Cult Labs

Go Back   Cult Labs > Film Discussions > General Film Discussions

Like Tree179038Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 10th November 2019, 09:48 PM
Cult Veteran
Good Trader

One Flew Over The Cuckoo's Nest 1975.

a man with a criminal past is sent to a psychiatry hospital, there he leads the other patients to rebel against the head nurse.

A really great movie that shows how unpredictable mental health patients can be and how the medical care can treat them in a society that's almost understanding of the new techniques treating mental health. Jack Nicholson's portrayal as newcomer McMurphy who seems sane and trying not to do prison again, uses his way of playing up and distracting the way the balance is ndone in therapy group. Danny Devito, Christopher Lloyd, Will Sampson, Scatman Crothers stars along side and Louise Fletcheras the head Nurse Ratched who has somewhat of a calm demeanour until provoked. There is nothing else that can be said that hasn't be said before always will be a classic film.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg one-flew-over-the-cuckoos-nest-movie-poster.jpg (64.9 KB, 5 views)
Old 10th November 2019, 10:11 PM
Cult Addict

The King
King Henry the Fifth becomes king, goes to war with France.
Robert Pattinson doing a French accent and talking about small dicks gives you shivers. It killed time that's for sure. Not brilliant but definitely not shit

Sent from my PRA-LX1 using Tapatalk
Old 10th November 2019, 10:57 PM
Cult Veteran
Good Trader

Mother's Day 1980.

3 college girls take a trip to the woods and are kidnapped by two boys, who take them home and torture them to please their loving mother.

Not the best 80s film, its something that was probably original back then but now it's laughable and kind of reminded me of I Spit On Your Grave but with 3 females and some strange/ bad acting. The film does build up suspense when the girls try to get away and fails till the climatic revenge attack. View with a open mind.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Mothers-Day.jpg (72.5 KB, 5 views)
Old 10th November 2019, 11:00 PM
Cultist on the Rampage

Midsommar

At last I get to see the "Era Defining masterpiece" that everyone who's never seen The Wicker Man or The Ritual loves.

I know a lot of people on here love it so let's just say not my cup of (mushroom) tea. Really looooooooong & boring, then it becomes a comedy! So I am definately not going on 5 star reviews any more.

0/10
Old 10th November 2019, 11:35 PM
Cult Veteran
Cult Labs Radio Contributor

Aside from it being a folk horror and the final scene being similar, I don’t understand why some people compare Midsommar to The Wicker Man. They’re not really like each other at all.

I can understand why people wouldn’t enjoy it, it’s a slow film, but it’s one which successfully builds in tension and anxiety but is peppered with a few light hearted beats to calm you down a bit.

I’m looking forward to watching the extended directors cut soon.

Triumphant sight on a northern sky

Old 10th November 2019, 11:47 PM
Cultist on the Rampage

I think the director has had too many self-help sessions, lots of cod-psychology dialogue, and a bunch of unrelatable characters, and basically the lead guy looked too much like Chris Pratt, so his "surprised" face kept making it silly, and the barn scene! Unintentionally funny! The director has been quoted as calling it a "breakup movie" and listing stuff like Clueless as his inspiration. I just found it a really weird mix. A bit of personal experience is good for art but not to the point of boring the audience to death.

All these "big names" in horror (Jordan Peele etc) are just producing passable stuff but the generation of people giving them "scariest movie ever" reviews have probably never seen anything before 2014.

I'm probably just old & cranky but keep getting disappointed with these things.
Old 11th November 2019, 12:06 AM
Cult Veteran
Good Trader

Quote:
Originally Posted by Justin101 View Post
Aside from it being a folk horror and the final scene being similar, I don’t understand why some people compare Midsommar to The Wicker Man. They’re not really like each other at all.

I can understand why people wouldn’t enjoy it, it’s a slow film, but it’s one which successfully builds in tension and anxiety but is peppered with a few light hearted beats to calm you down a bit.

I’m looking forward to watching the extended directors cut soon.
Like the vvitch slow build up to actually not a lot .

PS I've not seen Midsommer, tbh I don't rush much to see owt these days, always wait till the hype died down and I've read all reviews from critics and film fans before making my mind up if to watch something or not, rather listen to what viewers (film fans ) have to say than film critics tho.
Old 11th November 2019, 12:10 AM
Cult Veteran
Good Trader

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrBarlow View Post
Mother's Day 1980.

3 college girls take a trip to the woods and are kidnapped by two boys, who take them home and torture them to please their loving mother.

Not the best 80s film, its something that was probably original back then but now it's laughable and kind of reminded me of I Spit On Your Grave but with 3 females and some strange/ bad acting. The film does build up suspense when the girls try to get away and fails till the climatic revenge attack. View with a open mind.
Its troma what do you expect .
Old 11th November 2019, 06:37 AM
Cultist on the Rampage

Quote:
Originally Posted by gag View Post
Like the vvitch slow build up to actually not a lot .

PS I've not seen Midsommer, tbh I don't rush much to see owt these days, always wait till the hype died down and I've read all reviews from critics and film fans before making my mind up if to watch something or not, rather listen to what viewers (film fans ) have to say than film critics tho.
That's true, and kronically I loved The Witch! Lol! Very talky & quiet & weird but it had me interested in a way Midsommar did not. Older films (in general) definately better, in my opinion.
Demoncrat likes this.
Old 11th November 2019, 10:37 AM
Cult Veteran
Good Trader

The Quest 1996.

A group of people travel to the lost city to take part in a fighting tournament and try to steal the prize, a golden dragon trophy.

Saw this when it first came out in 96 and loved it, Van Damme directorial debut was not as bad as it was expected to be. This doesn't have his usual stuff, gun fight, killing people etc, it does have different styles of martial arts. Roger Moore stars as the Honorable Lord Dobbs who provides good laughs with his sidekick Harry ( Jack Mcgee). Along the way they pose as valet and fighting commission party to American Maxie devine played by James Remar (The Warriors) and journalist Carrie Newton (Janet Gunn) intends to write a article on the competition. Abdel Qissi (A.W.O.L) co stars as the Mongolian fighter Khan. For fans of Van Damme or different forms of martial arts this will entertain.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg the-quest-1996.jpg (57.3 KB, 3 views)

Like this? Share it using the links below!