LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 11th November 2019, 10:39 PM
Cult King
Cult Labs Radio Contributor
Senior Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Demoncrat View Post
The VVitch. Now there's a film.

The Final Programme (1973, Robert Fuest)

A brave attempt at filming a Moorcock novel. Why no one has thought about reviving this, as tis very prescient what with the non binary and all that. Ahem.
Jon Finch channels Beethoven whilst embodying Jerry Cornelius, a dilettante extraordinaire who after his father's demise is harangued by all sorts who all want their hands on Dads research. Thrilling innit?
A tad meandering, it's a product of its time to be fair. Much like Midsommar in fact. Let's see if people return to it after 46 years
If I ever see the name Ari Aster again it will be too soon
Next!!!
Ha, stop watching Network releases. That's another i had earmarked which i'll place back on the shelf.

I'm starting to dread my Christmas horror fest. I've got Hereditary and Midsommar down to watch.

No Peele though. I refuse to stoop so low.
Old 11th November 2019, 10:51 PM
Cult Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by Demoncrat View Post
The Room

Calm yourselves.

A couple buy a new house.

Interesting take on the old monkeys paw bit.

Somewhat silly in places.

Yet another flick where I was left thinking "... so what was that all about then?

It's got a snowman cough

Next!!!
You had my hopes up there that it was Tommy Wiseaus masterpiece

Sent from my PRA-LX1 using Tapatalk
Demoncrat likes this.
Old 12th November 2019, 01:13 PM
Cult Veteran
Good Trader

Jurassic Park 1993.

Four People are invited to a new kind of theme park involving dinosaurs along with the park owner's grandchildren. When a employee plans to steal DNA, the power goes down and the dinosaurs are let loose.

This is a great action, science-fiction film based on the Michael Crichton novel brought to life by Steven Spielberg, ever since seeing this film at the cinema i totally loved it .Sam Neil (The Final Conflict) stars as Dr Alan Grant, a palaeontologist, along with his partner Dr Ellie Sattler, played by Laura Dern (Rambling Rose), Jeff Goldblum (The Fly) plays mathematician Dr Ian Malcolm and Martin Ferrero (High Spirits) as Gennaro, a Lawyer are invited by John Hammond played well by Richard Attenborough to be the first to visit the park.

There is stunning visual effects that haven't outdated with the creation of the dinosaurs that were brought to life by Stan Winston which CGI actually worked and animatronics that make them look scary and a brilliant score by composer John Williams, Speilberg knew what to do and how to make a big blockbuster hit with this film.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg images.jpg (6.6 KB, 5 views)
Old 12th November 2019, 05:05 PM
Cult King
Cult Labs Radio Contributor
Senior Moderator

The Headless Ghost (1959)

An Anglo / American comedy horror about three exchange students who visit an old English castle on a trip and end up coming into contact with the local ghosts.

As far as comedy goes this isn't really that funny and as a horror film it also fails, neither funny nor scary, but oddly creepy at times, The Headless Ghost features friendly spectres rather than the usual malevolent entities which add to it's entertainment value, coming across as a fifties version of Rentaghost rather than a real horror film.

Good production values, especially in the FX dept and a real castle location help matters as well as lively characters, both living and dead.The film's standout moment features Josephine Blake who has a memorably sexy scene as a slave girl who performs a slinky table top dance for the other spirits in the castle.

The Headless Ghost isn't a classic by any means. It's poster is far better than anything on offer in the film. However it's short running time of sixty minutes should ensure boredom never sets in.

Although extras free, the Network dvd looks and sounds great and comes recommended to British horror enthusiasts.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Headlessghopstpost.jpg (95.3 KB, 5 views)
Old 12th November 2019, 06:39 PM
Cult Veteran
Good Trader

Quote:
Originally Posted by bleakshaun View Post
You had my hopes up there that it was Tommy Wiseaus masterpiece

Sent from my PRA-LX1 using Tapatalk

Yeah, I will be watching that again ... the next time Aster turns up wi a carryout
Ahem.
bleakshaun likes this.

