Cult Labs

Go Back   Cult Labs > Film Discussions > General Film Discussions

Like Tree179473Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 24th September 2019, 10:45 PM
Cult Veteran
Good Trader

Eyes Without A Face (Les Yeux Sans Visage) 1960.

After his daughter is scarred by an accident, the doctor kidnaps young girls and takes their skin to give his daughter a new face.

Georges Fraju's vision into madness and isolation is brought together in this dark tale of the length a father would go to give his daughter a perfect new face. Pierre Brasseur's portrayal as the doctor is quite haunting in parts as he can be seen as someone who has a caring side but also a dark side. Alida Valli plays Louise who had help by the doctor and aides him in his ploy to get skin.
Edith Scob plays the young daughter Christiane, locked away in isolation wearing a mask.

The film starts off decent but seems to go slow and drag on but at the same time it's interesting and not to let you take your eyes off the screen. Maurice Jarre provides a great background score which makes some moments in the film very tense and a intriguing way to the horror of madness. Recommended
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 61K0BkPRJ9L._SY679_.jpg (48.1 KB, 6 views)
Old 25th September 2019, 09:31 AM
Cult Acolyte

4b8869b0b46289d3f26fa7eeeb156b76--vintage-movie-posters-vintage-movies.jpg
CANADIAN MOUNTIES VS ATOMIC INVADERS (1953)
REPUBLIC SERIAL 12 CHAPTERS

Don't be misled by the title. This is no alien invasion serial.
Mountie Don Roberts has his hand full trying to stop villains from building a missile launch base so they can attack cities in the U.S
Plenty of punch ups, usually Don taking on two guys by himself in explosive cliffhangers.
The villain of the serial is Marloff. A useless boss who spends his time undercover in a cabin talking on his radio and forever keeps talking about "My country". What his country is, is never revealed but he stays in his cabin and sends his henchmen out each episode only to have them fail in their schemes and then scolds them for failure. "My country must have the missile launch base ready for the attack on the U.S cities". We get this every episode in case we missed it.
Anyway, it's good fun but lower on budget, as at this time movie serials were coming to an end.
Old 25th September 2019, 09:52 AM
Cult Veteran
Cult Labs Radio Contributor

WarGames (1983)

As some of you may know from another thread I'm currently reading Ready Player One which is a fantastic love letter to the 80s. A pivotal scene in the book centres around Matthew Broderick and WarGames, it was such a good chapter that I dragged my copy of the film out and watched it again.

American cold war teen-thriller with an anti-war stance that seems quite out of place with Reagan's America that's exciting and action packed!

I've not watched this for a while, and the first thing which struck me was how young Broderick looked so I checked his Wiki page and he was 21 when made this, and therefore 24 when he was Ferris to say I was surprised in an understatement lol

Oh yeah, Ally Sheedy was cute too (also 21.., also surprised!).

Triumphant sight on a northern sky

Old 25th September 2019, 11:38 AM
Active Cultist

The 3rd Avengers movie, oh wait it's another Spiderman movie but they spend so much time promoting the avengers for a moment I though this was the wrong movie.. Boring, took me 3 days to finish.

RIP Comic book movies.
Old 25th September 2019, 02:37 PM
Cult Acolyte

Ongoing mystery.. How the hell do Kate O Mara's boobs stay in those tops in Horror Of Frankenstein? It's incredible!

Old 25th September 2019, 02:39 PM
Cult Veteran

Double sided sticky tape

Triumphant sight on a northern sky

Old 25th September 2019, 02:40 PM
Cult Acolyte

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dave Boy View Post

Ongoing mystery.. How the hell do Kate O Mara's boobs stay in those tops in Horror Of Frankenstein? It's incredible!

same way I keep mine in cellotape...

Old 25th September 2019, 03:06 PM
Cult King
Senior Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dave Boy View Post

Quote:
Originally Posted by Justin101 View Post
Double sided sticky tape
And someone gets paid to do this.

I am definitely in the wrong job.
Old 25th September 2019, 03:27 PM
Cult Acolyte

.. More like Superglue to keep those in!
Old 25th September 2019, 07:00 PM
Cult Veteran
Good Trader

The Thing From Another World 1951.

Air force officials and scientists discover a spacecraft buried in the Arctic and discover a frozen pilot. When the pilot is thawed out all hell breaks loose and a fight for survival begins.

This movie still holds up after 68 years, with the dark moody atmosphere, tension and suspense, James Arness as The Thing, his movements seem minimum but face expression is more than enough to creep people out, the opening sequence and background score was great. Even the cast made it believable that they were being stalked by an unknown creature and none of the daft acting from the 50s.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg thing-from-another-world-warner-archive.jpg (20.9 KB, 6 views)

Like this? Share it using the links below!