Go Back   Cult Labs > Film Discussions > General Film Discussions

Like Tree179038Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 22nd September 2019, 09:44 PM
Cult King
Cult Labs Radio Contributor
Senior Moderator

A Bridge Too Far (1977)

The last of the great all star ensemble epics, A Bridge Too Far tells the story of Operation Market Garden. The Allied forces plan to parachute thousands into Holland and take the Rhine bridges of Nijmegan, Eindhoven and most famously Arnhem in a bid to move into Germany on two fronts.

Richard Attenborough directs with an attention to detail that gives the film an almost documentary style, whilst the methodical approach doesn't really allow any moments of great tension the film still has great re-watch value thanks to it's epic scale and cast of thousands.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 61TtvZv4bML.jpg (79.9 KB, 5 views)
Old 22nd September 2019, 11:13 PM
Cultist on the Rampage

"Moon" (2009) A little slow but what can you do with only 2 (3?) characters to bounce off. "Moon" ends up tweaking a whole gamut of feelings while you watch, sometimes all at the same time. The much maligned Kevin Spacey is on top monotone form as "Gerty" and Sam Rockwell is just wonderful, as "Sam Bell" he manages to make you believe in the character, his dilemma and his ultimate solution! I have to say that I will definitely be re-watching this downplayed gem again (and again, probably)

23.7/2

Monster Magnet
Old 23rd September 2019, 05:57 PM
Cult Veteran
Good Trader

Brightburn

Along with Upgrade, the sequel should be something ahem.
When a couple who are trying to conceive find literally a gift from above, their troubles are over?
Well until puberty that is ....
As origin stories go, it's neither betterer or worse than any other. Recommended.

The Unnameable (1988, Jean-Paul Ouiellette)

Lovecraft goes through the ringer again. For all that, twas enjoyable enough, due to one character and his dialogue . Creature decent enough if bipedal.

[B]
"... the days ahead will be filled with struggle ... and coated in marzipan ... "[/B]
Old 23rd September 2019, 08:18 PM
Cult Veteran
Good Trader

The Dark Within (2019, David Ryan Keith)

Well, it's better than his last attempt.
Though it may remind some slightly of certain other cabin based flicks, I enjoyed this. Apparently we are getting a sequel ... to the last effort. Hopefully his issues with pacing have been resolved

[B]
"... the days ahead will be filled with struggle ... and coated in marzipan ... "[/B]
Old 23rd September 2019, 09:09 PM
Cult Acolyte

American Pie: The Wedding. Jim and Michelle are getting married. What could possibly go wrong? The third of the original AP trilogy is pretty much the same as ever, and as with the first two, is at is best (and funniest) when it just allow the characters to breathe as opposed to shoving them into the gross-out set-pieces that, as with almost all of today's Hollywood "comedies", just aren't funny.
Old 23rd September 2019, 09:22 PM
Cult Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by iank View Post
American Pie: The Wedding. Jim and Michelle are getting married. What could possibly go wrong? The third of the original AP trilogy is pretty much the same as ever, and as with the first two, is at is best (and funniest) when it just allow the characters to breathe as opposed to shoving them into the gross-out set-pieces that, as with almost all of today's Hollywood "comedies", just aren't funny.
My favourite of the franchise.

Sent from my SM-G960F using Tapatalk
trebor8273, troggi and MrBarlow like this.
Old 24th September 2019, 06:56 AM
Cult Veteran
Good Trader

Can I just add at this juncture that I haven't seen any of these either?
Mainly because I didn't wanna
troggi likes this.

[B]
Old 24th September 2019, 08:58 AM
Cult Veteran

Spider Baby (1967)

RIP Sid

Triumphant sight on a northern sky

Old 24th September 2019, 04:26 PM
Cult King
Senior Moderator

Due to the fact that October will be a month of horror all the way i try and inject September with other types of films; hence my watching of things like Weird Science, The Inbetweeners, The Hairdressers Husband and American Graffiti among others in my normal horror movie watching slot.

As i'm currently not on any tv series binge i selected two comedies from my collection that i've only seen a single time, and shock horror... unwittingly i selected... An Ashton Kutcher double bill.

Just Married (2003)

Kind of a teen movie twist on the classic screwball comedy, Kutcher stars as the uncultured new husband of rich kid Brittany Murphy, whose parents disapprove of her choice of husband.

The bulk of the film is the pair on a whirlwind honeymoon around Europe which plays out as largely unfunny vignettes in glamorous European locations - Venice, the Alps - that kind of thing - ina bid to prove her parents wrong.

Despite both leads being enthusiastic, especially Murphy who at times is a joy to watch, Just Married is a by the numbers, charmless affair which whilst certainly not unwatchable is never something i'd ever recommend.

Whereas What Happens in Vegas (2008) is a superior viewing experience all round.

In this Kutcher plays a slacker who goes to Vegas to let off steam following being fired at work (By his father), whilst there he drunkenly meets Cameron Diaz (In Vegas to let off steam after being dumped at her engagement party). The next thing we know the pair are married and Kutcher has won $3m on a slot machine... using a coin given to him by Diaz.

What follows is a game of one-upmanship as Kutcher and Diaz have to prove to a judge that their marriage is not a swizz as they both try to get their hands on the money. The problem is they hate each other.

Thankfully both Kutcher and Diaz tone it down a bit after the initial Vegas antics and the film turns into the screwball comedy that Just Married wanted to be. The pair have good chemistry and Rob Gondry and Lake Bells' supporting characters are fun to boot, so while at times it's a bit daft it also has several laughs along the way and a story that allows you to want them to predictably fall in love as their wonky and argumentative relationship develops.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Just_Married_(2003_film).jpg (21.8 KB, 5 views)
File Type: jpg What_happens_in_vegas.jpg (21.8 KB, 5 views)
Old 24th September 2019, 06:13 PM
Cult Veteran
Good Trader

When The Wind Blows 1986.

Jim and Hilda, an elderly couple prepare themselves when war breaks out, after surviving WWII, they think they can survive this war.

From Raymond Briggs who gave us The Snowman decides to traumatise us with this tale of nuclear war survival. Sir John Mills and Peggy Ashcroft play the elderly couple who use pamphlets to help survive a new kind of war. This is one of those cartoons that you wish had a happy laughing end instead has you questioning on what you have watched, this is on the same length of The Day After (1983) and Threads (1984) it does stick with you for long time.

Like this? Share it using the links below!