Cult Labs

Go Back   Cult Labs > Film Discussions > General Film Discussions

Like Tree179015Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 9th September 2019, 03:33 PM
Cultist on the Rampage

I've just managed to "shoehorn" a couple of movies into lulls in the unrellenting, self-imposed, barrage of "One Piece" episodes (on episode 108 with only 2 zillion left)!

"Man-Thing" (2005). MARVEL's spin on "Swamp Thing" (1982, honest, I looked it up). It seems like I watched this film an age ago but I must be mis-remembering. Another "false memory" is that it was a total pile of soggy excrement! I did and it wasn't! Okay, it won't win any awards for acting, special effects or, even, best donut fetcher but it was far and away better than I remember (I think I must've been watching out of one eye through a fog of alcohol fumes)! I enjoyed the nonsense, the violence and the swearing, and, as it began with a pair of naked breasts, I almost forgot that it was a MARVEL movie! 7/5

"Overlord" (2018). The D-Day Landings are in peril of utter failure unless a radio tower, housed in the church spire of a small, rural French village, is destroyed. Little does the American G.I. troop, sent to accomplish this feat, know about the evil experiments being conducted in catacombs beneath the church. Some good ideas in this film, the riff on superhuman soldiers and the "Thousand Year Reich" included, but it doesn't quite reach the visceral "heights" gained by "Frankenstein's Army" (2013). Having said that, it did make a welcome change from the antics of "Monkey D. Luffy and his Straw-Hat Pirates"!
A well-earned 10/6 just for being topical.

Monster Magnet
Old 9th September 2019, 06:37 PM
Cult Addict

It Chapter 2
The losers club returns to Derry to battle against Pennywise after he reawakens.
While it certainly lacks the tension of the first film it is still works for the most part. Bill Skarsgard is great as Pennywise and the cast playing the losers were great. The length wasn't even an issue. Just a shame it lacked the tension building that the initial movie had (until the ****ing jump scares).
Also no gangbang wtf?

Last edited by bleakshaun; 9th September 2019 at 07:32 PM.
Old 9th September 2019, 08:38 PM
Cult Veteran
Good Trader

Dr Jekyll and Mr Hyde 1931.

Dr Henry Jekyll faces consequences when his dark side manifests itself in the form of Mr Edward Hyde after drinking a potion.

Frederic March takes on the dual role of Jekyll and Hyde brilliantly, not quite close to the source novel but still a bit eerie and tense as the novel was. The camera work at the start was great as we see the character in his point of view playing the piano, as he seems to be a happy person and questioning his own hidden madness and dark ideas.

The camera shots are well done as well as the slow transformation scene for the first time and March looking awkwardly and uncomfortable at the same time speaking as Hyde. There is some minor violence but limited and at the time questionable on how far the boundaries can be pushed. Well worth a watch and best viewed in the dark due to the lighting used.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg HydeWith Brew.jpg (30.9 KB, 3 views)
Old 9th September 2019, 08:59 PM
Cult Veteran
Good Trader

A homage too those alien invasion b movies of the 50s with added teeth and gore . A meteorite crashes outside a small town and a creature emerges and sets about gobbling up the people living in a house, some great gore and unintentionally funny scenes. 8/10

Die Hard on a ship. A deranged ex CIA( Tommy Lee Jones) operate takes over USS Missouri with the help of its first officer ( Gary Busey) and sell its nukes to the highest bidder. Unlucky for them but luckily for the crew this ships cook is more than he appears to be . One the Seagals best. It's is strange to see Busey not the craziest person in the room. 9/10

Now watching Dark Angel.
Old 10th September 2019, 07:51 PM
Cult Addict

Deep Blue Sea 2
A shark conservationist heads to a secret lab to discover a pharmaceutical billionaire has upped the intelligence of bullsharks. They get out and shit goes down.
This came out of the blue, it was alright but frankly the original was better bit gorier but nothing else. Looks more like an asylum shark movie than anything else. Probably the reason why Warner Bros cynically made this up.

Sent from my PRA-LX1 using Tapatalk
Old 10th September 2019, 11:19 PM
Cult Veteran
Good Trader

Banana splits

Don't get exactly what people expect from a film about a kids tv show from the 70s, people dressed up costumes as silly animals was hardly going to be a classic.
It was clearly a film done with a decent enough budget it was silly fun, and enjoyable.
Every now and again a film comes along that sparks a generation films done in that style, I think this was done right to extent it'll probably open a new generation off films turning kids tv shows into silly horror style.
Old 11th September 2019, 12:04 AM
Cult Veteran
Good Trader

Quote:
Originally Posted by gag View Post
Banana splits

Don't get exactly what people expect from a film about a kids tv show from the 70s, people dressed up costumes as silly animals was hardly going to be a classic.
It was clearly a film done with a decent enough budget it was silly fun, and enjoyable.
Every now and again a film comes along that sparks a generation films done in that style, I think this was done right to extent it'll probably open a new generation off films turning kids tv shows into silly horror style.
Rainbow next!
Demoncrat, keirarts and troggi like this.
Old 11th September 2019, 11:44 AM
Cult Veteran
Good Trader

Once Upon A Time In Hollywood

Once in a while I do go to the pictures. To escape the heat, we wandered into a screening of this offering from the man who steals from everything he watches. Without delving into too much detail, it certainly made me laugh, whilst the drink I had had beforehand meant that the first hour sorted of "drifted" past me, it did rally to hold my attention. It's a love letter of sorts really. And he's not in it . Ahem. Not what you expected? Neither is the film.

[B]
"... the days ahead will be filled with struggle ... and coated in marzipan ... "[/B]
Old 11th September 2019, 01:12 PM
Cult King
Cult Labs Radio Contributor
Senior Moderator

The Leopard Man (1943)

Not producer Val Lewton's nor director Jacques Tourneur's best film by any stretch of the imagination but it does have it's moments.

Chiefly when a gypsy girl is forcibly locked outside and then attacked by an unseen assailant, believed to be the mythical leopard man, we then see her blood flow under the door and into the house. It's really well done and rather creepy.

Hideaway (1995)

A confusing muddle of a film. Jeff Goldblum is difficult to like or indeed care for, and the film lacks any sort of suspense or shocks.

Some 80's style (not so) special effect dream like sequences occasionally blow away the boredom but on the whole this was a turgid, lumpen mess.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 4347209945_859b835060.jpg (63.6 KB, 4 views)
File Type: jpg Hideaway_film.jpg (13.4 KB, 4 views)
Old 11th September 2019, 09:24 PM
Cult King
Cult Labs Radio Contributor
Senior Moderator

According to my Letterboxd diary i've seen 365 films* so far this year.

That's one a day. Everything else to come is a bonus.

*(I've seen more than that i just can't be arsed or forget to write reviews for everything)

Like this? Share it using the links below!