Cult Labs

Go Back   Cult Labs > Film Discussions > General Film Discussions

Like Tree179037Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 13th November 2019, 07:10 PM
Cult Veteran
Good Trader

Toys Are Not For Children (1972, Stanley H Brasoff)

An oddity. Not your usual drive in sludge, neither is is art pretending to be sludge. Jamie yearns for freedom. And some contact with her estranged father. But life gets in the way don't you know
A friendship with rough n ready Pearl gives her an idea. What she does, frankly bored me to tears. Might have ultra shocking back in the day, but I despair.
For lazy perverts. Next!!!!!

[B]
"... the days ahead will be filled with struggle ... and coated in marzipan ... "[/B]
Old 13th November 2019, 10:39 PM
Cult Veteran
Good Trader

Jurassic World 2015.

Since the failure of Jurassic Park, a new theme park has opened on its site Jurassic World. When the directors create a new genetically modified hybrid dinosaur Indominus Rex and escapes captivity going on a killing spree.

I didn't jump on the new Jurassic film bandwagon when it was released, it was more like jeez another one, how bad will it be, I was wrong, this was actually decent. Bryce Dallas Howard (we can ignore that she was in The Village) plays the new Park directoress who let scientists play God with creations with Dr Henry Wu (BD Wong) at the helm. Chris Pratt stars as Owen who lends a hand with training the raptors. Vincent D'Onofrio plays Hoskins, employee from InGen who seems to be a pain in the ass. Irrfan Khan (Life of Pi) stars as the park's owner and bit hyper in a helicopter.

There is some great visual effects with the CGI that the attractions look more real with good cinematography as well as good acting from everyone who look petrified. Spielberg didn't take the helm with directing only producing and when people offered ideas he went with them knowing what the audience wants. This film did get some bashing about being boring etc but seeing is believing.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg jw_cover.jpg (82.7 KB, 4 views)
Old 14th November 2019, 01:38 AM
Cult Veteran
Good Trader

Jurassic World: Fallen Kingdom 2018.

Three years after the incident at Jurassic World, the island's dormant volcano is active, Claire and Owen campaign to get the dinosaurs to safety, but other people have their own agendas on the prehistoric creatures.

I did feel part of this was like The Lost World, people going to the island, save the dino's and stop bad guys taking the dinosaurs away in cages. On the other hand it was enjoyable Bryce Dallas Howard and Chris Pratt return to help save their animals. Ted Levine (Silence Of The Lambs) stars as mercenary Ken Wheatley who is hired by a second source. James Cromwell co stars as Lockwood who has a agenda on why to save the inhabitants of the island and a nice small appearance by Dr Ian Malcolm.

There are a few new dinosaurs that bring their entertainment and laughs but can have their sad moments. The special effects are good as always even when the T-Rex is asleep and looking to be giving someone a rodeo time. This can raise some questions, can they live amongst humans, life does find away.
Old 14th November 2019, 03:19 PM
Cult King
Cult Labs Radio Contributor
Senior Moderator

Warlords of Atlantis (1978)

Cracking sci-fi fantasy based on Brian Hayles Edgar Rice Burroughs like script. The fourth in an unrelated series from director Kevin Connor and starring Doug McClure.

Full of delights, the story - McClure and ship mates find themselves transported via diving bell to the lost kingdom of Atlantis - is a pacy affair highlighted with several great action set pieces, most notably a giant octopus attack on a ship, and good performances all round, most notably former musical star Cyd Charisse and her phenomenal legs.

The film is spectacular to look at with excellent special effects work and far superior to most of todays CGI monstrosities. In short, Warlords of Atlantis is tremendous fun.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg A1mmkrPL4kL._SL1500_.jpg (101.8 KB, 4 views)
Old 14th November 2019, 08:06 PM
Cult Veteran
Good Trader

Raw Deal 1986.

a former F.B.I. agent turned small town sheriff, is coerced into infiltrate a Chicago Mob after a witness is killed alongside a son of the F.B.I. cheif.

This may not be one of Arnie's best films although he credits director John Irvin for the action push in his career, Arnie plays the former agent asked to infiltrate a mob by friend Harry Shannon (Darren McGavin, A Christmas Story). Sam Wanamaker (Superman IV) plays mobster Luigi Patrovita, who seems to be above the law with his right hand man Paulo Rocca played by Paul Shenar (Scarface).

There is the usual 80s style fights in a alley and gun shooting while driving around in a Mereceds at a construction site, the plot may seem daft and in a mess as it looks like everything is muddled up but it it is interesting to see how it unfolds and with some funny one liners.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg RawDeal.jpg (97.8 KB, 4 views)
Old 14th November 2019, 10:10 PM
Cult Veteran
Good Trader

Total Recall 1990.

