All AlbumsBlogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Like Tree179482Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 18th November 2019, 02:58 PM
Cult King
Cult Labs Radio Contributor
Senior Moderator

Pet (2016)

Superior entry into the 'Kidnap girl and cage her in the cellar' genre due to a very good script that had twists i seriously didn't see coming which were given foundation with excellent performances from captor Dominic Monaghan and prisoner Ksenia Solo.

To say anymore or give away any plot details would spoil things for any possible viewers.
Old 18th November 2019, 07:50 PM
Cult Veteran
Good Trader

Containment 2015.

Residents in London wake up one morning to find they are sealed in their flats with no answers, when they start making holes in the walls they notice people in Hazerdous Material outside they decide to find the answers themselves.

Gritty British thriller/horror type movie, that relies on strangers joining up with the tense feeling of claustrophobia and nowhere to run. The acting was good in the heat of may happen in real situations and trust. The downside is that what ever caused the outbreak was never really told and what the virus is only the outcome. May be seen as a tough movie to watch when children are involved, view with a open mind.
Old 18th November 2019, 11:24 PM
Cult Veteran
Good Trader

I, Robot 2004.

In the year 2035, Detective Spooner is leading a investigation into the apparent suicide of a leading scientist of United States Robotics. As he is opposed to robots and believes a robot is to blame for killing and rules out suicide, he will follow a trail to something bigger.

Thinking out loud, everyone seems to have visions of robots walking the earth beside humans or robots taking over the universe in revolt on how we humans live, this film dwells on both sides of that. I am not a Will Smith fan but I did enjoy him in this as techno phobe Spooner on a trail that he believes a crime committed by a robot. James Cromwell has a small decent role as the scientist leaving clues and riddles. The visual effects are amazing in this with brilliant cinematography, (dizziness may occur, think epilepsy warning should come with this film). Seeing a trailer didn't do much but after seeing it, well worth a watch 15 years after its release.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 268x0w.jpg (18.5 KB, 6 views)
Old 19th November 2019, 11:49 AM
Cult King
Senior Moderator

The House in Nightmare Park (1973)

Frankie Howerd and Ray Milland star in this pastiche of the Gothic horror films of the period.

Potentially this 'Old Dark House' movie has a lot going for it, but largely it's a film that misses the mark when it comes to both horror and comedy as the script simply isn't that interesting. Following an excellent atmospheric journey to the house for Howerd things all go a bit pear shaped. Although Howerd is excellent it's him alone that makes the film watchable, it's his personality that gets me through the film because the script from Clive Exton and Terry Nation is basically an unfunny clunky affair. Howerd seems ill fitted to his lines, maybe it wasn't written for him, (i could imagine Vincent Price playing the part of Foster Twelvetrees comfortably), but the fact he remains as watchable as ever is purely down to him rather than anything scripted. Ray Milland seems to be playing his role straight, or perhaps that's just simply Ray Milland.

As far as Frankie Howerd films go this is certainly no Up Pompeii, yet for all it's flaws i still find it a watchable enough movie and think it works better than other examples of the Gothic horror comedy such as Carry On Screaming (1966) and Bloodbath at the House of Death (1984).
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 53075_1_front.jpg (32.4 KB, 7 views)
Old 19th November 2019, 08:32 PM
Cult Veteran
Good Trader

Enter The Dragon 1973.

A martial artist is recruited by a government agency to spy on a crime lord during a tournament held on a island fortress.

One of Bruce Lee's finest and sadly last film ever made, he plays Mr Lee who is asked to be a spy and report anything on reclusive Han (Shih Kien). John Saxon co stars as Roper, a gambler in debt to a mob and Jim Kelly as Williams who escaped by beating two racist cops.

The fight scenes are well choreographed as it was done by Lee himself and worked as a uncredited writer. Although it may seem like a spy-ring film there is a hint of revenge which is told and goes against Bob Wall who appeared in Lee's earlier films. From start to finish it never gets old or boring and was amazing to see it fully uncut as some scenes were edited into other films and some up and coming Chinese stars in their earlier roles.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg EnterTheDragon-Poster.jpg (102.4 KB, 6 views)
Old 19th November 2019, 11:37 PM
Cult Veteran
Good Trader

The Mission 1986.

