Go Back   Cult Labs > Film Discussions > General Film Discussions
All AlbumsBlogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Like Tree179616Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 21st September 2019, 07:42 PM
Cult Veteran
Good Trader

Teen Witch (1989)

Look, I know I isn't the target audience. But still. Dance numbers in a high school locker room. Joshua Miller. Zelda R camping it up regally. Execrable white "rappin'"

[B]
"... the days ahead will be filled with struggle ... and coated in marzipan ... "[/B]
Old 21st September 2019, 10:14 PM
Cult Acolyte

The Dead Pool. When celebrities start getting offed in the order of a macabre "dead pool" betting list, "Dirty" Harry Callahan is soon on the case - and less than thrilled to find he's also on the list. Clint Eastwood stars in the 5th and final Dirty Harry movie from 1988. Harry's not getting any younger, and he's not getting any less cranky either - but he still knows how to take out the trash. This late 80s action movie is very silly and a long way from the uber-grittiness of the original early 70s Dirty Harry film, but it's still a lot of fun. A young Liam Neeson is an arrogant film director who may either be the killer or the killer's obsession, and there's even a small early role for Jim Carrey - credited as James Carrey - as a drugged-out rock star who winds up the killer's first victim. The standout scene has got to be one of cinema's oddest car chases, as Harry's vehicle is pursued through the streets of San Francisco by a small remote-controlled toy car - loaded with explosives. Fun.
Old 21st September 2019, 10:51 PM
Cult King
Cult Labs Radio Contributor
Senior Moderator

The Old Man and the Gun (2018)

Charming crime movie that tells the (mostly) true story of Forrest Tucker from his daring prison escape aged 70 to an unprecedented string of bank robberies that confounded the law.

82 year old Robert Redford is excellent as Tucker and heads a fine cast (Casey Affleck, Sissy Spacek, Danny Glover, Tom Waits, Elisabeth Moss) in this rather sedate take on the heist movie genre.

The film is as much about the performances as it is the story though and with these what i call 'real' actors it's easy to get involved in the film, in their reality, in fact it's so easy it's effortless.

For what was supposedly Robert Redford's final acting job before retirement it's a fitting swan song.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 61KDooTDTAL._SY606_.jpg (15.9 KB, 5 views)
Old 21st September 2019, 10:55 PM
Cultist on the Rampage

World War Z. Not read the book its based on, so i won't get into how much it does or doesn't do it justice. A high budget zombie movie, great! Except if you go into it expecting a zombie horror movie, complete with grue, dismemberment, and stupid decisions, you'll be disappointed - it has that, but in a more off-camera 15 certificate friendly kind of way. Basically it's an actiony pandemic thriller that happens to have a pathogen turn people into zombies. Reconcile yourself to that and its a decent thrill-ride through monsoon military bases, walled Jerusalem and dreary, erm, Wales.

Third time watching this i think and it still passes muster - as long as you're not expecting a horror film.
Old 21st September 2019, 11:00 PM
Cult King
Cult Labs Radio Contributor
Senior Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Deadite View Post
World War Z. Not read the book its based on, so i won't get into how much it does or doesn't do it justice. A high budget zombie movie, great! Except if you go into it expecting a zombie horror movie, complete with grue, dismemberment, and stupid decisions, you'll be disappointed - it has that, but in a more off-camera 15 certificate friendly kind of way. Basically it's an actiony pandemic thriller that happens to have a pathogen turn people into zombies. Reconcile yourself to that and its a decent thrill-ride through monsoon military bases, walled Jerusalem and dreary, erm, Wales.

Third time watching this i think and it still passes muster - as long as you're not expecting a horror film.
Gets three stars from me purely for a certain Scottish actor's cast credit -

WHO doctor - Peter Capaldi
iank and Deadite like this.
Old 22nd September 2019, 12:31 PM
Seasoned Cultist

Death Carries a cane(1973)

Kitty(nieves navarro) is waiting for her boyfriend and while she is looking through a telescope spots a woman being knifed to death in an apartment by a maniac in a black hat and raincoat. and afterwards there are more murders and Kitty thinks that she will be next.

Though nothing outstanding in the genre, this is still a decent enough watch with a few good murders and a bit of nudity thrown in, even if director Maurizio pradeaux is no Dario argento in the suspense and atmosphere department.
Robert hoffman, the chap out of Spasmo, also gives a decent turn as kittys boyfriend who could be implicated in the murders. and Simon Andreu from Blood Spattered bride has a small role too.

Well worth a watch for giallo fans. 69 out of 100.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg death-carries-a-cane-1973-3.jpg (60.7 KB, 3 views)
Old 22nd September 2019, 04:01 PM
Cult Veteran
Good Trader

Pets (1973)

Now whom was this made for I wonder?
Just your average girl runs foul of several sleazoid types kinda yarn. If only the Jesus had been at the helm. As it's a bit ... Californian. That nice Ed Straker turns up being horrid. Recommended.

[B]
"... the days ahead will be filled with struggle ... and coated in marzipan ... "[/B]
Old 22nd September 2019, 07:33 PM
Cult Veteran
Good Trader

A group of astronauts who think they are going to be the first men on mars ,are surprised when the countdown is stopped and they are good that the landing is going to faked. They are suspicious but have little choice and are forced to go along with it,elsewhere a reporter begins to doubt the legitimacy of the mars mission, as the mission nears its end the astronauts have out lived there usefulness and are going to be killed but managed to escape. Enjoyed it but I couldn't help laugh at the final scene which Gould and Brolin are running in slow motion with goofy grins , I really expected Brolin to be shouting chase me! Chase me 7/10

One of Martin's most iconic roles as Nathan Johnson the son of a poor black family who discovers he is white and sets out to discover the world finding love and riches and losing both on his journey. 9/10

Now watching what we left behind. The story of deep space nine.

Last edited by trebor8273; 22nd September 2019 at 07:51 PM.
Old 22nd September 2019, 09:18 PM
Active Cultist

Hell Fest : it's the Funhouse in steroids (or with a bigger budget) - it's just a normal slasher movie, with the usual stupid teens, and the unknown killer - I have a weak spot for slasher movies, so I will recommend this movie - and it's on netflix make it even easier.

47 Meters Down

I had high hopes for this one, heard some good things, like "the Jaws is back" , "best movie since Ghost Shark" etc etc - but it's just boring, you never really feel any suspense during the scenes that the sharks are around, doesn't help all of them being done with cheap special effects, you don't really care if the two girls die or live . Boring, waste of time
Old 22nd September 2019, 09:35 PM
Cult Veteran
Good Trader

Documentary about the making of deep space nine and what the show meant to those in front and behind the camera. It's interesting to see what started as the ginger step child of star trek ( was interesting to see the letters the producers got say it wasn't star trek and how much people hated it) to what become for many games including me the best of all the shows. We also had a look of what could of been a eighth season set 20 years later, we looked awesome from the idea showing for the first episode. This also make we want deep space nine out on blu ray, as we have some scenes from the show that have been giving the HD treatment , the battle scenes from the final episode look amazing in HD. Jeffrey Coombs is a surprisingly good singer. Well worth a watch for fans of the show. 9/10

Like this? Share it using the links below!