[B]
"... the days ahead will be filled with struggle ... and coated in marzipan ... "[/B]
Old 12th November 2019, 06:43 PM
Cult Veteran
Good Trader

Quote:
Originally Posted by Demdike@Cult Labs View Post
Ha, stop watching Network releases. That's another i had earmarked which i'll place back on the shelf.

I'm starting to dread my Christmas horror fest. I've got Hereditary and Midsommar down to watch.

No Peele though. I refuse to stoop so low.
Oooh I feel for you there D
I look forward to the reviews then ....
Demdike@Cult Labs likes this.

[B]
"... the days ahead will be filled with struggle ... and coated in marzipan ... "[/B]
Old 12th November 2019, 06:47 PM
Cult Veteran
Good Trader

The Lost World: Jurassic Park 1997.

John Hammond sends a team to another island inhabited by dinosaurs to study them unaware another team have their own agenda.

This was Steven Spielberg's second outing on the films, taken 4 years after the original film on Isla Sorna or Site B. Jeff Goldblum Returns as Dr Ian Malcolm, to join the team of Nick Van Owen (Vince Vaughn) and Eddie Carr (Richard Schiff) and Sarah Harding (Julianne Moore). Pete Postlewaite stars as the big game hunter Roland with his team of hunters.

This may not be fresh original idea but has the same hallmark as the original with good acting, More special effects, great cinematography and added in more suspense and music by John Williams but seems only like we hear a few bars and thats it, Give Mr Spielberg a bigger budget and he can deliver.
Old 12th November 2019, 07:48 PM
Cult Acolyte

^ If only the movie did not have that garbage scene where a Raptor is kicked through the wall by the gymnast.
Old 12th November 2019, 09:04 PM
Cult Veteran
Good Trader

Jurassic Park III 2001.

Dr Alan Grant living a peaceful life is coerced by a couple who plan a holiday to Isla Sorba island, when they arrive and things don't work out, their alternate plan unfolds the couple are looking for their son who went missing with a friend 8 weeks earlier.

Sam Neil returns as Dr Alan Grant, who has put behind him his first experience of Jurassic Park and nothing will entice him to go back. William H Macy stars as businessman Paul Kirby and Tea Leoni as his wife Amanda who make Grant a offer to be a tour guide.

This one i had to watch a few times (3rd time seeing this) to appreciate the film even though Sam Neil stars in it, it seemed a bit more of a let down, the effects were top notch as the previous films and new dinosaur in the midsts of it all a 'Spinosaurus'. It seemed to have abit more comedy element added to it and Dr Harding returns in a small role married to some random guy an has a child, the filmmakers didn't watch the first one where both characters seemed to have a lot of chemistry. Its not great and not bad film.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 13260.jpg (61.4 KB, 4 views)
Old 13th November 2019, 08:30 AM
Cult Acolyte

Doctor Sleep. An adult Danny Torrance struggles to overcome the personal demons remaining from his traumatic childhood experiences at the Overlook Hotel, only for his psychic gift to connect him to a teenage girl who is being hunted by a pack of near-immortal psychic vampires who live off the lifeforce of those 'gifted' with what he calls "the shining". Ewan McGregor and Rebecca Ferguson star in this rather belated sequel to The Shining, based on the Stephen King novel. The film has a few issues - it's definitely too long though perhaps fortunately that flab is more in the first half than the second, which certainly delivers - and the recasting of Danny's parents for the flashback scenes is simultaneously understandable and justifiable yet still somewhat jarring given how much the film otherwise perfectly recreates the iconography of the Overlook from the original film for the climax of this one. But it's still a pretty solid film, with the highlights being Mike Flanagan's typically assured and atmospheric direction and Ferguson's performance as the main villain. Good stuff.

Like this? Share it using the links below!