Go Back   Cult Labs > Film Discussions > General Film Discussions

Like Tree179037Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 11th November 2019, 11:50 AM
Cult King
Cult Labs Radio Contributor
Senior Moderator

The Case of the Frightened Lady (1940)

Based on the play by crime writer Edgar Wallace, The Case of the Frightened Lady sadly wasn't the old dark house movie i was hoping for. All the ingredients are present and correct but aside from a few well constructed spooky scenes this is more crime whodunnit than horror. One of those scenes does work remarkably well as our heroine (Penelope Dudley Ward) descends a dimly lit staircase as a ghostly figure follows behind her depicted by a shadow on the wall.

Still having said that it's still an enjoyable enough affair that at a mere 76 minutes doesn't outstay it's welcome.

The dvd from Odeon looks and sounds excellent.
Old 11th November 2019, 12:51 PM
Cult Veteran
Good Trader

Krull 1983.

A prince and some of his henchmen he gathers along the way to rescue a princess from a fortress run by aliens.

This was like Medievil times meets the future, back in the days before CGI were created and the effects were believable and some good acting make this film better than it sounds. Although the film is well over two hours and may seem to drag on it does move at as decent pace even though some of it may seem confusing it gets better as it goes on, and there is always one annoying person who seems to hate everything at a turn, still a good movie from the childhood era.

Will try and attempt to watch Midsommer
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 4152636659_44ae85dcac_b.jpg (78.8 KB, 4 views)
Old 11th November 2019, 04:25 PM
Cult Veteran
Good Trader

Midsommar 2019

After a tragic death, a group of people take their friend to Sweden, and join in on a celebration at a community that's held every 90 years, somethings don't feel right when they start disappearing.

This started to have a bit of potential, interesting premise and a community that was like watching ancient celtic druids but went slowly way off track and didn't make much sense, ok there was some magic mushroom taking but maybe the audience should take them to enjoy the film. The acting wasn't too bad they do try to keep it together and nice cinematography of the landscapes but they don't help to save the film.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg dims.jpg (95.6 KB, 5 views)
Old 11th November 2019, 06:00 PM
Cultist on the Rampage

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrBarlow View Post
Midsommar 2019

After a tragic death, a group of people take their friend to Sweden, and join in on a celebration at a community that's held every 90 years, somethings don't feel right when they start disappearing.

This started to have a bit of potential, interesting premise and a community that was like watching ancient celtic druids but went slowly way off track and didn't make much sense, ok there was some magic mushroom taking but maybe the audience should take them to enjoy the film. The acting wasn't too bad they do try to keep it together and nice cinematography of the landscapes but they don't help to save the film.
It felt like the kids from american pie were in it! THE BARN SCENE!!!!!The look on the guy's face!
Demoncrat likes this.
Old 11th November 2019, 08:42 PM
Cult Veteran
Good Trader

More wacky and crazy than the first , with the gremlins being released in a skyscraper in new York . In some ways with the all out craziness enjoyed this more than the first. We even have a musical number from the beasties. Watch out for Christopher Lee as a mad scientist. 8/10

6.5/10

Yawn! 4/10

Another yawner from netflix. 4/10

Now watching one of my favourites. It might of been mauled by the critics and a box office failure , but I just love this film. Critics what the hell do they know.

Old 11th November 2019, 09:09 PM
Cult Veteran
Good Trader

Child's Play 2019.

A young boy receives a Buddi Doll and it develops a mind of its own.

A new remake of the original 80s film and was enjoyable, different take on the story, i was going into it with a motion that it be another remake that sucks and the plot wouldn't work but gave it time and had its moments of horror and some laughs. There is some decent acting from Aubrey Plaza as the devoted working parent and Gabriel Bateman as the young Andy. Mark Hamill provides the voice of the doll (don't expect it to be as good as Brad Dourif) and small appearance by Tim Matheson as the head of the Kaslan industry.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg chucky-childs-play.jpg (28.7 KB, 5 views)
Old 11th November 2019, 09:14 PM
Cult Veteran
Good Trader

The VVitch. Now there's a film.

The Final Programme (1973, Robert Fuest)

A brave attempt at filming a Moorcock novel. Why no one has thought about reviving this, as tis very prescient what with the non binary and all that. Ahem.
Jon Finch channels Beethoven whilst embodying Jerry Cornelius, a dilettante extraordinaire who after his father's demise is harangued by all sorts who all want their hands on Dads research. Thrilling innit?
A tad meandering, it's a product of its time to be fair. Much like Midsommar in fact. Let's see if people return to it after 46 years
If I ever see the name Ari Aster again it will be too soon
Next!!!

[B]
"... the days ahead will be filled with struggle ... and coated in marzipan ... "[/B]
Old 11th November 2019, 09:15 PM
Cult Veteran
Good Trader

Quote:
Originally Posted by trebor8273 View Post

More wacky and crazy than the first , with the gremlins being released in a skyscraper in new York . In some ways with the all out craziness enjoyed this more than the first. We even have a musical number from the beasties. Watch out for Christopher Lee as a mad scientist. 8/10

6.5/10

Yawn! 4/10

Another yawner from netflix. 4/10

Now watching one of my favourites. It might of been mauled by the critics and a box office failure , but I just love this film. Critics what the hell do they know.

Hudson hawk is one of those films where people opinion is different from critics, critics hate it public like it, or vice Versa critics love it and public hate, nothing wrong with Hudson hawk been a while since I've seen eg 20yr r so. imdb are more for than against and decent reviews.
Old 11th November 2019, 09:28 PM
Cult Veteran
Good Trader

The Room

Calm yourselves.
A couple buy a new house.
Interesting take on the old monkeys paw bit.
Somewhat silly in places.
Yet another flick where I was left thinking "... so what was that all about then?
It's got a snowman cough
Next!!!

[B]
"... the days ahead will be filled with struggle ... and coated in marzipan ... "[/B]
Old 11th November 2019, 10:33 PM
Active Cultist

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nostalgic View Post
It felt like the kids from american pie were in it! THE BARN SCENE!!!!!The look on the guy's face!
Now I need to watch this movie!!

On topic:

Quote:
A hitchhiker named Martel Gordone gets in a fight with two bikers over a prostitute, and one of the bikers is killed. Gordone is arrested and sent to prison, where he joins the prison's boxing team in an effort to secure an early parole and to establish his dominance over the prison's toughest gang
Oh yes! Now this is a movie, atrocious acting, boxers that not manage to hit each other for 5 minutes, sex scenes between fights - Love it! Blaxploitation classic - now I really need to watch find the II and III

Like this? Share it using the links below!