Cult Labs

Go Back   Cult Labs > Film Discussions > General Film Discussions

Like Tree179037Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 19th August 2019, 01:54 AM
Cultist on the Rampage

Quote:
Originally Posted by Justin101 View Post
I've not seen either of the Dalton Bonds it pains me to say. I started going through the box set a while ago and got to Diamonds are Forever and decided to take a break before getting onto the Roger Moore films, but I got side tracked and stopped watching them. I think I'll pick them up again, perfect for a Saturday afternoon because I'm not going anywhere if this rain keeps up through tomorrow

Apart from a short bit where ninjas show up, Licence To Kill feels very much like an early precursor to the modern Daniel Craig era. It was ahead of it's time and it's also one of the very best Bond films imo.
Old 19th August 2019, 04:52 AM
Cult Acolyte

Once Upon a Time in Hollywood. An ageing movie star whose career is in decline and his best mate/stunt double/gopher careen blindly around the fairytale land of Hollywood in 1969, blissfully unaware of the danger that may soon be coming their - and their Hollywood next door neighbours, director Roman Polanski and his starlet wife Sharon Tate - way. Brad Pitt and Leonard DiCaprio star in the latest magnum opus from Quentin Tarantino, which I have to say, despite not being overly enthused by the trailer of, I thoroughly enjoyed and have to rank as the best film I've seen at the cinema so far this year. Hugely indulgent but enormously fun, and - despite what you might think/expect given some of the subject matter, and some tense scenes - probably the closest thing to an all-out comedy he's done. Whether it will stand up to repeat viewings I don't know - to be honest, pretty much none of his do for me bar Pulp Fiction - but this was enormous fun. Last month I saw Crawl, which was like 87 minutes and felt like three hours. This is nearly 3 hours but felt much shorter. Great stuff.
Old 19th August 2019, 03:03 PM
Cult King
Cult Labs Radio Contributor
Senior Moderator

House of 9 (2004)

A group of people including Dennis Hopper, Peter Capaldi, Suzie Amy, Ashley Walters and Kelly Brook are locked in what appears to be a large mansion house and told only one of them will leave but with a reward of $5m.

Despite being interesting this is actually Saw lite in a Big Brother set up. Focusing on the characters and how they interact with one another the film is basically a character study for the first hour then a violent(ish) horror survival game in the last third. The house set is pretty cool and on the whole the acting is decent.

The sort of film that no matter how preposterously things play out you'll want to see the final reel to see who survives and what happens to them and to be honest the final scene of House of 9 is actually really good.

I doubt i'll be watching at again though.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 220px-House_of_nine.jpg (25.1 KB, 4 views)
Old 19th August 2019, 03:21 PM
Cult King
Senior Moderator

Dracula A.D. 1972 (1972)

Despite being at odds with the earlier Hammer Dracula films continuity wise, Alan Gibson's film brings the famed vampire and arch nemesis Van Helsing kicking and screaming into contemporary London.

Featuring bloody black masses and groovy sounds this is a product of it's time but it does feature the best showdown between Christopher Lee's Dracula and Peter Cushing's Van Helsing in a frantic finale.

I really need to compose a proper review for this film.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Draculaad1972.jpg (28.1 KB, 4 views)
Old 19th August 2019, 03:23 PM
Seasoned Cultist

The Pit(1981)

A 12 year old boy called jamie, is the town outcast and has no friends apart from his teddy bear who is possessed and talks to him.
and has found a secret pit in the woods where a bunch of trolls live that enjoy eating human meat.

This was a lot of fun indeed and is one very original and out there film. Sammy Snyders does a superb job as the disturbed jamie who is a sex mad loner lusting after his babysitter, and killing off all the people who have wronged him by feeding them to the trolls in the pit.

certainly different, and with a comedy element too, especially when he pushes an old girl into the pit in her wheelchair.
great fun, and proving that you can make an interesting film on a low budget.

One thing i didn't get though was how nobody had ever discovered his friends in the woods until he did. but a solid 80 out of 100.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg the-pit-1-1024x556.jpg (86.1 KB, 4 views)
Old 19th August 2019, 05:40 PM
Seasoned Cultist

HI GUYS, re watched Huate Tension,still love it,and also for the 1st time John Carpenters "Assault On Precent 13", great film.
tempted on the re make now!?
Old 19th August 2019, 09:58 PM
Cult Veteran
Good Trader

Tarantino's first film, even being his first film he still puts a lot of directors to shame and is a master at dialogue and it's easy to see his love of pop culture and cinema . We also have a killer soundtrack like most of his films. Never has a torture scene been so unnerving without actually seeing anything . 8.5/10

Tarantinos magnum opus and the film that helped revitalise John Travolta career. Amazing acting all-around, fantastic characters , killer soundtrack, some of the best dialogue to grace the silver screen. A true classic. 10/10

Now watching See no evil.
Old 19th August 2019, 10:01 PM
Cult Veteran
Good Trader

Pulp Fiction is my favourite film of all time, hence my signature
If I'm curt with you it's because time is a factor. I think fast, I talk fast and I need you guys to act fast if you wanna get out of this. So, pretty please... with sugar on top. Clean the ****ing car!
Old 19th August 2019, 10:01 PM
Cult Veteran
Good Trader

Blood From The Mummy's Tomb 1971.

An archaeological dig bring back the sarcophagus of an Egyptian queen which slowly posses the daughter of one of the men.

This is not the best film by hammer horror studios, Andrew Kier (Quatermass) plays the leader of the expedition Feuchs who uncovers the tomb. James Villiers (For Your Eyes Only) plays Corbeck, who seems to want to awaken Queen Tera. Valerie Leon (Carry on Movies) plays the dual role of the possessed daughter Margaret and Tera.

Based on the novel The Jewel of Seven stars by Bram Stoker, the film seems to drag on very slowly and very little suspense, there isn't any dark gothic/atmosphere that's usually suited with Hammer. There is some delightful colours associated with Egypt, Hieroglyphics and paintings of the tomb gods, the only real good moments were from Valerie Leon. 4-5 out of 10.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg blood from the mummys tomb 02.jpg (44.6 KB, 6 views)
Old 20th August 2019, 06:43 PM
Cult Veteran
Good Trader

Surprisingly enjoyable horror from WWE films. A group juvenile delinquents are sent to clean up a old hotel little realising a psycho killer ( played by wrestler Kane) believed to be dead , is hiding out. Soon he sets his sights upon the teens. Some gruesome deaths and watching annoying America teens die brutally never grows old. 7/10

My Tarantino marathon continues with Jackie Brown.

Like this? Share it using the links below!