Like Tree179039Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 8th December 2019, 07:25 PM
Cult King
Cult Labs Radio Contributor
Senior Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dave Boy View Post
^ Never seen this. I'll check it out on Christmas Day evening.
It's on the Horror Channel at 9pm.
It's pretty good. Well worth a purchase. Not as good as Trick r' Treat when it comes to modern anthologies but certainly up there with Tales of Halloween when it comes to festive fun.
Old 8th December 2019, 10:45 PM
Cult Veteran
Good Trader

The original and still the best. It's interesting to see the difference in the way the film is shot, first half is brightly lit and Spacious but once the xenomorph leaves John Hurt, it all turns dark and claustrophobic. 9.5/10

A fascinating documentary on the Voyage space program. 9/10
Old 8th December 2019, 10:57 PM
Cult King
Senior Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by trebor8273 View Post

The original and still the best.
You jest surely? What about Aliens vs. Predator: Requiem?
trebor8273 and bleakshaun like this.
Old 8th December 2019, 11:24 PM
Cult King
Senior Moderator

Default Decemberdike # 5

The Black Torment (1964)

In 1780 Sir Richard Fordyke returns to his castle and finds himself under suspicion of rape, murder and witchcraft.

The film is a darkly lit piece, together with the constant talk of ghostly goings on and the atmospheric sound effects, which although mono perform well on a 5:1 surround system, which when thrown in the mix create a spooky, edgy, creepy masterpiece that gives the viewer a complete feeling of unease. As with so many great films of the time, the terror is mainly applied by suggestion - a banging window, ghostly silhouettes in the moonlight for example.

The films lack of recognised horror stars from the time adds to the authenticity of the piece. As an example you know Peter Cushing will always prevail no matter what the odds are stacked against him. With The Black Torment the viewer has no such securities, and any of the cast could come to a grisly end, again this adds to the feeling of unease throughout.

The film is closer in style to the Italian gothics of the time rather than the stylishly colourful output from Hammer.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg the-black-torment-movie-poster-1964-1020678190.jpg (66.6 KB, 5 views)
Old 9th December 2019, 07:42 PM
Cultist on the Rampage

Watched Once Upon A Time In Hollywood.

Despite fine performances and humour and what seems like an excellent recreation of the late 1960's, being honest I did personally find the first 90 minutes or so to be a slight bit of a slog (the film is over two and a half hours long).

From the point when Brad Pitt gives a hitchhiker a lift home, the film really starts to hit it's mark. I couldn't fault it from then onwards!

Like Inglorious Basterds, Tarantino gives another fictional account of history and this is very much how you wish that history had happened. Film score - bit undecided after one viewing but probably a 7.5 out of 10.

I might be too harsh with that score, my first viewing take on the film certainly wasn't helped by reading some internet folks claiming that it's one of Tarantino's very best movies (which caused far too high expectations).
Old 9th December 2019, 08:49 PM
Cult Veteran
Good Trader

Black Christmas 1974.

A crazed stalker slowly murders sisters at a sorritory house while police don't believe them until a police lieutenant takes charge after a girl is found dead in a park.

Bob Clark's psychological slasher horror that's still a classic packed with a dark atmospheric house and great acting from all involved Olivia Hussey, Margot Kidder, Kier Dullea and John Saxon. Do we really need a second remake of this film...i think not
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 7576bf1f067e4398371e1fc73c56892a.jpg (89.1 KB, 5 views)
Old 9th December 2019, 10:00 PM
Cultist on the Rampage

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrBarlow View Post
Black Christmas 1974.

A crazed stalker slowly murders sisters at a sorritory house while police don't believe them until a police lieutenant takes charge after a girl is found dead in a park.

Bob Clark's psychological slasher horror that's still a classic packed with a dark atmospheric house and great acting from all involved Olivia Hussey, Margot Kidder, Kier Dullea and John Saxon. Do we really need a second remake of this film...i think not
I saw the trailer for the new remake & thought it was the first remake, looks exactly the same!!!! Original only please! Just say NO......to remakes!
Dave Boy, iank and MrBarlow like this.
Old 9th December 2019, 11:07 PM
Cult Master

AAAABcIq8iIIdDtlG5L8IkIsi1xFBM8sZvAqIySU9N-kQ3ZxDG11JrIfi1CQ2OBJ9llXc4FKVnsmy7_2EL-aXMw0ehJIV3Gz.jpg

Hal is crowned king after his father dies and is determined to right the wrong of his father. He wants peace and refuses to engage in war for the sake of war but peace always comes at a cost but how far is young Henry V going to go to achieve his vision of a strong but peaceful England.

Beautifully acted written directed and scored The King has a strange feeling a haunting brooding feeling its hard to describe but its fantastic its sometimes slow but always interesting and the battle scene and fights are so realistic there are no choreographed fancy sword fights they are gritty brutal and dirty people are fighting for their lives by any means nessacary and you get a feeling of suffocating and claustrophobia watching them.

Fantastic film

8/10
Old 10th December 2019, 12:12 AM
Cult Veteran
Good Trader

Sint (Saint) 2010.

December 5th 1492 Ad, St. Niklas, a fallen bishop raids a village and when the locals exact revenge. every December 5th and a full moon Niklas returns for his revenge.

Dick Mass and Huub Stapel (Der Lift and Amsterdamned) join up for this Dutch holiday season horror flick, i forgot how good it was, it's entertaining but really not to be taken seriously as St Nik aint a jolly old fat man but a tall skinny one that seems to be on the same par as the devil. The version i watched was subtitles (unknown if a english/dubbed version is available), the acting is good, and decent special and visual effects are actually decent and good gore fest ahead, worth a watch.
Old 10th December 2019, 11:51 AM
Cult King
Senior Moderator

Default Decemberdike # 6

47 Meters Down (2017)

Two girls alone at the bottom of the ocean, stuck in a shark cage with their oxygen tanks running low. Although it's a new idea there's a big feeling of deja-vu about 47 Meters Down and there's nothing here you won't have seen elsewhere if not for as long.

The peril comes more from the fact the oxygen is running low rather than mass shark attacks that the girls (Mandy Moore and Claire Holt - both good value for money) have to survive. Whilst the film is never gut wrenchingly tense it's constantly watchable and a decent ninety minutes entertainment.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 47-meters-down-2017-07.jpg (95.7 KB, 4 views)

Like this? Share it using the links below!