When construction worker Doug Quaid visits ReKall Inc for an implantation memory holiday, he thinks he is living the dream of a secret agent, the implantation wasn't inserted, he must figure out who he is and visit the colonised planet Mars to find the answers.

Based on the short story by Philip K. Dick, Paul Verhoeven brings the story to life with the help of Arnie playing the main lead Quaid who's memory has wiped and he must know why. Sharon Stone (Basic Instinct) plays his wife who may or may not be who she is. Michael Ironside (Scanners) plays Richter, sent to kill Quaid. Ronny Cox (Robocop) plays corporate dictor of Mars, Cohagen who runs a mysterious agency and Rachael Ticotin (Con-Air) plays Melina who Qauid has had dreams about.

Rob Bottin lends his skills as special make up designs and creations of the inhabitants of mars which still stand out today and may of been ahead of its time back then. Jerry Goldsmiths background score has always been a favourite and adds well with some of the scenes blended with great cinematography,wiith the BD release the scenes look more brighter and sharper and shows alot more of the reactor area, the film is coming up to 30 years old and still enjoyable.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg main.jpg (84.3 KB, 3 views)
Old 15th November 2019, 12:34 AM
Cult Veteran
Good Trader

predator 2, 1990

In the midst of a heat wave in Los Angeles, war breaks out between drug gangs and L.A.P.D. a alien hunter is in the city for a chance to hunt the civilians.

decent follow up to the original 1987 although no one makes ma return or cameo appearance but there is mention of the South American jungle and the two survivors mention a alien.

Danny Glover (lethal Weapon) stars as Harrigan, a no nonsense L.T. for the police who seems to hate authority. Teamed up with Leona played by maria Conchita Alonso (The Running Man) and Danny (Ruben Blades, Once Upon A Time In Mexico). They are joined by Jerry Lambert played well by the late Bill Paxton, as the cop who likes to tell his stories. Gary Busey leads his team of private staff of federal Investigators.

Stephen Hopkins does a decent job directing this with more action and good visual effects but does seem to lack the suspense moments like the original had. The fight scene towards the end between Glover and the predator did seemed a bit rushed and showed how long the predators have been visiting earth and the battles they had with other life forms. Still enjoyable to watch.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg main.jpg (87.8 KB, 5 views)
Old 15th November 2019, 02:10 AM
Cult Veteran
Good Trader

Xtro 1982.

Sam a middle aged man playing outside with his and dog is abducted by a bright light, 3 years later he returns and is not the same person.

This is a slightly weird bizarre British science-fiction film that makes very little sense (or did i miss something?), it's a cheap B grade movie that was decent to watch, i was told that the movie wasn't great etc, i beg to differ on this, it has some stylish visual effects, good make up, ok the acting may not be the best but the actors do put effort into their performances. Bizarre horror film fans like me will enjoy this.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg MAIN.jpg (42.0 KB, 4 views)
Old 15th November 2019, 02:25 PM
Cultist on the Rampage

Captain Marvel

Still trying to catch up with all the comic book movies just because of the sheer volume of them being produced. This one is ok, a bit of Guardians of the Galaxy, some Dr Strange (existential stuff), the most fun parts being anything involving Nick Fury in the 90's as Sam Jackson is simply amazing!

A lot more confusing than most Marvel pictures & overlong but still quite good.
Old 15th November 2019, 07:09 PM
Cult King
Cult Labs Radio Contributor
Senior Moderator

Cat Girl (1957)

Soon to be Hammer regular Barbara Shelley stars as Leonora, a young woman obsessed by the idea that she is heir to an ancestral curse causing her to develop the ferocious, predatory instincts of a leopard.

Cat Girl is more of a Lewton-esq chiller than Hammer horror. Leaning towards the psycological aspects as seen in Tourneur's Cat People and it's sequel. Just like the Lewton films Cat Girl combines the Gothic with a grittier noir like urban horror, the best example being when Shelley stalks a pretty blonde through the gloomy streets and alleyways. Again reminiscent of a scene from Cat People.

The film grabs your attention from the off and keeps it held tightly throughout it's slender 72 minute run time.

Not as good as Tourneur's classic, but a delightful film in it's own right and one that is well worth discovering.

The dvd from Network is fully restored and looks gorgeous.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Cat_Girl_1957_poster.jpg (80.6 KB, 5 views)

Like this? Share it using the links below!