Go Back   Cult Labs > Film Discussions > General Film Discussions

Like Tree179020Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 3rd January 2020, 08:19 PM
Cult Veteran
Good Trader

Quote:
Originally Posted by Demdike@Cult Labs View Post
Give me Drive Angry over Avengers Endgame any day. Sorry.

It ain't three hours long for a start.
Snap and I'm not a fan of nic cage lol .
Demdike@Cult Labs likes this.
Old 3rd January 2020, 08:20 PM
Cultist on the Rampage

Drive Angry is quite good fun.
Old 3rd January 2020, 08:30 PM
Cult Don
Cult Labs Radio Contributor
Good Trader
Senior Moderator

Quote:
Give me Drive Angry over Avengers Endgame any day. Sorry.

It ain't three hours long for a start.
Quote:
Originally Posted by gag View Post
Snap and I'm not a fan of nic cage lol .
Quote:
Originally Posted by Deadite View Post
Drive Angry is quite good fun.
It seems I'm the odd one out here because I thought it was boring!
Deadite likes this.
Old 4th January 2020, 11:13 AM
Cult Veteran
Good Trader

If .... (1968, Lindsay Anderson)

Malcolm McDowell's first film is still a landmark of British Cinema. Ably presented by esteemed theatre director Anderson, with a cast of stalwarts representing the hidebound Establishment which ends in our current situation tbh cough. Surviving attacks, both physical and mental, an unlikely band of rebels seek revenge on their "captors", which caught the mood of the time quite fortuitiously. The Eureka BD looked reasonably decent. It's not The Umbrellas Of Cherbourg this one, so wasn't expecting miracles
Highly Recommended.

[B]
"... the days ahead will be filled with struggle ... and coated in marzipan ... "[/B]
Old 4th January 2020, 03:09 PM
Cult King
Cult Labs Radio Contributor
Senior Moderator

Default Decemberdike # 27

In Fabric (2018)

Essentially a psychological horror film with a wicked streak of black humour about a haunted red dress bought from a London department store.

I've loved all of director Peter Strickland's previous films and In Fabric is no exception. It's perhaps funnier than what has come before but it's no less surreal. Often it feels, style wise, like an Italian film from the early seventies, but here the focus is on satirizing consumerism rather than gory murders by black gloved killers.

The colour's of the film are reminiscent of Suspiria with it's gaudy reds and greens and yellows as are the repetitive synth motifs on the soundtrack.

At almost two hours it is about twenty minutes too long and isn't as good on first watch as Katalin Varga, Berberian Sound Studio or The Duke of Burgundy, but it is an intriguing and often beguiling watch and i'm sure more of it's secrets will be revealed on further viewings.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg In_Fabric-817713928-large.jpg (95.8 KB, 4 views)
Old 4th January 2020, 08:07 PM
Cult Veteran
Good Trader

Quote:
In Fabric (2018)

Essentially a psychological horror film with a wicked streak of black humour about a haunted red dress bought from a London department store.

I've loved all of director Peter Strickland's previous films and In Fabric is no exception. It's perhaps funnier than what has come before but it's no less surreal. Often it feels, style wise, like an Italian film from the early seventies, but here the focus is on satirizing consumerism rather than gory murders by black gloved killers.

The colour's of the film are reminiscent of Suspiria with it's gaudy reds and greens and yellows as are the repetitive synth motifs on the soundtrack.

At almost two hours it is about twenty minutes too long and isn't as good on first watch as Katalin Varga, Berberian Sound Studio or The Duke of Burgundy, but it is an intriguing and often beguiling watch and i'm sure more of it's secrets will be revealed on further viewings.
I really enjoyed this great how it felt 100% like some lost 70s film that been rediscovered, give me this over 99% of today's films, love something that strays away from the usual same old same old. That's why I seek films out like this instead of the mainstream stuff. It's was great joy to watch 1 I'd defiantly recommend.
Old 4th January 2020, 10:33 PM
Cult Veteran
Good Trader

Works better than I thought it would with the two parts made into a seamless movie. A great superman movie that's better than the recent offerings . A lot of changes seem to have been made for the better to the second half compared to what I remember from reign of the supermen. 8/10

Bruce Wayne has been retired for 10 years as the Batman , but with a new gang called the mutants terrorising th citizens of Gotham , he dones the mantle of the Bat once more. But does a 60 year old Bruce still have what it takes? 9/10

Taking place straight after part one, the return of the dark knight , has awakened his greatest foe, the Joker who is looking for a final showdown, if the Batman survives this be will have to face one who was once his greatest friend Superman who's now a lacky of the government. 9/10

Now watching Aquaman.
Old 4th January 2020, 11:11 PM
Cultist on the Rampage

Quote:
Avengers: Endgame (2019)

The cinematic equivalent of a child banging it's action figures together in a three hour clip show.

These movies began as intelligent, occasionally sophisticated, superhero films with warmth and humour but have now become solely an exercise in money making for Disney.

Still, it was better than Infinity War.

I received Captain Marvel for Christmas. From what i saw of her here i don't think it's ever going to be a film i want to watch.
I liked infinity war more, endgame was a bit like return of the king; emotional moments but overlong!

Captain marvel was very disappointing (and I LIKE lots of the marvel films), best thing in it is the 90s setting, sam jackson & the stan lee cameo.

Lets hope Guardians 3 and Black Widow improve the formula!
Old 4th January 2020, 11:15 PM
Cultist on the Rampage

The only Marvel film i'm looking forward to is the 2nd Dr Strange one.

Like this? Share it using the links below!