Cult Labs

Go Back   Cult Labs > Film Discussions > General Film Discussions

Like Tree179038Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 10th November 2019, 10:23 AM
Cult Veteran
Good Trader

Unnecessary sequels? Like 3 From Hell you mean ?

Tbh Shark Exorcist was more enjoyable than the one I watched last night. Twas very video gameish at points ... and nae in a good way either.
Next!!!

[B]
"... the days ahead will be filled with struggle ... and coated in marzipan ... "[/B]
Old 10th November 2019, 10:53 AM
Cult Acolyte

april-fools-day-1986-movie-poster.jpg
APRIL FOOL'S DAY (1986)

Yeah.. well. I thought I would have another look at this movie as I have not seen it in many years. I thought it was terrible then, and now.. Ugh !
After you have seen this film once you see what a total waste of time the whole thing is. You get to that point and..
I checked it out again because Scream Factory have a Blu ray out next year.
Nah, not for me this one.
Old 10th November 2019, 12:54 PM
Cultist on the Rampage

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dave Boy View Post
Attachment 220783
APRIL FOOL'S DAY (1986)

Yeah.. well. I thought I would have another look at this movie as I have not seen it in many years. I thought it was terrible then, and now.. Ugh !
After you have seen this film once you see what a total waste of time the whole thing is. You get to that point and..
I checked it out again because Scream Factory have a Blu ray out next year.
Nah, not for me this one.
I've got it too, sits next to the Prom Night set in the loft, although I've never loved then, think I'll take another look. Definately not blu ray upgrade material though.
Old 10th November 2019, 07:23 PM
Cult King
Cult Labs Radio Contributor
Senior Moderator

Hands of the Ripper (1971)

Angharad Rees plays the daughter of Jack the Ripper who becomes possessed by his spirit and goes on a killing spree.

The script is more psychological horror than stalk and slash film, the film observes how Rees becomes afflicted from childhood memories of witnessing her father murder her mother. Eric Porter plays the psychologist attempting to break through the girls possession and prevent her doing her father's will.

Whilst a good film, the script suffers from lack of incident, the bulk of the running time seemingly being taken up by discussion. This wouldn't be a bad thing except the cast, Rees and Porter aside, are not in the least bit interesting. Porter played Professor Moriarty in the ITV series of Sherlock Holmes, and it is that series the film most resembles. Having Jeremy Brett play Sherlock Holmes would have been a big help here. Jane Merrow and Keith Bell are instantly forgettable despite having sizable roles. It's probable that director Peter Sasdy went for a more thought provoking film than a basic slasher, and it's clear from this and the following years Demons of the Mind that Hammer were trying something different from the usual vampire and Frankenstein films. Does this new approach work? Personally i don't think so as both films lacked basically a Cushing and or Lee to add gravitas. Hammer's best Ripper type film in my opinion came the following year with the wonderfully off beat Dr Jekyll and Sister Hyde.

The sets and costume design are as always wonderful, always a strong point of any Hammer film and the finale filmed on the Whispering Gallery at St Paul's Cathedral is certainly memorable however the high points of the film for me are Roy Ashton's gory make up effects. The knifing of the maid Dolly is a particular highlight and is one of Hammer's most iconic murder scenes. The knife protruding from her neck is very bloody for a 1971 Gothic potboiler.

I also watched it with the commentary from Angharad Rees along with experts Kim Newman and Stephen Jones - an entertaining listen and watch which was probably as good as the film itself.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg r (3).jpg (70.6 KB, 4 views)
Old 10th November 2019, 07:26 PM
Cult Veteran
Cult Labs Radio Contributor

Dead & Buried (1981)

One from the the... "no, I've never seen it" pile. Not sure why I picked it today but I did. I'm surprised this hasn't been re-released in the UK since Anchor Bay shut down, this is perfect Arrow Video material!

This one feels pretty sinister, newcomers into a coastal town get bumped off by a gang of locals who snap photos and record the murders, only a few days later and the dead people appear in the town as new residents. Local Sheriff starts getting a bit suspicious and investigates, uncovering truths he wishes he had left alone!

Enjoyable 80s horror film which has a bit of a Twilight Zone-esque storyline. Not brilliant by any means but good and even gave me a couple of jumps I wasn't expecting

Triumphant sight on a northern sky

Old 10th November 2019, 07:33 PM
Cult Veteran
Good Trader

Quote:
Originally Posted by Justin101 View Post
Dead & Buried (1981)

One from the the... "no, I've never seen it" pile. Not sure why I picked it today but I did. I'm surprised this hasn't been re-released in the UK since Anchor Bay shut down, this is perfect Arrow Video material!

This one feels pretty sinister, newcomers into a coastal town get bumped off by a gang of locals who snap photos and record the murders, only a few days later and the dead people appear in the town as new residents. Local Sheriff starts getting a bit suspicious and investigates, uncovering truths he wishes he had left alone!

Enjoyable 80s horror film which has a bit of a Twilight Zone-esque storyline. Not brilliant by any means but good and even gave me a couple of jumps I wasn't expecting
I think this is a under rated gem. Way its potraid has the got the atmosphere to it as well.
Demoncrat likes this.
Old 10th November 2019, 07:57 PM
Cultist on the Rampage

Hollow Man

My least favourite Verhoven movie (and yes, he did Showgirls but that became campy fun!), I always wanted to like this but it was just SO TALKY!!!!

Kevin Bacon is the mad scientist who has discovered a way to make animals invisible, needless to say he tries said formula on himself, and instead of it "sending him stark raving mad" like the FAAAAR superior Claude Rains version, he just gets a bit lonely & feels up/pervs/rapes his way through the movie.

Sadly there's not much to it, and is very plain but everyone involved does try & sell it.....alas, still not great after 19 years. The 88 release is missing the verhoven/bacon commentary from the dvd, and I really don't like the artwork (I'll stop moaning soon!) And I have Hollow Man 2 ahead (Hey kids! It's in HD! Maybe you CAN polish a turd!)

3/10
Old 10th November 2019, 09:11 PM
Cult Veteran
Good Trader

Dead & Buried is a small wonder imho. Showing more imagination etc etc. Bears reappraisal J
Justin101 and nosferatu42 like this.

[B]
"... the days ahead will be filled with struggle ... and coated in marzipan ... "[/B]
Old 10th November 2019, 09:19 PM
Cult Veteran
Good Trader

Bloody Friday (1972)

German set polizzioteschi (? Oooh I never spell it right )
A ginger maniac coerces others into his cwazy get rich quick scheme. Lawdy it's violent. Some whizzo driving and all, no speeding the film up this time cough. The dubbing adds another layer of entertainment, as they all seem-a to be on-a the quaaludes
Recommended. To fans of this genre ahem.

[B]
Old 10th November 2019, 09:41 PM
Active Cultist

Quote:
Originally Posted by gag View Post
Why not after all there about 5 6 sharknado films, and loads of stupid shark films .
Here 10 .

Stupid shark films seem to be the in thing for about 10yrs, probably a tadge longer .

https://www.digitalspy.com/movies/a7...o-ghost-shark/
9. Ghost Shark 2: Urban Jaws (2013)

The debates will range until the end of time about which movie sequels are better than the originals, and here's another to file under The Godfather Part II and The Empire Strikes Back. Just when you thought it was safe to get back in the ocean - if you really ever thought that - along comes another ghost shark.

Ghost shark 1 it's a classic, I'm a proud owner of the blu ray- it's not every day you see a shark coming out of a paper cup

Like this? Share it using the links below!