A Spanish Jesuit travels to South America to build a mission with the intent of converting the natives. When Spain sells the the land to Portugal, they will have to defend what they have built.

This has it all from director Roland Joffé, brilliant acting from both Jeremy irons and Robert De Niro, one being the Jesuit and the other being a hunter who is slowly converted and the natives whom were real and kids with funny laughs. There is brilliant visual locations in and around the shoot with the Iguazú Waterfalls, Paraná River with a good haunting score by Ennio Morricone. It may not be for everyone but certainly worth taking a look at.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 0883929690015_p0_v1_s550x406.jpg (28.7 KB, 7 views)
Old 21st November 2019, 08:02 PM
Cult Veteran
Good Trader

Bad Dreams 1988

A lone survivor of a cult suicide awakes after a 13 year coma in a psychiatry unit, only for those around her to start dying in mysterious circumstances.

I never had much high hopes for this film after seeing the trailer, it was like another American religious cult spouting the end of the world and do what Jim Jones did, except we shall burn etc...i was wrong this was failry decent ghost story with a twist.

Richard Lynch stars as the cult leader Harris who baptises new girl Cynthia and proclaims they well be together forever, His menacing persona and turns up in different areas looking for people to take in Cynthia's place. Jennifer Rubin (A.N.M.O.E.S. part 3: dream warriors) Plays the older Cynthia who is slowly talking about what happened and trying to save people. Bruce Abbot (Re-animator) plays the psychiatrist trying to help her remember and prove she may be suffering multiple personalities. Harris Yulin plays the chief doctor who may have ideas of his own with the patients.

Andrew Fleming (The Craft) done a decent job with his directorial debut, he manages to keep everything going with a steady pace and kept things simple when there is flashback sequences that are not confusing and other patients dealing with different mental health issues. There is a small splatter of blood that seems to be kept low (maybe due to budget reasons) and nice make up done for the Harris character, defo say this is one to watch.
Old 21st November 2019, 09:12 PM
Cult Veteran
Good Trader

The Mountain (2019)

Period piece. Very restful on the eye. Udo ... briefly. I really mean it this time when I say twas unique ahem.
Reminded me of A Cure For Wellness, though that might have been the pacing cough.
Not recommended to Sidaris fans

[B]
"... the days ahead will be filled with struggle ... and coated in marzipan ... "[/B]
Old 21st November 2019, 10:18 PM
Cult King
Senior Moderator

2001: A Space Odyssey (1968)

Stanley Kubrick's seminal sci-fi film is an interesting throwback to the sixties. At times beautiful yet mostly pointlessly dull. The prologue involving apes is absorbing and the transformation from bone to spaceship stunning but what follows is a twenty minute gorgeously stylized promo video for Johan Strauss's classic waltz The Blue Danube then ninety minutes of pretentious boredom which i'm sure even devotees of the film will struggle to counter balance what it all means.

The end result is a piece of science fiction photography which is sumptuous to the eye, crystalline beauty to the ear, hypnotic to the mind, yet utterly boring.

This was the first time i've ever managed to sit through the film which in itself feels like some sort of achievement. Sorry, i simply don't like this film. Shit happens!

Last edited by Demdike@Cult Labs; 21st November 2019 at 10:31 PM.
Old 22nd November 2019, 12:05 AM
Cult Veteran
Good Trader

Seeing as I bought the carry on boxset been watching them in order , just watched 3rd one carry on Teacher yet most of the cast have still to make a appearance, there is only 3 that appeared in more than 20 films, despite Sid James and barbara Windsor being the 2 main cast that people name they aren't them, I googled it, Barbera Windsor only appeared in 10.

Despite the early ones being a bit dated now there still a fun watch even if they aren't exactly belly laughs.

Truth be told there is a fair few I've never fully watched all the way.

Like this? Share it using the links below!