 3000 mile horse race across the deserts of the Middle East whilst pitted against the finest Arabian horses.

Based on a true story this is a thrilling tale fraught with endurance, hardship and exciting action sequences. Viggo Mortensen mumbles his way through scenes of dialogue dominated by Omar Sharif, but that doesn't matter once the race begins as we'll all fall in love with Hidalgo, Mortensen's beloved Mustang on it's treacherous journey through the spectacularly photographed deserts.

One of those films with a final scene almost guaranteed to bring a tear to the eye.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg hidalgoposter.jpg (90.7 KB, 6 views)
Old 12th August 2019, 01:58 PM
Cult Master

Quote:
Pirates of the Caribbean: The Curse of the Black Pearl (2003)

Gore Verbinski's first foray into Disney's sedate Pirates of the Caribbean theme park ride was a refreshing and fun adventure which veered into horror territory albeit with it's tongue firmly in it's cheek. In fact it proved a phenomenon and spawned four sequels, none of which can match this film's exuberance, charm and general swash buckling thrills and spills, even turning it's star Johnny Depp into box office gold.

Ignoring the sequels and just taking The Curse of the Black Pearl as a stand alone adventure film there's a lot to enthuse over, From the excellent sets and production values to Depp's standout turn as Captain Jack Sparrow, The Curse of the Black Pearl is exciting, feel good, escapist fun and a modern day throwback to the classic Errol Flynn films from days gone by...with added skeletal pirates of course.

I have an original double sided one sheet of the pre-release poster below. It's one of the favourites of my collection of original movie posters.
I have only ever seen the first film your making me want to watch the rest now.
Demdike@Cult Labs likes this.
Old 12th August 2019, 03:09 PM
Cult Veteran

Quote:

I was on board until you said Lamberto Bava, a hack if there ever was one

Triumphant sight on a northern sky

Old 12th August 2019, 03:14 PM
Cult Veteran
Good Trader

Quote:
Originally Posted by Justin101 View Post
I was on board until you said Lamberto Bava, a hack if there ever was one
Completely agree, I like Demons and Macabre, but every other film I’ve seen of his is boring crap, especially A Blade in the Dark

Certainly hasn’t inherited anything from his dad!
Justin101 and trebor8273 like this.
If I'm curt with you it's because time is a factor. I think fast, I talk fast and I need you guys to act fast if you wanna get out of this. So, pretty please... with sugar on top. Clean the ****ing car!
Old 12th August 2019, 08:45 PM
Cult Addict

Schramm
Lothar Schramm is on the floor dying after falling from a ladder, unable to shout for help he spends his final moments looking back on his life and his murders.
Not my favourite of Buttgereits work it still has something that kept me drawn to the screen, maybe it was just the non linear narrative, nevertheless it was still a fascinating watch.

Sent from my PRA-LX1 using Tapatalk
Old 12th August 2019, 09:52 PM
Cult Acolyte

Flatliners. A group of medical students embark on a reckless scheme to try and solve mankind's greatest mystery by inducing death and then returning... but they may not be prepared for the consequences. Kiefer Sutherland, Julia Roberts and Kevin Bacon star in this early 90s thriller that skirts the line between SF, mystery and pseudo-paranormal pseudo-ghost story. Still an enjoyable and effective film, with fine performances (particularly from Sutherland as the arrogant student leading the charge who may or may not have a death wish himself).
Old 13th August 2019, 04:19 PM
Seasoned Cultist

Devil Times Five(1974)

five psycho kids escape from a bus transfering them to a mental hospital after it crashes in the snow. and they end up terrorising the residents of a ski lodge who are on winter vacation.

Like the similar film Bloody Birthday, this is a slasher type film where it is the children who are the killers. and this one is equally nasty and mean spirited. with a naked woman killed in a bath by piranas, a woman covered in petrol and set alight and a chap killed by a scythe, and similar delights.

Acting is rather average, with a cast of pretty much unknowns, apart from some chap who was in the Dukes of Hazzard. and also a foxy Cheryl ladd lookalike.
But it is the kids who are the stars of the show, with one disguised as a nun, another with an obsession with fire, and a funny black chap who thinks he is in the army.

pretty decent overall, and well worth a look, despite the rather cheap feel to the film. 71 out of 100.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 40f0bc32186fb795e78e3665d1a35673f9224bac_00.jpg (18.2 KB, 7 views)

Like this? Share it using the links below!