Cult Labs

Go Back   Cult Labs > Film Discussions > General Film Discussions

Like Tree179039Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 10th December 2019, 12:12 PM
Cult Veteran
Good Trader

The Irishman

Quite a sedate wee thing after Rambo tbh. the "de aging" looked slightly silly in places, so why no use younger actors like ina Goodfellas huh? Maricon!
didn't really feel like a long film, as it didn't drag. Recommended.

[B]
"... the days ahead will be filled with struggle ... and coated in marzipan ... "[/B]
Old 10th December 2019, 01:56 PM
Cult Master
Cult Labs Radio Contributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Demoncrat View Post
The Irishman

Quite a sedate wee thing after Rambo tbh. the "de aging" looked slightly silly in places, so why no use younger actors like ina Goodfellas huh? Maricon!
didn't really feel like a long film, as it didn't drag. Recommended.
Really enjoyed it myself it felt like a 90 minute film just flew by.
Old 10th December 2019, 08:35 PM
Cult Veteran
Good Trader

Fred Claus. 2007.

Fred is the bitter older brother of St. Nicholas, when Fred runs into money problems he goes to North Pole to work for it, while a efficiency officer is there to shut down Santa's workshop.

Vince Vaughn stars as the big brother Fred who lives in the shadow of Nicholas played by Paul Giamatti who seems a bit stressed out when Clive Northcutt played well by Kevin Spacey who holds a grudge and wants to shut down the North Pole.

It may not be a masterpiece or the best Santa Claus movie but it does have its laughs and adult jokes that will fly over kids heads and the in group Brother Annonymous with some famous sibling rivalry, worth a watch.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 16-9.jpg (109.1 KB, 5 views)
Old 10th December 2019, 08:48 PM
Cult Veteran
Good Trader

Indeed. It'll be getting the purchase etc.

After hearing Layla on Steve Wright at work, I decided to revisit Goodfellas.
Meet Henry and pals. A loverly bunch. Just don't piss them off
A whirlwind of violence and music and betrayal. The editing in some scenes is peerless in my opinion.
It all ends with Sid's version of My Way, which is quite fitting.

[B]
"... the days ahead will be filled with struggle ... and coated in marzipan ... "[/B]
Old 10th December 2019, 09:05 PM
Cult Veteran
Good Trader

Karate Warrior (1987)

What's a young man to do? The local 'hard man' is quick to anger and isn't used to being upstaged. Kicking occurs. A showdown is sought. Undemanding fish out of water tale. Not every flick can be as crazed as I secretly crave. But the villain is a hoot. Sleeveless leather top and shades. Lawdy etc. Though the protagonist's stonewashed parachute pants don't quite make it either
Cue Killing Joke's Eighties ....

[B]
Old 10th December 2019, 10:01 PM
Cult Veteran
Good Trader

Essex Boys: Retribution (Paul Tranter)

And this will be the last time I see that Range Rover drive down that country lane
Nae since the first August Underground have I spent time in the company of such c**ts. Responsible for the outbreak of the "legal" drug meow meow, this little firm are played as utter bell ends. It must be my age
Or the rather flat direction maybe ::

[B]
Old 10th December 2019, 10:34 PM
Cultist on the Rampage

C.H.U.D.

Basically, amazing sclock-horror from the 80's, folk are getting killed/missing in the NY area, a policeman's wife disappears so he investigates. Genuinely brilliant New York movie (see also Maniac, Maniac Cop, Taxi Driver), a document of it's time, very engaging & fun....

9/10

CHUD 2 is . Lined up, never seen it, hoping its good!
Old 10th December 2019, 10:49 PM
Cult Veteran
Good Trader

A Christmas Carol. 1999.

An old bitter miser is visited by three Ghosts who will show him the errors of his way and hope to change him into a better man on Christmas Eve.

A re-telling of the novel by Charles Dickens this time Scrooge is played by Patrick Stewart, this version seems a lot darker and on same wave length as the 1984 version played by George C. Scott, but a little bit meaner. Richard E. Grant plays Bob Crachitt, who. Shows how actually poor he is and has pale features.

Some things may have changed from other versions especially with some character names and different things Scrooge is shown by the Ghosts and on Christmas day, it's still decent to watch but can't beat the 1951 Alastair Sim version.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 250px-AChristmasCarol1999Cover.jpg (19.6 KB, 5 views)
Old 11th December 2019, 06:19 PM
Cult King
Senior Moderator

Default Decemberdike # 7

Killer Party (1986)

Part unfunny frat comedy part horror film. It's been four days since i sat down to watch this and I genuinely don't remember anything about this film other than 80's hard rock band White Sister perform on stage.

Cool cover though!
Attached Images
File Type: jpg killer-party-movie-poster-1986-1020199150.jpg (88.5 KB, 5 views)
Old 11th December 2019, 10:40 PM
Cult King
Senior Moderator

The Glass House (2001)

Leelee Sobieski stars in this decent if unspectacular thriller about a suddenly orphaned teen and her brother who have to move in with foster parents who are not all they seem.

A good cast (as well as Sobieski we have Stellan Skarsgard, Diane Lane and Bruce Dern) make this enjoyably watchable yet i feel they also detract from what could have been a bit of a classic exploitation film had star names not been involved and it been not as Hollywood-ized.

In a way The Glass House is almost comfort viewing as it's likable enough, keeps you involved, has a certain amount of tension and thrills but doesn't go OTT with it's horror / psycho aspects.

A DTV sequel arrived five years later minus star names which i intend to watch at some point.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 220px-The_Glass_House_(2001_film).jpg (15.6 KB, 5 views)

Like this? Share it using the links below!